Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: ELECTRIC KIT CAR
stig mills

posted on 5/3/10 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
ELECTRIC KIT CAR

This clip is not suitable for viewing by petrol heads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d881zk8t2_E

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stonefish1

posted on 5/3/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
noooooooo!!!!!!!
D Beddows

posted on 5/3/10 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Go on then?........ actually VERY interested but you seem to be playing things (like any details!) a bit close to your chest here - even on your website.........

[Edited on 5/3/10 by D Beddows]

Richard Quinn

posted on 5/3/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Can we have a video of the blown V8 genny that you use for charging it instead please?
On a more serious note, nice one! I'm a big fan of stuff like this and the more mainstream hybrids etc. The more of the general public that drive cars that are not directly powered by fossil fuels, the longer the reserves will last for the diehard petrolheads to have fun at the weekend

tegwin

posted on 5/3/10 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
This poses an interesting question...

If I build a small 2 seat buggy with an electric motor... lights etc.. does it need an IVA...? It cant possibly pass emissions etc lol...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Davey D

posted on 5/3/10 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
If you was to build an electric car that was charged via a diesel engine/generator onboard the car would it be legal to run the generator with Red Diesel ?
hughpinder

posted on 5/3/10 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ No, but you could have it running on red if you towed it.

Hugh

MikeR

posted on 5/3/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
If you was to build an electric car that was charged via a diesel engine/generator onboard the car would it be legal to run the generator with Red Diesel ?

Since christmas i've been thinking about this - had the idea for a while and the top gear program sort of crystalised it a bit more.

in my head its two 20hp motors driving each rear wheel. This gives you as much power as an early mini. Keep the weight down to under 500kg and you've got a pretty decent power to weight vehicle.

Trick electronics to speed up / slow down one wheel when cornering to remove the need / weight of a diff. Little diesel generator putting out 10hp should be enough to run the car all day with a few batteries for when you're accelerating.

No figures to back anything up - but gut feel is it would be interesting (which means i've seriously overlooked something and it wouldn't work).

stig mills

posted on 5/3/10 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Go on then?........ actually VERY interested but you seem to be playing things (like any details!) a bit close to your chest here - even on your website.........

Sorry didn't wish to appear to be playing my cards close to my chest. Just didn't want to abuse my privilege by using the forum as an advert. We will be at the shows this year with it and other machines, so please come and say hello.
The one in the clip was MSVA'd. Free tax disc too, now thats nice.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabbahutt

posted on 5/3/10 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
can't access you tube in work what's the link as I'm really interested

Toltec

posted on 5/3/10 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
From what I have found electric motors are pretty expensive $6-10K for 40-70Kw, power controllers are a similar price and then there are the batteries.

It is not like electric powered transport is new, trains have been using it for decades, it is a mature technology so the prices should reflect this. The idea of city/local range EVs is interesting, however the cost against IC does not stack up from what I can see.

I would be more than happy to have my mind changed though.

D Beddows

posted on 5/3/10 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The motor/controller I used is 11/27kw@216v A.C This is mated to a 6-1 diff that takes it to 60mph as the motor spins up to 6000rpm happliy. The GM EV 1 did 11000rpm. The set costs £4000 and batteries £1200, but lithium would increase the range from 50 with Lead to possibly a 100 mile range. They would cost 10x the price though. The controller has a regenerate facility to recapture energy normally wasted when braking. Its great fun to drive, picks up very quickly and is almost silent although on the vid clip the gears sound noisy. All you hear is tyre noise, its has a Sci-Fi feel to it. I love it but you have to be into it as it would take a while to get your money back on fuel saving. Free road tax and charging on E7 means around 0.5p per mile. The other good news is that the test fee is only £104 as its classed as a heavy quadricycle.

as I have nothing whatsoever to do with MEV or Mr Mills I figure it's not a problem for me to post this from the MEV forum....... if I read it properly though a range of 100 miles costing £12,000 in batteries alone makes it a bit less attractive to say the least Oh well......

stig mills

posted on 5/3/10 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Quite right large motors are prohibitively expensive. However when you consider the motors develop full toruqe from standstill then why do we need any more than 15kw. It's not like Tesla are going to replace supercars they are very expensive. Relatively quickly to 60 may sound un exciting but in silence with an equivalent 600 mpg and a free tax disc, well I know it is virtually impossible to convert folk but thanx for looking. It's a def locost though in terms of running one but maybe not the initial £10000 for the EV version of the £4000 Missile is not!
Sorry the clip is so poor, my camera is ancient.

