Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: throttle control
quattromike

posted on 30/11/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
throttle control

Hi all

I have recently purchased myself a snow blower that fits on the front of our jcb loadall. it's a bunce snoblo. works good, it has a big ford diesel engine that powers it and it has a control box that you take in the cab to start the engine and direct the snow chute at what ever angle you like. The only niggle i have is because it's a 20 odd year old model the throttle control and the pull stop are big long cables that you have to take in the cab to control the engine speed and to stop the engine. my idea is to get rid of the cables and fit switches to the control box to carry out these functions. the pull stop is easy- I rekon I can fit a solenoid that when you turn off the key it pulls the stop lever on the fuel pump, similar to our old diesel jenny. the throttle on the other hand is a bit more complex I first thought it would be easy to fit a pot to the in cab control box that would control a servo/stepper motor on the engine to work the throttle in place of the cable. it sounded easy in my head but not so easy in practice. i can't seem to find an actuator suitable for the job.

~Has any one got an idea what to use, or another way to do it?

you use the throttle/ engine speed to control how far the snow gets blown. even if I could set 3 or 4 throttle positions would be good enough, i use it mostly flat out but sometime when your working in close quartersyou only want to shift it over a bit and not in someones window

any help much app.

thanks

Mike

"At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark"

les g

posted on 1/12/10 at 04:06 AM Reply With Quote
Takeuchi excavators use a fairly simple system to control engine speed
it looks just like a little windscreen wiper motor and wheelbox with a connecting arm and cable
perhaps you could get a look at one and copy that
cheers les g

blakep82

posted on 1/12/10 at 05:25 AM Reply With Quote
how about a small hydraulic ram? like something from a covertable car roof. rocker switch like one from an electric window to control it, you push the switch one way, engine speeds up, push it the other way, engine slows down.
think it should be easy enough

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

quattromike

posted on 1/12/10 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
just spotted thus on fleabay Electronic External Actuators,ADC120-12V DC Actuator on eBay (end time 28-Dec-10 08:07:37 GMT)

not an expert on automotive electronics but would i be able to control this with a rocker switch as mentioned or do you think a pot controls it?

steve m

posted on 1/12/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
What about radio controlled ? with servo's on the throttle
RazMan

posted on 1/12/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
What about radio controlled ? with servo's on the throttle

Just what I was thinking and Remote Control RC Transmitter Receiver 27mhz AM + Servo on eBay (end time 30-Dec-10 14:00:28 GMT) might do the trick - not sure if 3Kg is enough for your throttle though

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
quattromike

posted on 1/12/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
That kind of thing is what I need but don't think the ones you get in remote control cars and the like would be heavy duty enough. I have wires coming in to the control panel anyway so radio control is no benifit just the servo action!

paulf

posted on 2/12/10 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Could you use an electric gate or Sat dish actuator with a couple of switches?
Paul

quattromike

posted on 4/12/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
ok think i've got sumit sorted.
I think i'm getting a linear actuator that is controled by a pot!
I was hoping to find sumit cheap but it looks like i'm going to have to buy a new one should get one for about a ton.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.