Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Back to square one (Now with videos)
chrisxr2

posted on 7/4/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Back to square one (Now with videos)

Back to square one, giving it the beans misfire is back, video below is priceless

http://upload.youtube.com/my_videos_upload

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBjdGiDhYUo

if only for the vosa car driving past ironically.
Car is fine pootling or blasting round up to about 40, upto speed lmit then slow down misfiring stuttering the lot. have to pump the pedal to get any movement at all.

Today i checked the carbs are balanced which they are (Impressesd with the gunsons carbtune)
Colortuned all 4 cylinders, all were slightly out, afterwards car idles much better.

Previously all new plugs leads dizzy coil lead, symptoms same as before
Cleaned all carb jets with carb cleaner, cleaned fuel filter.
Fixed air leak into fuel system.

Car starts idles runs lovely then as seen on video. Have had enough now, 70 miles of trouble free motoring since i've had it and that was half the journey from picking it up. Any chance of dribving to a rolling road for fault finding out the window again.

[Edited on 8/4/11 by chrisxr2]

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

jacko

posted on 7/4/11 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry i cant remember are you on megajolt or dizzy ?
is you dizzy working ok ?
are the plates in side moving ok if its got a vacuum pipe suck on it and see if the dizzy advances ok
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisxr2

posted on 7/4/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Dizzy

Dizzy, will give that a try. Thanks. When the video uploads you will hear the symptoms easily enough.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

austin man

posted on 7/4/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
have you put a new cap on ?does it have a condenser if so change this as well. The older pintos also had a problem if points based with the points slipping. and at time the dizzy moving

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

jacko

posted on 7/4/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
What carb are you using ?
What make of spark plugs are you using ?
I find NGK best in my engine
Jacko

[Edited on 7/4/11 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisxr2

posted on 8/4/11 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
all

i have electronic ignition, dizzy cap is new as are leads plugs are NGK AP6FS. I have twin weber 40's which were checked yesterday for balance. have not changed the condenser. the dizzy i have is i believe this one.

car is fine low down driving its if you give it the beans and then slack off.

JeffHs

posted on 8/4/11 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Where do you pick up vacuum? With twin 40s it's normal to use a non-vacuum dizzy due to the separate intakes for each choke, unlike a standard manifold which feels the suck from all cylinders and so smooths it out.
chrisxr2

posted on 8/4/11 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
possible fuel pump

Update, more issues today and appears to be no fuel flow out the carbs so think the fuel pump has died, and maybe has been iffy for some time. new fuel pump tommorow, we will see if it is a fluke or actually the cause of my problems.

chrisxr2

posted on 8/4/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
please check the vids

please all check the videos now on my post in case the fuel pump is a red herring.

rusty nuts

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
If you have an electronic distributor then it doesn't have a condenser. A common problem on Bosch distributors is the centrifugal bob weights sieze and do not advance/retard the ignition timing as it should . Easy job to free off just a bit time consuming,

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.