Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4AGE Problems
albertz

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
4AGE Problems

I have finally managed to get my 4AGE engine running, after sorting out the timing etc.

The problem i now have is that, when i start the engine it revs like crazy (estimated about 5-6000rpm). I have connected up all the various sensors etc but cannot get it to idle at all. It is as if the throttle is stuck open, but i have checked the big butterfly and it is closing properly. Some of the vacuum hoses are not connected, but i wouldn't have thought that would cause the engine to rev like that?

It is running smoothly enough, but with no exhaust apart from the manifold it is quite noisy at 5000rpm

Anyone got any ideas?

BTW - Has anyone got a design for a revised inlet plenum, to clear the bonnet line?

[Edited on 8/7/04 by albertz]

JAG

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Check that the throttle position sensor is moving with the butterfly and that all connections to it are secure.

I'll have a think if there is anything else.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

David Jenkins

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Don't know the 4-AGE, but if you have any connections that are open when they should be closed (e.g. vacuum hoses) then the various engine management sensors will be badly affected.

Good luck!

David

Dreckly

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Albertz

If you have vacuum hoses etc. disconnected then there is a strong probablity that the engine is sucking un-metered air. This will have a similar effect to the throttle being stuck open hence the 5000rpm.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
albertz

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, i will try and block off all the vacuums. I did unscrew the throttle position sensor last night, had a little fiddle with it (the sensor!) and put it back on. When i took it off is seemed to be under a bit of spring i.e. it rotated from say 12.00 o'clock to 11.00 o'clock. I didn't actually check that it was moving with the butterfly but i will check tonight.

Any other ideas welcome.

Cheers

paulbeyer

posted on 8/7/04 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Albertz,

What sort of plenum do you have? If it's the later large port jobbie I might be able to get my Dad to Tig weld it for you.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

albertz

posted on 8/7/04 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Well i actually have both. But the engine that i intend to use is the TVIS version, basically because its the lower mileage one.

The scuttle/bonnet/nosecone setup that i have only requires me to lower the plenum by about 2". I was hoping to be able to modify the TVIS plenum, i know that it is tapered but i was hoping to make the alterations before the tapering starts - if that makes any sense. I havent really studied it too much yet.

The non TVIS plenum doesn't match up with the cylinder head on the TVIS engine(i have been informed), therefore this would require either an adaptor or changing the cylinder head as well (which i dont really want to do).

PS - paulbeyer, i have sent u a U2U message.

zilspeed

posted on 8/7/04 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
If it's reving high, even under zero load, it must be getting enough air to do so. Any problem with throttle pots or other sensors can only add additional fuel. This wouldn't be enough to give the effect you describe above.
As mentioned up the thread a bit, block off all the various holes in the inlet tract, because air is air - regardless of how it gets into the engine.

MikeP

posted on 8/7/04 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
It's almost certainly the vacuum connections, we had the same issue with Bob's car when we first started it. You need to cap the tubes, not loop them together - some are open to the air and others open into the plenum. The bottom ones that pass air during a cold start, where the coolant hoses feed, are probably the culprit.

HTH!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
albertz

posted on 8/7/04 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Right, I now have a few definite things to check tonight. It sounds as if it must be linked to excess air.

BTW - Does anyone have a diagram showing the correct locations of the vacuum hoses? I have had most of them off at one time or another.

Thanks for all the help, i will give an update tomorrow.

Edit - I checked all the vacuum hoses tonight and it appears that the big hose to the servo was hanging open ended in the engine bay, so i clamped it with vice grips and started the engine.........success, it fires up and then dies down to a decent smooth idle.

Thanks for all the help. Result.

[Edited on 8/7/04 by albertz]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.