Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall XE
Ronin

posted on 7/7/04 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall XE

After much contemplation I have decided the 2.0 XE is probably the engine for me. I understand this was fitted to 16v Astra GTEs but was it in any other Vauxhalls. Also how much should I budget for a good engine?

Thanks.

white130d

posted on 8/7/04 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hey ROnin

scuse my ignorance as we don't have a creature like this in the states but,is the astra a rear wheel drive car? If not, what do you do for a transmission?

David

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

Ronin

posted on 8/7/04 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I understand, You can mate part Vauxhall clutch with part Ford Pinto clutch and bolt it onto a Sierra Type 9 box.
white130d

posted on 8/7/04 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto

You're pinto/sierra and ours are 2 totally different animals, that is the problem in communication we have....Hard to belive I have trouble speaking "english"

David

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

scoobyis2cool

posted on 8/7/04 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yes the XE did come in other Vauxhalls, from what i remember it was certain versions of the Calibra and possibly Cavalier. Sorry i can't be more specific but I'm sure someone else will know.

As for price you can pick them up on ebay for £200-300 (engine only) and from £400-500+ for an engine complete with car, but don't forget you'll need to add on the cost of carburettors or throttle bodies.

I'm currently building my Indy using a 2L pinto but am already saving for my XE, looks like a fantastic engine, Nigel Dean from Which Kit magazine also said it's his favourite engine of all time so I can't wait to fit one!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andkilde

posted on 8/7/04 at 02:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hey White130D

The Pinto/Sierra isn't all that different from its North America cousins.

The "Pinto" engine is the same 2.3l unit feautured in the rolling flambe“ we call a Pinto here. And for Sierra, substitute Merkur XR4Ti which came with a turbocharged Pinto mill. Also has all the right driveline bits (albeit with drums & open diff) to work with the Sierra accessories available in the LoCost aftermarket.

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
millenniumtree

posted on 8/7/04 at 02:40 AM Reply With Quote
Much of the confusion comes from the fact that we have two cars, called the Ford Pinto, and the GMC Sierra, that are both very different from the engine called Pinto and car called Sierra in the UK.

The Ford Pinto was famous for exploding at low-speed rear impacts, and there's a rather disturbing story about it here:
http://smallurl.com/?i=14896

The GMC Sierra is a full-size pickup truck...
http://smallurl.com/?i=14895

At first, I didn't know why you were talking about Pinto engines, because the Ford Pinto was built in the 70s... But UK Pinto engines aren't from Ford Pintos at all.

It's a confusing world of sales and marketing we live in.

When I was a kid, our family owned a Ford Pinto, we (as kids) used to ride in the back... Scary!

ned

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Xe's were found in astra gte's, cavalier gsi's and calibra's. Beware later cavaliers and calibra's have the ecotec 16v which is not as good a the Xe.

The sierra gearbox and clutch plate can be used, though you'll need an adapter bellhousing to mate the two together. approx £160ish

Engines go on ebay for £200-350. Take your chance! Better if you can see it in a car and hear it running. Also try migweb, a vauxhall owners forum. Also try local scrappies. My local scrappy had a running engine and they wanted £200 for it. I bought one for £150 that needed a rebuild and bought a complete block (in peices ) of ebay for £10.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

ned

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
ps also search for previous posts on the subject, all the info is there. Also see my web for info on the engines...

Dreckly

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Also found in Astra GSI and Cavalier SRI 16V round about J/K reg
ned

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Dreckly,

Yep, astra gsi's, but i've never heard or seen one come out of one as they're so rare and still seem to have hi resale for some bizare reason. I didn't now the sri 16v was an Xe, i thought it was ecotec?!

Ned.

Ronin

posted on 8/7/04 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help gents, especially Ned
Scotty

posted on 8/7/04 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
see "for sale section" - might be of interest................
ned

posted on 8/7/04 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Nice blatant plug Scotty

Ronin, where in SE England are you?!

Ned.

Ronin

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Maidstone. But I work at London Bridge.
Scotty

posted on 9/7/04 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote

James

posted on 9/7/04 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Maidstone?

Well bit of a treck but you could make our monthly Guildford meets if you're interested.

See the Clubs and Events section for details. We meet at Newlands Corner near Guildford 1st Sunday of the month.

Atb,

James

Ronin

posted on 9/7/04 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
heers James,

Imight give you all a visit.

Dreckly

posted on 9/7/04 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,

Sorry to be so late in replying.
Recently bought a Cavy SRI 16V on a K plate for her indoors to smoke about in.
Nice red topped Xe sat under the bonnet as standard - strangely enough it's reputed to be quicker/more powerful than the GSI Cavy (different exhaust manifolds methinks). Anyway it saves me having to share my Carlton GSI 24V!!
Cheers.
Ken.

Danozeman

posted on 14/7/04 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Dont think theres too many sri's about with the XE;s in. Theres plenty of cav GSi's being broken about and early calibra's. Watch out for the porous heads too. Just put a recon on me calibra cos it was porous.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Ben_Copeland

posted on 14/7/04 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Maidstone?

Well bit of a treck but you could make our monthly Guildford meets if you're interested.

See the Clubs and Events section for details. We meet at Newlands Corner near Guildford 1st Sunday of the month.

Atb,

James

James, i'm further into Kent then Maidstone and i still make it... when i can

Dreckly, it's not more powerful, but the actual car is a bit quicker (if your lucky) because it weighs a bit less.. (GSi has all the toys - I know cos i got one)

Ronin, drop us an email if you want any help.. not too far away from ya

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

ned

posted on 15/7/04 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
don't let stories of porousity problems put you off. The weakness as I understad is on late GM heads (earlier coscast ones are fine). There is a weakness in the casting between the oilway and water jacket, IIRC between pot 2+3. There are various fixes including sleeving the oilway or welding it up and rerouting the water jacket round the back of the head. The cost of repair is similar to the price of a second hand head and I've only heard of problems on very high milage engines (120,000+). I've only come across it once on a race engine which is rev'd to 8k all day.

Stand to be corrected though

Ned.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.