Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4AGE Experts
albertz

posted on 14/6/04 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
4AGE Experts

This is a relatively simple question for the 4AGE experts.

I have a 4AGE in my car at the moment, but it is the TVIS version. I am considering buying another Corolla, one without the TVIS.

The question is;

Can i simply unbolt the relevant parts and swap them over from engine to engine, or is the loom completely different as well?

The non TVIS engine is higher mileage than my own one and i would prefer to use my original engine as far as possible. Are there any other problems with changing the plenums etc?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Findlay234

posted on 14/6/04 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
well you can bolt the non tvis intake onto the old tvis block but the ports sont match up. Most of the engine parts are the same and if there is a change in the loom then its minimal.if both engines are transverse then the parts can jsut be swapped over. the block is different but only because it needed strengthening, everything is the same, or should be.
Dreckly

posted on 15/6/04 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Albertz,
I agree with Findlay's comments but I'll expand a little from my experience
The 16v 4AGE came basically as 3 variants. Phases 1 & 2 utilised a 3 ribbed block both with large ports & TVIS, the later phase 3 employed a stronger 7 rib block, oil fed pistons, stronger cod rods with bigger diameter journals and had smaller inlet ports which created better gas velocity which is apparently quite important when using carbs.
I'm afraid I can't advise you on the wiring aspect of things because I use the 20 valve silver top (phase 4). It apparently works best with the Omex ignition set up and this uses different sensors, supplied with the kit, and makes redundant the knock sensor & standard water/air temp sensors. 20 valve also runs 5 valves per cylinder & lovely throttle bodies as standard. The motor in my chassis at present has 200 bhp cams installed There is a lot of info on the net, try 4AGE Tech Notes, Bill Sherwood's site or Phil Bradshaw's but be careful there is a lot of dubious info out there.
You should, IMHO, be contemplating the use of a large capacity, shallow sump as well.
HTH.
Ken.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
albertz

posted on 16/6/04 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help guys. I guess i have four options then;

1) To butcher the standard TVIS intake, not a pretty job as the intake is quite a complex shape - calling in yet another favour with my TIG welding friend!

2) Attempt to change the cylinder head and manifolds from the non - TVIS engine onto the TVIS engine - a lot of work for limited gain, as i still need the favour from my welder.

3) Replace the entire engine - best option?

4) Look into using throttle bodies or carbs - probably outwith my budget

Any other suggestions welcome.........

By the way, i am definetly intending to buy another complete Corolla GTi (non TVIS). So i will have a complete set of spares - engine, loom, steering column etc

Dreckly

posted on 17/6/04 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Albertz,

My reason for using the 20 valve silver top was simple, it's more cost effective.

The engine is much newer so therefore should not require a rebuild.
It has V.V.T.(variable valve timing).
Comes with factory fitted throttle bodies as standard (saving at least £1500 + vat on after market prices).
No need for costly, often inefficient, side draught carbs, manifolds and filters.
Better torque characteristics due to fuel injection than carb equivalents.
It fits the after market 4AGE bellhousing adaptors.
150 bhp is the expected output when using the Omex electronics on a stock engine.
Very cheap throttle cables can be made from bicycle parts.
It bolts up to my 16v engine mounts.
Comes with starter, alternator, throttle bodies, air box, standard tubular exhaust manifold, all standard sensors and engine wiring harness.
To me the 16 valve didn't seem a viable option so all of mine will soon be on Ebay and I've decided to concentrate on the 20 valve.
I have three 20 valvers at present, I can spare 1 if you like. Let me know if you're interested.
Cheers.
Ken.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
albertz

posted on 17/6/04 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offer Dreckly, but i will have to pass. Maybe sometime in the future. My costs are starting to build up at the moment.

The 20 valver is probably the better engine, i am not in a position to argue about that.

Unless you are offering to give me the engine and drive it up to the north of Scotland for free - I'll give you a cup of tea and a biscuit for your trouble!!!

MrsDreckly

posted on 17/6/04 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Dear Albertz
I'd be very happy to give you the motor providing you keep Dreckly as well.
MrsD

albertz

posted on 18/6/04 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mrs Dreckly, now thats not very nice is it???

But, if Dreckly is good around the garage he may be useful - I could do with a Toyota boffin

After my cars finished i would put him in a box and post him back to you.

Hows that sound?

undecided

posted on 19/6/04 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
Well Mr and Mrs Dreckly what can i say?..........online nooky indeed!!!!

Might be back if things carry on like they are dudes......

albertz

posted on 19/6/04 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
On reflection i think i will withdraw my offer Mrs Dreckly!!!

That opens the way for you Undecided, i guess its make your mind up time!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.