Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: breakdown cover for kit cars
lewis

posted on 7/9/10 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
breakdown cover for kit cars

hi all i am looking into breakdown cover for my wife and i we have 3 cars in the house including the mk indy so prob best for us to get person cover the aa does this but reading the terms says it will not cover cars over 10 years old where do i stand with the indy? its on a age reg (k) but registered in 2006..the other cars are both 5 years old so not a problem.
Danozeman

posted on 7/9/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have mine covered by brittania rescue via the csma. They covered my kit no problem he even added it to there system to make sure.

That reminds me i must change my tin top on there.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

jabbahutt

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
That's weird been with the AA for nearly 20 years and they've happily come out twice last year to sort problems on my 23 year old Nova.

Must check into this as if that's the case I need to look elsewhere for breakdown cover.

tomgregory2000

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
get a policy that covers YOU so it doesn't matter what car you are in, yours or not
lewis

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
That's what I was looking for but in the small print it mentions about cars being under 10 years old.
FFTS

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Didn' read the small print (thats why its small) but I was with Green flag covering ME personally and theyv'e turned out no problem and no questions asked.

Chris.

adithorp

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with the RAC. I chose personal cover so I'm OK in any car irespective of age.

I'm sure there are cheaper options but do you get what you pay for? I'm not keen on the insurance based ones; pay up front when you break down and claim it back.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

lewis

posted on 7/9/10 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
the policy i want is to cover my wife and i so like you all have said it should not matter the age of the car your traveling in i might give them a ring to confirm.
Humbug

posted on 7/9/10 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
AutoAid - covers you and spouse for any car. £37/year, pay and claim back. I've used them once, for the kit - no problem at all, got refunded within a week.
rallyingden

posted on 7/9/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^
Another vote for Autoaid

RD

flak monkey

posted on 7/9/10 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
With the AA - never a problem when I called them out when my alternator siezed on the GTS.

No questions asked on age (being on a Q) and they didnt even bother sending a roadside assistance bloke as I convinced them it couldnt be fixed at the roadside so they just sent recovery. No hassles

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

will121

posted on 7/9/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
RAC do a joint cover which is better than two separate ones, the 10year limit seems to only be applicable to the basic cheaper vehicle based roadside cover only
2cv

posted on 7/9/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:That's weird been with the AA for nearly 20 years and they've happily come out twice last year to sort problems on my 23 year old Nova.

Don't worry, the AA will come out for a car of any age. I recently got them to recover a 1952 Dellow. However, they will not extend European breakdown to vehicles over 11 years old. This is a pain because I've had to take out a secondary European rescue policy with my kitcar insurer.

[Edited on 7/9/10 by 2cv]

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/9/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have joint total cover from the RAC, covers family tintop, se7en and any other car I or swimbo are driving including anything I need to drive for work, homestart, tow home and overnight accomodation are covered, and if I get the itch I get a complementary BJ!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

phelpsa

posted on 7/9/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
AA has no age limit as far as i'm aware! I have personal 'home recovery' cover and they recovered my 21 year old 205 home no issues.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davegtst

posted on 9/9/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just get joint personal cover. The age limit is for vehicle based cover which is only really any good if you only ever drive one car. With personal cover there is no age limit at all, i should know i was an AA patrol for 6 years. Might be an idea to look at the RAC, the're not very likely to strike anytime soon.

[Edited on 9/9/10 by Davegtst]

RK

posted on 9/9/10 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Kit cars break down??????
lewis

posted on 10/9/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

And davegts thanks for the heads up ;-) that will cause a few problems.

paulf

posted on 11/9/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Im with the RAC personal cover so it covers any car im in even if im a passenger.
The only down side is ive used it a couple of times and the first time it took them nearly 2 hours to reach me at 9.30 at night when I had an alternator failure and the last time I had a starter motor problem on the seven and they said they would be an hour but after waiting for over an hour the engine had cooled down and it started so I cancelled the call.
Previous to this I used auto home break down cover for the tin top and the only time i had to call them out it took 15 mins for them to arrive but they dont seem keen to cover older cars or kits.
Paul

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.