Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MEV Atomic + 600cc bike motor?
nick205

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
MEV Atomic + 600cc bike motor?

Been looking at the MEV Atomic and wondering if I could build myself something in the same vein; single seat next to a bike engine, minimal weight etc.

MEV spec the R1 motor for the Atomic with 150bhp and 330kg or somehwere around 450bhp/tonne.

Knowing next to zip about bike engines how feasible would it be to use a smaller engine - say 600cc (ZX6R?)?

Are the gearboxes different/weaker?

Is the gearing right/wrong for a BEC?

Are they cheaper to source?

StevieB

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Jedi single seaters use a CBR600 in some models, so should be possible (though I'd say the Jedi is a fair bit lighter than the Atomic and, being chain drive, the final drive ratio is tunable).

A good, late 600 is probably not far short of an early litre engine in erms of cost, so it's probably not as worth it as you'd think.

600's make good power (100bhp ish) but it's the gearbox strength that would be my worry.

Kwik

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
have a look at the dp1 (someones gunna say it so it might aswell be me) as he has 2 cars with this layout and its 4wd.

if you do design something similar, the only reasoning i see of having it like this is to have 4wd, otherwise you may aswell save weight and have a better weight distribution and stick the engine behind the seat.

http://www.dpcars.net/dp1/index.htm

[Edited on 25/4/11 by Kwik]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 25/4/11 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
kwik - A good point about using a more common mid engine layout, I'm just quite taken by the approach of balancing engine weight with driver weight side by side.

I'd forgotten about the DP1 - a fantastic piece of development, but way beyond the scope of my garage skills and budget

Kwik

posted on 25/4/11 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
but if your going RWD you want weight at the back anyway, and side to side weight balence would be equal as everythings in the middle.

i think a locost dp1 style 4wd thing would dominate hillclimbs in the 600cc class...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 27/4/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
newer 600s make about 125 BHP. Older 900s like the blade made 135 - 140. They don't sound far off. Watch out though. 600s don't make much torque. They make big power through revving even higher than a 1000cc bike. It is possible to use a 600 but you need to keep the weight right down. 350kg would be about the max. You've got to watch for noise too as IVA noise is measured at 3/4 of peak power RPM so they'll be noisier than a 1000.

scootz

posted on 27/4/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
On the road???

Remember, you'll have to absolutely rev the knackers off of it to keep in the 'zone' and I'd imagine that would get a little tiresome after a while.

If, however, you go banzai every time you jump in your toy-car, then crack on!

It's Evolution Baby!

SPYDER

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for a late GSXR 750 motor. 150 hp and a gazillion revs. Titanium rods as standard IIRC.
scootz

posted on 30/4/11 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure it was just the valves that were Ti.

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.