Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bolts wanted
snippy

posted on 3/12/10 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Bolts wanted

I need to get hold of 12 bolts with a 7/16" diameter, length of approx 70mm (this incl 35mm shoulder) and 12 nyloc nuts to fit on them. They are for the wishbones/bushes on an old Westy. Does anybody have some they will part with or know the best place to get hold of some? Prefer Stainless finish obviously. Tried Ebay but you`re looking at £6 just for 4 bolts! I`ve tried using an M10 bolt but it seems just a bit too loose. Cheers,
Nick

cliftyhanger

posted on 3/12/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Don't use stainless unless you absolutely double/triple check the rating. It is not suitable for stressed components like suspension
Namrick tend to be helpful, but don't bank on big bolts of decent quality being cheap. But the ebay ones (need to be 8.8 spec or better I believe) are not far off the mark for price.

Tris

posted on 3/12/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Noticed 'South Leicestershire' as your location - i used 'Go Fixings' on Coventry Road, Hinckley for years for all my bolts needs (and they seam to have more or less every size possible in stock).

http://www.gofixings.co.uk/

Cheap too, although ive always said no to the 'do you need a receipt' question before being told the price

[Edited on 3/12/10 by Tris]

slingshot2000

posted on 3/12/10 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I would strogly advise against using stainleaas steel bolts for such a critical job !
They are comparatively soft compaed to even 8.8 mild-steel bolts and very likely to snap under load!

(The 8.8 refers to the tensile strenght of the bolts and is mared on the head of each bolt, 9.6s are considered high tensile and are much stronger and more suitable for this job.)

marcjagman

posted on 3/12/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
My local DIY shop sell 7/16 UNF with nyloc, must a merchant close to you?
perksy

posted on 3/12/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
As Above

Don't use Stainless bolts on steering or suspension components unless you want to end up in the hedge

Use brand new Nylocs nuts, fit washers under the head of the bolt & nuts and some Copper ease on the shank (smooth) part of the bolt is a good idea

Worth having a look on the Namrick website or even trying a local fastener supplier

snippy

posted on 3/12/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments so far. When I said "Stainless" this was really more to do with a shiny finish, not the strength. I agree I want some 8.8 Tensile strength minimum. The old bolts that I have removed had to be cut off both ends with an angry grinder because they were all badly rusted and stuck inside the wishbones. Bas*#rd of a job. I had to get a mate with a press to get them out the wishbones once off the car.
I do have a local bolt shop but again it`s the price which the shop owner himsef agrees is too steep.

Tris - I`ll try that Go Fixings place in Hinckley on my travels, it`s near to me, thanks for that.

Nick

perksy

posted on 3/12/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snippy
The old bolts that I have removed had to be cut off both ends with an angry grinder because they were all badly rusted and stuck inside the wishbones. Bas*#rd of a job. I had to get a mate with a press to get them out the wishbones once off the car.

Nick

Thats why i mentioned using some Copper ease when you fit the new ones, this will stop that happening again

They can be a right pita to shift otherwise

ReMan

posted on 3/12/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Go Fixings 4 me too.
Tell them I sent you.
Give them a call, what they dont have they get in 24-48hrs.
There is another in Hinckley too and Wrights in Cov

Did you get my email?

[Edited on 3/12/10 by ReMan]

snippy

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I always use copper ease but whoever built this car didn`t! Everything on it boltwise has rusted. I do like these winter projects!
Reman - Not got your e-mail

andrew

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
have you got a BAP stockists near you they re usualy prety good and reasonable,,,
britishtrident

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
The term stainless steel covers hundreds of alloys with properties as different as normal ferrous steels and irons.
A4-80 or A2-80 are usual stainless HT grades but only equivalent to 8.8 carbon steel bolts but I have never seen them in imperial sizes. -10 and -12 grades are also specified but as rare as fresh dodo eggs.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ReMan

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snippy
I always use copper ease but whoever built this car didn`t! Everything on it boltwise has rusted. I do like these winter projects!
Reman - Not got your e-mail

re-sented

snippy

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just got it ta....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.