Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: what to do first?
beaver34

posted on 10/3/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
what to do first?

hello,

im rebuilding my car to RHD new bodywork and new engine,

im having the chassis acid dipped this week then powdercoated next week, so i should have it back soon, i want to know what i should do first when i get it back as regards fitting it all back together does anyone have a idiots list im thinking fuel lines wiring loom first then alloy panels etc.....

this is how it looks at moment

blakep82

posted on 10/3/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
i'd go suspension, steering, engine, gearbox, fuel tank and diff first. that way you know exactly where your fuel lines are going, and how long they need to be
then go fuel lines and brake lines. wiring i'd leave til last myself (once all your lights, switches, gauges etc are in) but there's a good arguement for doing it before all the body panels go on

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

eddie99

posted on 10/3/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i'd go suspension, steering, engine, gearbox, fuel tank and diff first. that way you know exactly where your fuel lines are going, and how long they need to be
then go fuel lines and brake lines. wiring i'd leave til last myself (once all your lights, switches, gauges etc are in) but there's a good arguement for doing it before all the body panels go on

I agree mostly with Blake, although i'd do the wiring when you do the fuel lines and brake lines, just before you do the bodywork!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
beaver34

posted on 10/3/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

engine is same as before so fuel lines willl be same, although im modding the tank to stop fuel surge and moving the pickup but i will just use a longer section of flexi fuel pipe insted and redoing all the hard pipe i think,

as regards the wiring im not too sure, i will at least make all the wiring mounts in the tunnel etc..... before putting panels on

thanks for you advice

Miks15

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
surely you need to do all the steering and pedal box mods before getting it dipped and worrying about the rest?
beaver34

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
surely you need to do all the steering and pedal box mods before getting it dipped and worrying about the rest?

all done, see steering column mounts on both sides, modded pedal box and made mounts last night, thanks for being worried for me though

StevieB

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Start with al the components that will involve movement, that way you can route you wiring and fueld safely around them.

Also, if you ever have a breakdown, it'll more than likely be electrical, you'll be miles from home and it'll be raining. Put the elctrics in last and they'll be nice and easy to access if/when you need to

Miks15

posted on 10/3/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15

all done, see steering column mounts on both sides, modded pedal box and made mounts last night, thanks for being worried for me though

Ahh thatwill explain the red oxide paint, looked like it was just shadow and the chassis member blocked the vview of the MC holes.

Would have been a shame to see you grinding off the fresh powdercoat!

beaver34

posted on 10/3/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
Start with al the components that will involve movement, that way you can route you wiring and fueld safely around them.

Also, if you ever have a breakdown, it'll more than likely be electrical, you'll be miles from home and it'll be raining. Put the elctrics in last and they'll be nice and easy to access if/when you need to

thank you, had first hand of that when i broke down at 70mph on the a64 got lucky and coasted into a layby tape on the prop had caught the fuel pump wiring

James

posted on 10/3/10 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
You could consider cutting out the floor ready to replace it with ali once you get the car back. Would save some weight that way.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

beaver34

posted on 11/3/10 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
You could consider cutting out the floor ready to replace it with ali once you get the car back. Would save some weight that way.

HTH,
James

yeah I did think about that, but I think it would need steel suports welding in I was just over 500kg before so it's not really a heavyweight, how much weight could I save by fitting alloy floors?

Thanks

iank

posted on 11/3/10 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
quote:
Originally posted by James

HTH,
James

yeah I did think about that, but I think it would need steel suports welding in I was just over 500kg before so it's not really a heavyweight, how much weight could I save by fitting alloy floors?

Thanks

Around 5-10kg there have been a lot of discussions around this over the years.

Got a figure of 7kg from here
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=42719&page=1

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

designer

posted on 11/3/10 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Acid dipping sounds rather extreme for a chassis, some might just get lodge somewhere.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
beaver34

posted on 11/3/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Acid dipping sounds rather extreme for a chassis, some might just get lodge somewhere.

fine for rally cars etc.... otherwise they cannot re powdercoat it as far as im aware

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.