Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What car for £1000-1500
chrsgrain

posted on 3/7/10 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
What car for £1000-1500

Hi guys (and Fozzie and Claire!)

I've got to start commuting to work from November, and don't want to either drive 100 miles each way a day in my nice van (VW transporter!) or leave it all day and night in a very dodgy hospital car park.... so I'm after a comfortable and economical car to do the job for about £1000 - 1500.

The only stipulation is - not a Vauxhall! Not sure why but the ergonomics of them is dreadful, I can't get comfortable and get out of them crippled after a short trip (hire car experiences!)

So - any advice gratefully received!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

v8kid

posted on 3/7/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Mondeo.

Cheap as chips and they just keep going.

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 3/7/10 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Firstly you must be insane to consider a 100 mile commute - you will get sick of it.

Anyway, as much as I think they are the ultimate in blandness, a Mondeo fits the bill in most respects. Cheap to buy (and a vast choice available), very comfortable, very practical and cheap to run.

Avoid auto gearboxes in general for budget cars, but especially for Fords; Mondeos have just about the most unreliable auto box ever. You could get a TDDi for your budget - same engine as the TDCi but not common rail so a little more reliable. though not especially good on fuel for a diesel.

If you don't mind French then perhaps a Pug 406, preferably with the XUD engine. These go on just about forever (the engines that is - the interior will slowly disintegrate in typical French style).

Alternatively go for Jap reliability with an Accord or Primera, but you won't get a diesel worth owning for £1500.

McLannahan

posted on 3/7/10 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
I did a 100 mile each way commute for a year...An absolute killer. Seemed to need a service each week, spent a fortune on fuel and Cheeses....so so so tired all the time.

Arriving to work tired. Working a long day and often 13 hours - and then a drive home...

Number of times I nearly fell asleep at the wheel.

Loved the job but it couldn't last. Got a job I hated for 6 months until something more suitable came along.

I have a drive now of about 25 mins in lovely countryside and past StoneHenge every day. Massive improvement.

Could you afford to relocate closer to the job on a temp. basis or lodge somewhere?

chrsgrain

posted on 3/7/10 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
I've got to do it for about 6-8 months, that's all, then back to normal - but I agree, I couldn't do it for long!

Chris

Ninehigh

posted on 3/7/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Got a 106 for sale if you're interested. Not sure what the tax is like but the MOT should see your contract out. I'll try and get pics if there's any interest...

chrsgrain

posted on 3/7/10 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bit far away I think - thankyou though!

Chris

l0rd

posted on 3/7/10 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I was commuting for 60 miles each way every day for 3 years. There were days that it was a killer but was used to it.

Now, i drive 9 miles each way and I miss driving.

Just petrol costed me 10K for 95K miles

JoelP

posted on 3/7/10 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
id get something small and petrol. Maybe a saxo etc. You're looking at about £20 a day on fuel, so if you can save 20-30% over a rep car, it adds up to a good whack over the year.

britishtrident

posted on 3/7/10 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
You will find a nice low mileage 03 or 04 plate Rover 25 for that. I bought 4 door 25 Impression 1.4 on an 03 plate at auction for daughter last week 31,000 miles all stamps in book up to 4 months ago 6 months MOT, full spec part leather interior, AC, electric windows ABS 1,300 quid inc fees all it needed was one bulb, a new battery (probably swapped at dealers or auction) and 2 wiper blades.

Same day a nice 25 1.6 2 door on an 04 plate with 34,000 miles and a nearly years MOT went through for the same money.

[Edited on 3/7/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

morcus

posted on 3/7/10 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever you get, make sure its comfortable enough. Thats the problem with going smaller, it tends to mean less comfort.

Get full AA cover and go as cheap as you dare, if it dies, throw it away and get another car as you not planning on keeping it more than a year i assume?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

will121

posted on 3/7/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
one of the last peugeot 306 Hdi's are decent have air con, abs, electric windows, mirrors, cheap basic 185/14 tyres and 55 miles/gallon, 12k service intervals, ive had one from new now done 225k miles and still going strong
chrsgrain

posted on 3/7/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
No - not planning on keeping it any longer than I have to do this job.... the auction thing sounds good - never tried that though....

Chris

COREdevelopments

posted on 3/7/10 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Chris. Avoid french cars! unless you have a love of the hard shoulder and the RAC! Go Jap or VAG. a seat ibiza tdi are brill and good on juice. For a comfy commute a Toyota avensis d4d would be good although it would be a high miler with your budget. Or an audi a4?
Whatever you do dont go french.

Good luck with your 100 mile each way drive!

Rob

[Edited on 3/7/10 by COREdevelopments]

adithorp

posted on 4/7/10 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Avoid French and Italian. Mondeo or Focus would be OK but cheap ones tend to be pretty tired. Can't go far wrong with Jap but Honda and Toyota tend to hold thier price.

I'd be looking for an Almera with a decent spec'. Boring looking but mechanically sound/reliable. Prices should be better than the other Japs.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

l0rd

posted on 5/7/10 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
My 3 (so far) renaults only broke down 2 times and that was the battery that went flat when i was away on holidays.

Ohh, did drive them 31K the first 33K the second and 38K and going on the third.

The only electrical issue was on my second that the heating didn't want to work on warm and the sunroof that had leaked at some point and was stuck shut with silicone.

britishtrident

posted on 8/7/10 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Renault turbo Dci engines are a disaster the famous 70,000 mile turbo blow up -- just check the prices of second hand engines on eBay.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

wacomuk

posted on 8/7/10 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
what about this?

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=FSW&action=display&thread=83638

http://www.insightbookingsolutions.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.