Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Just too many....
raddish

posted on 8/2/11 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Just too many....

Hi all, this is my first post here after a long time just reading. So hello to everyone.

I have a dilemma. Im in the market for a kit I just don't know what to choose. I have looked at many of the options available but im still undecided.

I want a CEC for use on the road and track. Im obviously going to do the build on a budget but for obvious reasons dont just want the cheapest available. I intended to build in stages buying build packs as I need them.

I understand people may be bias here, and that I may get a whole loads of different opinions but rally thats what Im after. What is best value for money.

At the moment my main considerations are, Tiger Avon or Tiger R6 and the MNR Vortex.

Should I be looking else where?

Thanks

mookaloid

posted on 8/2/11 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum

Description
Description

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

MakeEverything

posted on 8/2/11 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
The common questions that seem to need answers to make things clearer are;

1. What sort of power do you want to achieve?
  2. Do you want comfort as well?
  3. Do you want a single seater, two, three or four seats?
  4. What do you plan to do with it? - Commute / Sunday Drives / Track Days / Sprints / Hillclimb etc?
  5. Whats your budget? - If i were to do it again id save up for an Ultima GTR.

Hope this helps. Also, theres a lot of information on peoples poor experiences on the forum, so have a look and make your decision from that and speaking to the manufacturers.

Good Luck.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

David Jenkins

posted on 8/2/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I have read all sorts of derogatory comments about Tiger's "fit and finish", especially the GRP bits. However - I have seen some exceptionally tidy finished cars...

MNR seem to have one of the best reputations for product quality and customer service.

Alfa145

posted on 8/2/11 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Dont forget the GBS Zero, MK and Mac1 too, they might come in cheaper or be open to splitting the kits into packs suitable for you.

Depending on your location too you might want a place thats nearer for your frequest trips to pick the packs up.

[Edited on 8/2/11 by Alfa145]

loggyboy

posted on 8/2/11 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
For track use, just check out whats winning or doing well. 750mc, NI sevens etc

Raw/Sylva - Striker, Phoenix & Fulcrum
MNR Vortx
Fisher Fury (or whoever owns them now)
Procomp LA Gold
MK Indy

(in no particular order)

raddish

posted on 8/2/11 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
The common questions that seem to need answers to make things clearer are;

1. What sort of power do you want to achieve?
  2. Do you want comfort as well?
  3. Do you want a single seater, two, three or four seats?
  4. What do you plan to do with it? - Commute / Sunday Drives / Track Days / Sprints / Hillclimb etc?
  5. Whats your budget? - If i were to do it again id save up for an Ultima GTR.

Hope this helps. Also, theres a lot of information on peoples poor experiences on the forum, so have a look and make your decision from that and speaking to the manufacturers.

Good Luck.

To answer these questions.

I would hope for a minimum of about 180bhp.
Confort is not really the top of my list for requirements!
A 2 seater ideally but open to options.
I plan to use it for sunday drives and track days at first - maybe some sprints and even a few races in the future when my bank balance recovers after the build.
Budget maybe £10-£15K for a standard build, not including any extras along the way.

Thanks for the input so far, I have actually just received Mac1's information pack to have a look through. Im slightly put off but the recent threads about the MK roll cage and customer service, but think I will really need to contact them myself and make my own judgement.

Lightning

posted on 8/2/11 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Go mid engined

however I seem to be attracting a lot of attention from the local law, can't think why

Steve

MakeEverything

posted on 8/2/11 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
Go mid engined

however I seem to be attracting a lot of attention from the local law, can't think why

I must admit, mid engined is a different experience altogether, though there arent many to choose from, so limits your options in some respects.

I think i might have a lot of attention when mine is finished as well!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

mcerd1

posted on 8/2/11 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raddish
Budget maybe £10-£15K for a standard build, not including any extras along the way.

thats more like the budget for my Dax Rush

-

Alfa145

posted on 8/2/11 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
GBS are developing a Race Zero chassis currently, which incorporates a full Roll Cage, this is going through the certification process at the moment. Full rose joined suspension if required. Saw it last week and it looks a nice chassis too. Drop one of their Zetecs in on Jenveys and you're close to your 180bhp, and for a 10-12k budget you should be able to spend a fair bit on getting it over 180.
JimSpencer

posted on 8/2/11 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
To answer these questions.

