Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ooh Nuts
mistergrumpy

posted on 16/8/10 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ooh Nuts

Fixed the brake earlier after it was playing up and me and the missus decided to take a spin around the block to check it. I've had the front end apart to respray the wishbones too so it's all looking nice.
I got around the corner, just onto the main road and see my o/s/f wheel id leaning right out so I stop to look and found out I forgot to put the nuts on the bottom of the drag links inside the mushrooms. I turned the car round in a garage forecourt and rolled it back slowly but only got about 50m and the wheel came off again!
Left the car and missus there and ran off home to fetch the nuts and ratchet. I'll not be making that mistake again!

RichardK

posted on 16/8/10 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Crikey, did the missus walk home I know if my missus had been in the car and the wheel actually fell off there would be no way she'd get back in!!!

Bet it looked quite amusing though

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 16/8/10 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Kinda was funny. She stayed with it whilst I ran back, I wasn't too far from home fortunately.
The worst thing is that we went out last week for a round robin and booted it a couple of times and the drag links somehow stayed put. She did say she thought the wheel was flapping a bit then but didn't think to tell me

welderman

posted on 16/8/10 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
lucky there mister, when you coming out to play

Joe

Bluemoon

posted on 17/8/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Lucky.. Had a "problem" with the other half after first drive out with her and in the first 50m, throttle stuck fully open, kinda taken a while to get her confidence back up!

Dan

[Edited on 17/8/10 by Bluemoon]

matt_gsxr

posted on 17/8/10 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
reminds me of a old buddy.

Engineer of course! Built his Dutton. Took it for its MOT (pre-SVA days). Wheel overtook him as he drove along the road! Had forgotten to tighten the nuts.

Put it back on, passed test. Not sure where he got the spare nuts from.

Matt

wilkingj

posted on 17/8/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Ah... The adage of Measure 10 times and Cut once, applies in ALL aspects of Locostbuilders kit cars.
Even to ongoing maintenance and routine checks.

Check 10 times, and hopefully tighten only once!

We are all responsible for not just our own safety but everyone else's on the roads (or pavements) Simply by ensuring OUR cars are SAFE.

Every season, we should start with just checking all the nuts are tight etc, and the car is all OK.

You know it makes sense.

EDIT:

Just glad no one was hurt or injured, and the car not damaged. Imagine how it could have been at 70Mph on a twisty road.

I know, I have been there. I drove 120 miles home from Doncaster in my Landy after having a new Galv Chassis fitted.
They even MoT'd it, to check for safety etc.
They didnt spot the missing split pin from the drag link
Pulled on the drive with very vague steering, and the nut had two complete turns left before coming off, and the drag link taper was almost out (hence the vague steering for the last 1/2 mile around the estate at slow speed)
I nearly sh*te myslef when I thought what might have happened at 70mph on the A1 (all 100 miles of it at that speed)

You can NEVER be TOO SAFE, or careful. DONT trust to LUCK, as it never lasts a lifetime.

[Edited on 17/8/2010 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 17/8/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
You're right it does make sense. I'd just renewed all the nylocs too so's not to risk it and noticed 2 slightly thinner ones left amongst the older wider ones but couldn't place them in my minds eye and on checking and pulling at things the top bones wouldn't come loose as they've always been jammed tight into the mushrooms. Thank God now for the decision to bolt the mushroom into the upright or it'd have come out much easier.
What's more embarassing too is that, although not an engineer (I hate the over use of the word, it detracts from th properly degree qualified engineers) I have been a technician in the RAF and am always building at summat so I've threated the missus with a horses head in her bed if she tells anyone

matt_gsxr

posted on 17/8/10 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
One lesson I have learned is to treat anything that is slightly out of the ordinary with extreme respect;

To give an example;

If the Audi smells a bit strange I drive on and see if it gets worse of gets better.

If the phoenix smells strange. Turn off engine, grab fire-extinguisher.

This applies to everything. Brakes a bit different, then don't assume they will get better.

There is always a clue before a catastrophic failure. The skill is spotting those clues!

matt

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/8/10 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
didn't you take a picture?

Wife in car, looking less than impressed...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

omega 24 v6

posted on 17/8/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't you feel the need to look in the mirror and make sarcastic comments to yourself?? followed by a NIP a fine and 3 points for driving an unsafe vehicle

LOL

Glad no one was hurt and no damage was done mate. We live and learn.

[Edited on 17/8/10 by omega 24 v6]

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

mistergrumpy

posted on 17/8/10 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
NIP not applicable in this instance and I used my discretion for the rest
I was going to take a picture but thought I'd get a shoe thrown at me or summat

omega 24 v6

posted on 17/8/10 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

NIP not applicable in this instance and I used my discretion for the rest

Haha nice one.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.