Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tintop MOT without a BUMPER?
dhutch

posted on 10/11/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Tintop MOT without a BUMPER?

To cut a long story short i need an MOT on a car that doesnt have a bumper (due to i'll fitting OEM pug tow hitch) and while i know it possible as long as there no sharp edges im wondering how best to cover them?

Thoughts? Got some u strip but only the all rubber stuff not steel cored. Glue it on?

Also need a numberplate light. Would a magnetic stick on battery powered one suffice?

Daniel

owelly

posted on 10/11/10 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on the guy doing the MOT. Strictly speaking, a battery light won't comply. Sharp edges should be covered and check the tail pipe doesn't poke out. It shouldn't matter how the sharp edges are covered. Masking tape should do it but it does depend on the MOT guy.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 10/11/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sharp edges pretty much comes down to testers opinion. Gaffer tape is often enough. If you're useing the rubber stick it with silicone; That way it's easy to remove. Number plate light has to work from the light switch I think.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

dhutch

posted on 10/11/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Winner, i can plug something into the no plate light take off with some cunning im sure. Just no time to sort it before the weekend, totally forgot about it needing renewing (for a few months) and just had a reminder in the forum of a £60 non-endorsable penalty. Not cool!

Daniel

PSpirine

posted on 10/11/10 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cling film should cover all the sharp edges nicely! you can do the whole car in one go
blakep82

posted on 11/11/10 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
60 squid isn't too bad really, i think its a maximum fine of £1000? i take it its the back bumber thats missing (hence needing the number plate light too?) then the sharp edges should be easy enough to sort, U trim stuck on should do. MOT is more concerned about razor sharp edges cutting fingers if touched, that kind of thing. not radius requirements

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

dhutch

posted on 11/11/10 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82I take it its the back bumber thats missing (hence needing the number plate light too?)

Yes, rear bumper.

I also agree that £60 is a small price to pay all things considered, partiuarly as point would have ment totting up ban.

Daniel

dhutch

posted on 12/11/10 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Passed, winner. Looked quite nice by the time it was done to be honest, the grey tape is almost car coloured and with a lenght of inner tube behind it very nicely radiused.

Got an advisory to for it too which is actaully good becuase it can be shown to any doubters.

Other than that, clean test for £38.

Daniel

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.