Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any CV experts
andrew-theasby

posted on 28/1/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Any CV experts

Anybody up to date on current cv expectations? Should i put work before education, and is it important to keep it to 2 pages or just advisable? Thanks
AndyGT

posted on 28/1/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have always got an interview for every job I have applied for and I've always custom made each CV to a specific job. Education and Qualifications come first because, naturally in life, qualifications come before professional experiences and a CV reflects what and who you are. Hence why you're applying for a job.

My twopeneth anyway!!

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 28/1/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I keep mine to 2 pages because otherwise it would be in hardback! I'd say the most important bit goes first.. If you have 10 years experience in the job you're looking for or you're a professor in your field..

chrisxr2

posted on 28/1/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
2 pages

Never morte than 2 pages, education depends how old you are i think unless your qualifications are relevant to the role. there are some good cv teplates online, that will give you an idea of current trends etc

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

andrew-theasby

posted on 28/1/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips, my work and education are a bit specific (only had this job from apprenticeship 10 years ago)and im looking to get into a different industry, cant decide whether my education or work experience is mosrt relevant. Think ill leave it with education first then.
Hammerhead

posted on 28/1/11 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
Work experience then education. Most relevant, most recent etc etc.
RazMan

posted on 29/1/11 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
I went on a CV writing course a while back and they advised you to keep it to 2 pages or they just get too long to keep the reader's interest and your CV will probably end up in the bin

I have about 4 different CVs which are custom designed towards whichever trade I want to put first (technician, graphic designer, signmaker, dosser etc) and then I tweak them a little bit more to 'adjust' certain facts to suit the individual application - no lies but sometimes being 'economical with the truth' to play down some irrelevant bits which would either go over the interviewer's head or just be plain boring.

Work history always comes first - it tells them who you are now.
Then come qualifications - they just tell the interviewer that you can retain knowledge and say nothing about your present abilities.
Then list your leisure interests and list as many as possible as it often gives them a good idea of where your skills and enthusiasm lie.

Good luck with the applications - it took me over 200 tries but I did it in the end and I'm on a residential telecommunications re-training course for the next two weeks

[Edited on 29-1-11 by RazMan]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 29/1/11 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

qualifications come before professional experiences

lol, and which universe do you live in??? if I (and most other people I know) did that my CV would be in the bin before anyone got to the relevant bits! If you're just newly qualified in something then actually fair enough otherwise experience over qualifications every time!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.