D Beddows

posted on 5/3/10 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
No I'm here to be converted lol - sorry I'm a bit lost with the kw rating of the motor though ....... are you saying the car in the video has a bigger motor than is needed for say just getting around (ie commuting) at speeds up to about 70mph as opposed to what you would want in a 'sports' car? and how would that effect battery requirements?

stig mills

posted on 5/3/10 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
The one in the clip has an 11kw motor, very quick to 60 then it just sits at 60. It needs to be under 15kw to MSVA not BIVA.
Change the gear ratio's and more power is required.
An 11kw motor (peaks at double that) and a Pb battery (mine has 18x60 Ah sealed lead acid's, it runs at 216v) gives you a max range of 80 miles if your careful. A big driver with a heavy right foot and lots of hills/stop starts reduces that considerably though. Wish I was a little lighter. Lithium cells as fitted to most EV's now cost 10xPb, and then need sophisticated charging/monitoring.
All very interesting and fun but un- acceptable performance compared to ICE's.
Hope this helps answer your q

Dangle_kt

posted on 5/3/10 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
quote:

The motor/controller I used is 11/27kw@216v A.C This is mated to a 6-1 diff that takes it to 60mph as the motor spins up to 6000rpm happliy. The GM EV 1 did 11000rpm. The set costs £4000 and batteries £1200, but lithium would increase the range from 50 with Lead to possibly a 100 mile range. They would cost 10x the price though. The controller has a regenerate facility to recapture energy normally wasted when braking. Its great fun to drive, picks up very quickly and is almost silent although on the vid clip the gears sound noisy. All you hear is tyre noise, its has a Sci-Fi feel to it. I love it but you have to be into it as it would take a while to get your money back on fuel saving. Free road tax and charging on E7 means around 0.5p per mile. The other good news is that the test fee is only £104 as its classed as a heavy quadricycle.

as I have nothing whatsoever to do with MEV or Mr Mills I figure it's not a problem for me to post this from the MEV forum....... if I read it properly though a range of 100 miles costing £12,000 in batteries alone makes it a bit less attractive to say the least Oh well......

i'm off to complain to fozzie!

D Beddows

posted on 5/3/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
OK - YOU MAY HAVE BEEN MISINFORMED ABOUT THE CONTENTS OF THIS THREAD HOWEVER!!! PLEASE U2U SOMEONE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING THAT MAY INVOLVE FREE WILL!!!

he he he

coozer

posted on 5/3/10 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have been thinking of convertingmy 100cc Speedfight to electric power.

I was thinking along the lines of 6 red top type batteries and a modest 10hp electric motor.

I want it to go about 60mph and do 50 miles between a recharge.

It needs to be locost, any sensible suggestions on this being viable??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

stig mills

posted on 5/3/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
A 10 hp motor is 7.5kw which at 72v is capable of drawing 100 amps. It will be fully loaded to get you to 50-60 mph. The batteries will probably go flat in half an hour assuming they are 60 Ah. My guess is that realistically the range will only be around 20-25 miles. You could do much better with Li cells but that is not the locost option. Sorry thats not what you wanted to hear.
A1

posted on 5/3/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
aaah...im hurting inside...please make it stop
D Beddows

posted on 5/3/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
sigh - it's not easy being green..

MikeRJ

posted on 5/3/10 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I have been thinking of convertingmy 100cc Speedfight to electric power.

I was thinking along the lines of 6 red top type batteries and a modest 10hp electric motor.

That's really not very modest, it's more powerful than the engine you want to replace!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.