Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Track only build requirements?
nick205

posted on 14/4/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Track only build requirements?

What are the bare minimum requirements for a non road legal track use only car?

Lights
Obviously brake lights are essential, but do you need front/rear/signal lamps?

Guages
Aside from wanting to monitor the engine (oil, temp etc) do you have to have a speedo etc?

What other road legal requirements can you dispense with?

ETA...this would be for track day use only, not for racing in any particular series or class

[Edited on 14/4/10 by nick205]

tegwin

posted on 14/4/10 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Its more a case of safety and practicality..

IE.. a speedo would be very useful to help you do consistant laps etc..

A rear rainlight would help others see you...

IMHO... building the car to MOTable standards is not much more work than not..... If it can get an MOT, you shouldnt have issues with scrutineers etc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

alistairolsen

posted on 14/4/10 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Most trackdays demand your car is in mot'able condition safety wise, but most will turn a blind eye to things like radicals too.

I like having indicators, but you dont need them, a single rain light dispenses with the need for tail lights. Brake lights are good. Headlights not needed but again handy if your catching someone fast.

tbh barring the reqirement to finish it tidily for the IVA and stuff like lockable tethered filler caps etc, the main equipment Id want is similar!

My Build Thread

JimSpencer

posted on 14/4/10 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

If you mean for the locost series then somebody else will need to elaborate.

But for just racing / track day use then theoretically you don't need any lights at all - except a rear rain light.

But I would stick a rear brake light on too - if intending to do any track days.

Wouldn't bother with indicators - you don't need them and all too often when fitted they end up blinking when they shouldn't..

(However - if you have a specific series in mind worth checking with the championship regs as some might vary - but doubt it)

No speedo - good rev counter, shift light, BIG oil pressure waring light, temp gauge(s)

Add
Gel Battery.
Full cage - side bar if racing it.
4 point belts at a minimum - 6 point if racing it.
Extinguisher, plumbed in sort- if you plan on racing it.
2 Litre oil catch tank.
Ignition cut off switch.

TimC

posted on 14/4/10 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
Headlights not needed but again handy if your catching someone fast.

Not on a trackday its not - very poor track etiquette and quite outside most organisers' view of acceptable behaviour. Racing is quite different.

Hammerhead

posted on 14/4/10 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
quote:

Not on a trackday its not - very poor track etiquette and quite outside most organisers' view of acceptable behaviour. Racing is quite different.

seems so. I got pulled in for having my headlights on at Oulton park trackday, it was raining and my car is the same colour as road so I thought I was being safe and responsible, guess not.

alistairolsen

posted on 14/4/10 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
quote:

I dont mean to flash them, I mean to have on in the pissing rain when youre hammering round a track in spray doing 20mph more than the car in front

My Build Thread

craig1410

posted on 14/4/10 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Don't you need an MSA approved roll bar if you don't have an MOT? I'm sure I've read that somewhere. The roll bar has to be made from a certain dimension of CDS seamless tubing (keep the receipt) and has to have inspection holes drilled in it so that they can check the thickness. I think the minimum was 45mm x 2.5mm or something like that.

I'd also suggest a towing eye at the front of the car in case you get stuck in gravel or have a mechanical failure and need a quick tow back to the pits.

phelpsa

posted on 14/4/10 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I would say you should either have it road legal and MOTed or MSA logbooked. That way there is no argument over whether it's legal or not.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 14/4/10 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
I would say you should either have it road legal and MOTed or MSA logbooked. That way there is no argument over whether it's legal or not.

Well, that's bolts and braces at this time. Many club-level racers aren't log booked. This may change in the future but its not strictly necessary now. My best advice is to speak to a couple of the larger trackday organisers and ask them what their current policies are and if they see them changing in the forseeable future.

If you are racing, everything you need is in the blue book and specific race regulations for the formula you are considering.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.