Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Books!
baileysmith

posted on 4/9/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Books!

Following on from previous request for help and advice, can anyone recommend any light reading to start the research into my quest for a kit car??

I've seen links to a couple of books, Ron Champion's car build for £250 and another on electrics (think they're linked from the front page of the site??). Is it worth getting copies of these in anticipation of getting started some time in the future?

Any other recommendations would be gratefully received.

Cheers, Matt

tomprescott

posted on 4/9/11 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt,

I've never brought a kitcar magazine but I would guess that would be a good pplace to start and take a look at what's available in the market - you'll find you can get most technical info for free on the web if you search about a bit and ask in the right places (here!).

Next thing I would suggest is ask if some people on here local to you can take you out for a test drive and see what you like in terms of looks, price, performance, CEC or BEC etc....a trip up to a kit car event should be well worth a look too to see lots of different (and lots of similar) designs in the flesh.

Once you've narrowed down what you're looking for it should be easier to focus your research with regards to build difficulty, costs and likely anticipated problems.

HTH,
Tom

A bird in the hand....

baileysmith

posted on 4/9/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Tom,

I'll give that a whirl too. I have been given the chance to go and have a look at a couple of cars already by a local member, which is excellent and gratefully received, and I'm hoping to get across for that soon.

Cheers, Matt

Strontium Dog

posted on 4/9/11 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
The Haynes Roadster is a much better book and a better car IMHO! I'd look there to start if I where you. I don't need either book to build a car but I've still got them both funnily enough, along with an awful lot of other technical works!

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

mrwibble

posted on 4/9/11 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
sign up for track driver magazine, its free, excellent advice from dave walker on engine tuning, and the tech bits have covered everything from fuel lines to seats and harnesses.

www.trackdriver.com

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.