I plan to use it for sunday drives and track days at first - maybe some sprints and even a few races in the future when my bank balance recovers after the build.

Thanks for the input so far, I have actually just received Mac1's information pack to have a look through. Im slightly put off but the recent threads about the MK roll cage and customer service, but think I will really need to contact them myself and make my own judgement.

Just on this bit:-
quote]Originally posted by raddishmaybe some sprints and even a few races in the future when my bank balance recovers after the build.

I would go for a Striker, certainly it would be the track weapon of choice - as would a fury, but the Striker just edges a fury where sprints are concerned on weight IMHO.

But to be quite honest - are you really sure you want to build & register it (sorry I know this is Locostbuilders etc etc) but you might honestly be better off buying a built one and then ReBuilding it as you want it.
If you think of a built one as an assembled pile of parts worth less than their purchase cost, dismantle it to a bare chassis, built and modified it to your budget you would get an Epic bit of kit for your money, and it wouldn't need IVA testing..

The cost of the IVA with the kit you would need for the test that all subsequently can come off would probably cover a seasons worth of sprint entries in itself

JimSpencer

posted on 8/2/11 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Sorry, but just done a quick toting up in my head - there should be no 'probably' in the last sentance of my post above!

edspurrier

posted on 8/2/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Where are you based?

If you're near Tiger, and may want to do some racing, then I'd suggest an Avon or R6 - the Tiger race series is very friednl;y and a good place to start.

Tiger build is fine, there a re a few bits of the Avon manual that are essentially fiction but the kit is OK. Their customer services is usually excellent, occasionally maddening.

carpmart

posted on 8/2/11 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Jeremy Phillips deigned cars are hard to beat. The Fury and Striker would be top of my list in your position!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

raddish

posted on 8/2/11 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edspurrier
Where are you based?

Im down south in hampshire.

I would consider buying a complete build and rebuilding - although I like the idea of building from scratch.

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

Im trying to be realistic about the budget, rather over compensate then not have the funds to finish

snapper

posted on 8/2/11 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
That's a good budget, so the world is your lobster so to speak.
180bhp is good enough and achievable using a lot of engines, so look at engine weight and Torque.
2 cars similar weight and bhp, the one with more torque will pull away.
Most MNR's look very good, MK's again look good.
Having built 1 car and working with friends building others, the bare chassis and bodywork is the first thing to buy the rest can be made to suit.
I would have a good look at the Kit Car shows coming up and also have a good look at the owner built cars outside.
You will soon see if what you see ona manufacturers stand can be built at home.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

MakeEverything

posted on 8/2/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by edspurrier
Where are you based?

Im down south in hampshire.

I would consider buying a complete build and rebuilding - although I like the idea of building from scratch.

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

Im trying to be realistic about the budget, rather over compensate then not have the funds to finish

I know of one for sale near Southampton with 200bhp Zetec.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

tomgregory2000

posted on 8/2/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
You have u2u
mrwibble

posted on 8/2/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
something to bear in mind would be location of your supplier, fair enough if you must have a car made in scotland and your in kent for example, if u cant find anything else. but building a car, and being able to pop to the factory to collect something, and have 5 mins natter with the factory is prolly worth its weight in gold.
jollygreengiant

posted on 8/2/11 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
On that construction budget, you could also build a very nice Luego with plenty of spare cash.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

rodgling

posted on 8/2/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

For that budget, the GKD Legend 6 ticks all your boxes and could be a good choice. I've just taken mine through IVA (deferred success but still, it's good to drive it) and am pretty happy about how its turned out.

jacko

posted on 8/2/11 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
And don't forget to look at RoadRunner Racing
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 8/2/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
if i had 15k to spend i would be looking for a second hand caterham preferably with an R somewhere in the name.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

raddish

posted on 8/2/11 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
You have u2u

Hi, u also have u2u, and many thanks

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.