Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Top work by Exhausts By Design
phelpsa

posted on 21/3/10 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Top work by Exhausts By Design

Just a quick plug. Took the Locost up to them last saturday along with a silencer and basically said 'erm, this joined to that please'. A week later this is what was waiting for us:

It was a pretty mean task as its all pretty tight clearance wise! £520 all inc. Almost a shame to use it and get it dirty!

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/grahamf/index.htm

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 22/3/10 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
neat

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

dan__wright

posted on 22/3/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
graham made my manifold too, piece of art even if i do say so myself
indykid

posted on 22/3/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
looks great but shouldn't (ports 4 and 1) and (ports 2 and 3) be siamesed in a 4-2-1?

the wave pulses will surely be out of phase so you won't get any scavenging.....or does this give you 2 lesser bands of scavenging?
tom

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/3/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
looks great but shouldn't (ports 4 and 1) and (ports 2 and 3) be siamesed in a 4-2-1?

the wave pulses will surely be out of phase so you won't get any scavenging.....or does this give you 2 lesser bands of scavenging?
tom

As far as I am aware, a 4:2:1 is good for torque at low end revs, and a 4:1 is good for power at higher revs. As Adam is using a starter motor from a Pinto, the 4:1 may be more appropriate

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Richard Quinn

posted on 22/3/10 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
quote:

tom

As far as I am aware, a 4:2:1 is good for torque at low end revs, and a 4:1 is good for power at higher revs. As Adam is using a starter motor from a Pinto, the 4:1 may be more appropriate

Looks like a 4:2:1 from the photo

franky

posted on 22/3/10 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
On a bike engine 4-2-1 will give the best power all over, Due to the extra rev's it doesn't quite work out the same as car exhaust theory.... how many aftermarket performance superbike exhausts do you see that are 4-1?

None, all 4-2-1

iank

posted on 22/3/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, but you can't just choose random cylinders to pair up in the 4:2 sections (as far as I'm aware) which is indykid's concern.

[Edited on 22/3/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Richard Quinn

posted on 22/3/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
None, all 4-2-1
Not on my BEC!
(Ok, so it's not strictly a superbike)

eddie99

posted on 22/3/10 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
The picture also looks like a 4-2-1 to me

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
smart51

posted on 22/3/10 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
His question is not "is that a 4 into 2 into 1" but "haven't you joined the wrong pairs of cylinders together?"

phelpsa

posted on 22/3/10 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have no idea on exhaust design... could someone in the know advise?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 22/3/10 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Yes, but you can't just choose random cylinders to pair up in the 4:2 sections (as far as I'm aware) which is indykid's concern.

Yep, think we're all agreed it's a 4-2-1 system (was there ever any debate?), but the question surrounds the appropriateness of the choice of twinned cylinders for the '2' bit!

It's Evolution Baby!

matt_gsxr

posted on 22/3/10 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice and shinny.

Interestingly Graham also made my exhaust and paired them 1 with 4, and 2 with 3.

Mine is basically the same engine (water cooled rather than air cooled). It looks to me like you have longer primaries and secondaries than I have but it could be an illusion.

It would be interesting to see the design documentation, given the name of his company I assume there is some ;-)

I don't have power figures on my engine so don't know whether mine is right or not, but it seems to go alright.

Matt

dan__wright

posted on 22/3/10 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
just had a look at mine and he did 1+4, 2+3

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

wicket

posted on 22/3/10 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Mines a modified Ford part & is 1+4, 2+3
Hellfire

posted on 22/3/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
The firing order of the GSXR 1100 is 1-2-4-3 which would suggest 1&4 should be paired and 2&3 should be paired.

Phil

indykid

posted on 22/3/10 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
huzzah, we got there in the end.

as has been noted by some people, my concern is that 1 and 2 are siamesed, as are 3 and 4.

the theory behind 4-2-1 is driven by the echo of the pressure wave scavencing the other cylinder. if you think of it like a clock, 12 scavenges 6 and vice versa, both 2 cycles away from each other

that manifold has 1 scavenging 2, (3 oclock scavenging 6 o clock) but 2 can't scavenege 1 at the same rpm because it's got to get back to 2's exhaust valves being open....which is 3 cycles away, not 1.

i hope they can either prove their theory or sort it out for you. seems like an expensive manifold to not be tuned
tom

phelpsa

posted on 23/3/10 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
huzzah, we got there in the end.

as has been noted by some people, my concern is that 1 and 2 are siamesed, as are 3 and 4.

the theory behind 4-2-1 is driven by the echo of the pressure wave scavencing the other cylinder. if you think of it like a clock, 12 scavenges 6 and vice versa, both 2 cycles away from each other

that manifold has 1 scavenging 2, (3 oclock scavenging 6 o clock) but 2 can't scavenege 1 at the same rpm because it's got to get back to 2's exhaust valves being open....which is 3 cycles away, not 1.

i hope they can either prove their theory or sort it out for you. seems like an expensive manifold to not be tuned
tom

I've been having a think... surely this would mean the scavenging effect would just happen at a higher rpm so the engine has gone through more cycles before the pulse returns to the exhaust valve? The longer primaries/secondaries brings it down the rev range a bit by increasing the time taken for the pulse to return, so you end up with that extra torque somewhere above where a normal 4-2-1 would put it but below where a 4-1 would (on the same size primaries). I'll get in contact with graham to confirm my theory though.

EDIT: thinking about it it would give a better spread of torque as a small amount of scavenging would occur at two points in the rev range.

I've just remembered that the standard exhaust on the bike is a 4-2-1 in this setup, which is probably why graham did it like that.

[Edited on 23-3-10 by phelpsa]

matt_gsxr

posted on 23/3/10 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Just been googling.

It looks like Yoshimura (who are recognised as being pretty good on this stuff), connect 1-3 and 2-4.

Obviously a bit of a black art.

Are you going to ask Graham why he connected them like he did? He can be a bit gruff!

also like this one (bandit, but same engine as gsxr1100 oil cooled).

Once more proving that I don't understand exhaust design!

Matt

p.s. I like the wheels (Pug rallye perhaps?)

indykid

posted on 29/3/10 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Just been googling.

It looks like Yoshimura (who are recognised as being pretty good on this stuff), connect 1-3 and 2-4.

looks like 4-1 to me.

did you ever get an answer on this adam?
tom

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.