Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Swirl pot basics...
franky

posted on 3/4/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Swirl pot basics...

My fuel tank isn't baffled but due to using the donor pump its cross linked to both side's of the tank however I'm aware it'd be better to use a fuel swirl pot.

What I'd like to know is how many outlets do I need on one and what do they connect to/from?

Am I right in thinking that effectively it works as a mini tank storing a ltr or so of juice?

rayward

posted on 3/4/10 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
you would normally have a low pressure pump from your main tank to the swirl pot, then an outlet from the swirl pot to your high pressure pump and fuel rail/injectors, then return to the swirl pot via a pressure regulator

hth

Ray

doddy

posted on 3/4/10 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
heres the data that came with mine

On the bottom of the pot, you have two lines - One coming from the LP (low pressure) pump and the other going to the HP (high pressure) pump. The one coming from the LP pump causes a swirling action. (Hence the name of the swirl pot) At the top end there's another two pipes. The easy one is the Fuel Tank Return line to the fuel tank in the centre of the pot. The reason for this is because the fuel is doing it's 'swirl' thing, and so any air that gets into the pot will be pushed towards the centre of the top of the pot. Since that's where the return line is, the air will disappear *very* quickly. The return line from the fuel rail is like the LP pump's line, but on the opposite side normally. The reasons for this is because the fuel is coming out of the fuel rail at a great rate, so it helps the swirl action a fair bit.Now, the reason that this system works is because it keeps the hot fuel up the top of the pot and the cool fuel from the tank at the bottom. Air won't last long in the pot either.

[Edited on 3/4/10 by doddy]

boggle

posted on 3/4/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
exactly that...the primary function of a swirl pot is to de-airate a liquid....they are good on cooling systems too.....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

franky

posted on 3/4/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
so the low pressure pump is the one I took out of the donor fuel tank and now sits in my kit's tank, the high pressure is built into the fuel rail? When I took the donor motor out I cut the feed/return from the car and was left with 2 metal fuel pipes connected to the engine. One of these then goes to the high pressure pump then?

Also I gather it would be worth fitting a small one or two ltr jobbie?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.