Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Kit? Indy R or Zero
atkin

posted on 17/5/11 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Which Kit? Indy R or Zero

Getting closer to buying my kit, in 2 mind between the MK Indy R and the GBS Zero. Both companies are fairly close to me (close enough to take a random driver over on a saturday morning).

Which chassis do people think are best?

I am leaning towards car engined car (Honda S2000 engine) but do quite like the idea of a BEC.

Help me out guys!

daniel mason

posted on 17/5/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
i would personally go for the indy if those are your 2 options and the s2000 engine. mk have done a few s2000 cars. personally i went for the mnr with the same engine as i prefer it. if you need any info regarding the install feel free to ask.

Stuart_B

posted on 17/5/11 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
hi there, i would go indy r over the zero, but i am biased in to the mk

great motor the s2000 is.

stu

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

noc231073

posted on 17/5/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know much about the zero but I've just built an Mk and I wouldn't do it again nightmare customer services
Now after Its built I had so many barneys with them I can't even pick up the phone to order parts as they won't entertain me
So not much good really .. Having no aftersales service... And I am not the only one you has had loads of problems
There's quite a few guys on here that have had similar problems with them
Search the Mk forums topics

[Edited on 17/5/11 by noc231073]

INDY BIRD

posted on 17/5/11 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy

great car and if you ever do sell it i would probably say resale value would be more?

but depends on your budget i guess and what you will use it for,

mk every day for track and occ road use

AndyW

posted on 17/5/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Visit GBS factory, speak with Richard and the guys in the workshop. Then visit MK and compare the two. Remember, they should want your money and repeat business.

Customer service after you have got the kit is the most important thing.

SeanStone

posted on 17/5/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
gbs are the company who bought robin hood arent they? it was my understand their chassis' were pretty terrible, so definitely the mk. though i would have a look at mnr or something from raw as there have been so many stories of terrible service from mk.

great choice on the s2000 motor btw. when you're ready, whack a supercharger on and you've got 350hp on standard internals

James

posted on 17/5/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
As an owner of neither of them I would say that currently the GBS, The MK and the MNR appear to be the current 3 best cars out there.

Would be madness not to visit each factory or, go to a big show and see all three at the same place!

All of the above 3 have their pros and cons and it'll be hard to get a non-biased opinion on here.

Hope that helps,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

40inches

posted on 17/5/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
gbs are the company who bought robin hood arent they? it was my understand their chassis' were pretty terrible, so definitely the mk. though i would have a look at mnr or something from raw as there have been so many stories of terrible service from mk.

great choice on the s2000 motor btw. when you're ready, whack a supercharger on and you've got 350hp on standard internals

The Zero is a totally different car to the Robin Hood, and good value for the kit.

StevieB

posted on 17/5/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Indy R is a more technically advanced design than the Zero (inboard front suspension for one).

However, the Zero is probably a more cost effective build and a bit of time on chassis setup would make up the difference.

So, if it was me making the choice I'd choose between the Zero and Aries Locothingy (just to confuse the matter )

MikeRJ

posted on 17/5/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
gbs are the company who bought robin hood arent they? it was my understand their chassis' were pretty terrible, so definitely the mk.

Sadly this kind of thinking is going to take GBS a long time to shake off, despite selling a very decent kit

daniel mason

posted on 17/5/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
that engine wont go in an aries chassis i dont think or any of the raw cars. its a big lump!

AndyW

posted on 17/5/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
gbs are the company who bought robin hood arent they? it was my understand their chassis' were pretty terrible, so definitely the mk.

Sadly this kind of thinking is going to take GBS a long time to shake off, despite selling a very decent kit

Very true.

I am biased towards GBS as Im building one, but what really gets me is the OP asks a question and then people steer them towards a certain make (and clearly away from another) without any dealings with that company. Nor any dealings with the company who they "understand" to make dodgy chassis.

My advise is visit both. I did. Ask them loads of questions. Be on there case as a potential customer. See who really wants you to come back or just wants the order. Customer service and after care is more important to me than following the crowd. I am 100% happy witht the choice I made.

StevieB

posted on 17/5/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^^^ I quite agree.

Most of the basic chassis' available are much of a muchness, with a few fancy things like inboard suspension thrown in here and there.

The fact is that as long as there construction is decent and accurate, and the customer service is there, then I would make my choice based on price just about every time. If I wanted to spend more money on something, I'd buy a second hand Caterham and not something perceived (but not necessarily) of better quality.

The Zero looks great value and with time spent setting up the geometry, I'd defy most people to find a discernable difference between that and any other se7en at the entry end of the market (in fact in back to back testing on track, we found my R1 Indy to have far more grip and better handling than my mates very sorted S2 Lotus 7 Fireblade - because we spent an age with spirit levels, tape measues and string getting it set up just right).

[Edited on 17/5/11 by StevieB]

lotusmadandy

posted on 17/5/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
It would have to be the indy for me,everytime.I have bought
two indy's,on both occasions and whenever i have called them,the
customer service was excellent.

Andy

femster87

posted on 17/5/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Zero for me mate, nothing wrong with the chassis at all. it has been quite easy and fun to build. Alot of help form Richard and the crew. I have on several occasions just turned up at the factory and collected parts I need. So do visit them before you choose. Am in scunthorpe not too far from you, if you want to have a look at the zero, feel free. I have a zetec in mine.
DRC INDY 7

posted on 17/5/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mk indy

and i have had dealings with robin hood/GBS aka richard hall

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

Hellfire

posted on 17/5/11 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Engine first and then choose a manufacturers chassis to house the bike engine. BEC all the way S2000 is a cracking engine but bang for bucks the BEC will generally be cheaper.

Phil

franky

posted on 17/5/11 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Engine first and then choose a manufacturers chassis to house the bike engine. BEC all the way S2000 is a cracking engine but bang for bucks the BEC will generally be cheaper.

Phil

He could fit a m3 engine for less than £1200, thats cheaper than a bike engine

Hellfire

posted on 17/5/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:

Phil

Depends which bike engine.....

Phil

DRC INDY 7

posted on 17/5/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
nissan 200 sx turbo engine only cost me £400 to do the conversion

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

franky

posted on 17/5/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:

Phil

Depends which bike engine.....

Phil

Ok, as an install cost against a honda c90 motor

daniel mason

posted on 17/5/11 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
by the time you fit a reverse box,power commander and clocks it still could be more^^^^ lol!

T Rex

posted on 17/5/11 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
MK every time, i have known these People since 2001 and have built 2 indys, i have introduced at least 5 friends and all have had a very good experience with the team i have visited them at random and they sent out for cakes and have always got time for a chat so in my personal experience they are stars.
Now i would advise you to visit all these manufactures, all of us has a perticular thing that we like about these cars ie, the body fit, Chassis design,welds, Triangulation, bang for buck, find out what floats your boat. Then talk to them all and see if you can work with them, and make your decision from that.

austin man

posted on 17/5/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mk Indy For me remember you could go Indy as well the Indy R, the R is the more advanced design the Indy still a good handling car. Cant say anything for or against the Zero as had no dealings with them

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.