Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paraffin Smell from Diesel Engine
scootz

posted on 22/12/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Paraffin Smell from Diesel Engine

I've started to notice a strong paraffin-like smell coming from my Diesel Freelander.

I've never smelled anything similar on other diesels I've owned, nor on this particular car before.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

It's Evolution Baby!

blakep82

posted on 22/12/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
i've noticed in the past few years, diesels smelling like burned gas, and less sooty than they used to be, anything to do with winter addetives perhaps? stop it going thick in the cold?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mookaloid

posted on 22/12/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure it's not just a diesel smell?

I've noticed my Alfa smelling a bit of diesel whilst scraping the ice off in the mornings but I put it down to it taking a few seconds on the starter before it fired and the unburnt diesel being sent out of the exhaust.

Cheers

Mooky

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

RAYLEE29

posted on 22/12/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
could be a leak in the fuel system.
or the cold weather could have affected your nostrils making them more sensitive and no im not taking the p .
i can smell things better in colder air
awaiting lots of p taking now!
Ray

andrew

posted on 22/12/10 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
have noticed it on the vehicles on pump fuel , but not on the tractors , its somtying they are putting in or taking out have noticed it in summer as well smells like a gas heater , somthing else they are liftin our leg with,,,,
eznfrank

posted on 22/12/10 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Does it have a fuel burning heater like some of the Disco's?? They smell like paraffin a bit

LINKY - just checked and some Freelanders do too!

[Edited on 22/12/10 by eznfrank]

britishtrident

posted on 22/12/10 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
kerosene and Gas Oil/DERV and domestic heating oil all come from the same stage of distillation there is no a clear cut division between them, Winter grade DERV has more Kerosenes in it to avoid the fuel waxing and blocking fuel lines and filters.
speedyxjs

posted on 22/12/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have been noticing a strong smell of petrol in my car when its really cold but only for a few seconds on start up and no-one else can smell it. Maybe it is a nostril sensitivity thing?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

MakeEverything

posted on 22/12/10 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
or a form of warmup enrichment?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 22/12/10 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Warmup - Hah my diesel CRV take bl@@dy ages to get remotely warm due to some great nipponese idea of doing something bizzarre with the aircon to speed up the warmup
scootz

posted on 22/12/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys!

It's Evolution Baby!

focijohn

posted on 22/12/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
As above does it have a diesel heater for the coolant? Theres usually a lil exhaust pointing to the ground on the NSF under the corner of the bumper. I know the facelift mk1's have it as do the F2.
When you start it from cold with the heater on hot if you look under the bumper at the front you'll see it chuffing away.
My dads jaguar does it and sometimes if the winds right it stinks.

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

adithorp

posted on 22/12/10 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xtreme Kermit
Warmup - Hah my diesel CRV take bl@@dy ages to get remotely warm due to some great nipponese idea of doing something bizzarre with the aircon to speed up the warmup

If you've set the heater to demist then it probably uses the air con as a dehumidifier. That way the air it blows over the screen is warm and dry rather than warm and humid.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

paulf

posted on 22/12/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
My rover 75 has a fuel burning heater, it operates at temperatures below 5c and also smell like a paraffin heater, it must be due to the way the fuel is burnt at atmospheric temperature rather than under pressure in the engine.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
Does it have a fuel burning heater like some of the Disco's?? They smell like paraffin a bit

LINKY - just checked and some Freelanders do too!

[Edited on 22/12/10 by eznfrank]

nick205

posted on 23/12/10 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Having just learned that my Alhambra has the same sort of diesel burning aux coolant heater (by virtue of it not working) and now seeing how many other diesel vehicles are equipped with them I'm amazed - never knew they existed.

It seems the old issues of trying to dump excess heat from an engine have been replaced with trying to gain enough hest to run the engine properly. I can't help thinking there must be a simpler, cheaper and more relaible way of doing it though.

IIRC the Rover engines use a notably smaller volume water jacket to allow much quicker warm up times (?) Could the same logic not be applied to diesel engines, possibly even a 2 stage split volume water jacket - i.e. 2 thermostats, 1 for first stage warm up, 1 for second stage warm up/radiator flow?

Got to be better than having 2 water pumps, loads of additional pipework, a diesel burning heater, additional fuel pipes and a 2nd exhaust pipe - all likely to fail at some point.

PSpirine

posted on 23/12/10 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
There have been a fair few cases of freelanders, and more importantly newer discos and ranges (that have timer/remote Fuel Burning Heaters) being put out by firemen after the neighbours call the emergency services after spotting smoke/steam coming out from under the bonnet/wheel arch of a parked car.
PSpirine

posted on 23/12/10 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Incidentally the reasons it's done for are:

1) Starting in very cold conditions
2) Getting diesel engines up to temeperature - new diesel engines are so efficient that if it's below about 5 degrees outside they don't get up to proper operating temperature and therefore become massively inefficient in terms of fuel consumption and exhausts.
3) Instant cabin heat

Point 2 is the one I'd be more concerned about if yours isn't functioning properly - you may notice a drop in mpg!

scootz

posted on 23/12/10 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
There have been a fair few cases of freelanders, and more importantly newer discos and ranges (that have timer/remote Fuel Burning Heaters) being put out by firemen after the neighbours call the emergency services after spotting smoke/steam coming out from under the bonnet/wheel arch of a parked car.

Phew!

That was going to be my next Q... I sometimes get a right burning-stink and smoke from somewhere around the front. When I investigate it's cleared and I have never been able to trace it!

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.