Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: what do you consider locost
geordielad

posted on 16/11/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
what do you consider locost

the reason i ask is i am building a triumph spitfire
its a complete body off restoration with a few mods ( well lots of mods)
from the outside it going to look standard apart from 15" wheels
spec
2.0 zetec with zx9r carbs ( will eventually be injected)
mt75 gearbox
scooby diff
mx5 rear uprights with custom wishbones coilovers (getting rid of transverse leaf spring)
mx5 rear disc brakes
mx5 front hubs
clio cup 185mm front discs with brembo 4 pots
15" rh cup alloys
rover 25 leather seats with custom subframes
wallnut dash
everything retrimed with black leather

registered 1972 so free road tax
all the parts have been sourced & build is going to start after christmas ( got to finish house or wife will castrate me)
plan is to finish it by april 2013 the travell around europe

does this qualify as a locost build

jacko

posted on 16/11/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
To me LOCOST on this forum is a home built 7 type car
i think of your car more like a retro rider car like on Retro Riders forum
That's only my opinion
Jacko

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi

[Edited on 16/11/11 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 16/11/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
That's only my opinion
Jacko

+2

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

T66

posted on 16/11/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
The Non Locoster debate came out recently - I dont know what the problem is.....

The home car building game is constantly evolving, as people build and experiment. This is a really good site, with lots of answers.

For me its better off having loads of subscribers, who can generally come up with a quick answer, than having to wait four days for an answer.

However I hear where your coming from.. - Its just the sites popularity growing imho

DixieTheKid

posted on 16/11/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
A locost in my opinion is a 7 style car as cheap as you can possibly build it to you own spec. The only reason i say this is because not all of us have all of the skills to build from scratch.

COS IT'S Worth IT

mrwibble

posted on 16/11/11 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
locost is relative. builder is the only important thing to me, don't let them put you off!
deltron63

posted on 16/11/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Blast....... looks like I've got to go to retrorides.
Bye All

MakeEverything

posted on 16/11/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
LOCUST is what symbolises a cheaper end '7' type for me. Locost, just means either DIY or to a budget. For example, i like to make most of the things i need as best i can, improvising where possible. Buying a kit and assempling it or getting someone else to do it isnt really in the spirit of kit car building IMO.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

PeterV

posted on 16/11/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
It does in my book.
Not a lot of difference between a MX5 Ferrari Look alike, Sierra Cobra look alike or Zetec Spitfire look alike.
Penny wise may spend more on my build than you will and I bet there are some 7's that have a load more invested in them.
IMHO Its about the amateur build, knowledge share and mad mad fun

DixieTheKid

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest who gives a sh*t! Its a great forum, with great people and masses of knowledge. AND ITS FREE! Thats good enough for me.

COS IT'S Worth IT

Bare

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
As above a Locust is a DIY variant on a the lotus 7 of mid late 60's
IMO a frankenstein Spitfire is not, by any stretch.

Curiously, why are you going that route? A 'restored' Spit has some eventual resale value probably even a significant one.
A Mods 'special' won't even approximate the price of it's parts.
If you want to "tour" buy an MX 5. A Better machine, from the outset, than the 'altered' spit could ever be.
As bonus SWMBO won't feel the need to chase you with a cleaver :-).

fazerruss

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
If this site was just for Locost 7 style cars then why is it advertised in ppc mag which has alsorts in it. locost was a name given by Ron Champion to a 7 style scratch built car but this site in my opinion is for anything with an engine in or engineered and built or modified by the owner so making it low cost as opposed to paying someone to build it for you.
Ive now started getting ppc instead of kit car mags because Im bored of just looking at kit cars.
So stay mate and keep involved.

Russ

[Edited on 16/11/11 by fazerruss]

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

owelly

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've never built a Locost or even owned a se7en. I suppose I'd better go and find somewhere else to loiter...

Incidentally, with all those mods, the Spitfire won't be tax free anymore once it's been registered correctly....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
That's only my opinion
Jacko

Sorry if i have miss led you as others have said this is a great forum for all cars 7 type or tin top standard or modified
and there is a lot of skilled people on here with lots of knowledge
Jacko

iank

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
So all the people on the 3 wheeler, mid engine sections aren't welcome?

As I mentioned the other day the boss had a post years ago saying (and I'm paraphrasing since the post is gone now) pretty much that anyone building a car was welcome.

A true locost only includes builds from the Ron Champion version of the book, so following the 'only a locost 7 route' we should not allow anyone with an MK, MNR, Haynes Roadster etc join in?

The great thing about this forum is anyone who is building something interesting is welcome...

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

D Beddows

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
no it's not a 'Locost' but if your building something interesting from a variety of old car parts who cares! A. at least you're actually building something and B. it's definitely in the spirit of building an original Locost so you have as much right to be here as pretty much any of the rest of us
jacko

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank

As I mentioned the other day the boss had a post years ago saying (and I'm paraphrasing since the post is gone now) pretty much that anyone building a car was welcome.

A true locost only includes builds from the Ron Champion version of the book, so following the 'only a locost 7 route' we should not allow anyone with an MK, MNR, Haynes Roadster etc join in?

The great thing about this forum is anyone who is building something interesting is welcome...

Who said no one was welcome ? i have not found that, The question at the top of the page was what do you consider as locost i always thought it came from the book
Ron Champion build a locost for £250
or am i wrong ?
Jacko

jacko

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
By the way my car is NOT a locost its a MK indy with a chassis i bought
so if we are going to what some of you are saying there will be lots leaving
NOT ME im here for ever
and i hope you all will too
Jacko

russbost

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Some very strange responses amongst these There also seems to be some confusion over Locost & Locust; for the record, Locost referred to the Ron Champion build & Locust refers to a wood framed 7 style car no longer made, however, surely locost (without the capital "L" ) is just that, anything which doesn't cost a fortune to build?

Is the Forum changing & suddenly making probably around 25% of its membership unwelcome???

I have always taken this to be an engineering forum! Yes, look at the logo & it's not hard to see where the general leanings of the forum are going to be, but it's supposed to welcome anyone & everyone with great knowledge or very little, those of us with greater knowledge helping out those with less.

Personally I've had loads of off topic Q's about household plumbing, electronics, computing etc. answered & have also been able to answer many car, engine & engineering Q's where my knowledge lies.

I love the sound of the Spit as described, sounds like it should make a real Q car, & providing the mods don't involve modding the chassis (which I'm sure with care they won't ) then I can't see why it shoud affect its tax free status.

Good luck with it & enjoy your build!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
matt_gsxr

posted on 16/11/11 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Locostbuilder to me is about the mentality.
Tolerant of people going their own route.
Supportive of ideas that save a few quid.
Encouraging other people to DIY rather than just laying out cash.

I know this might not come across from all contributors, but mostly I like to think that they mean well

iank

posted on 16/11/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by iank

Who said no one was welcome ? i have not found that, The question at the top of the page was what do you consider as locost i always thought it came from the book
Ron Champion build a locost for £250
or am i wrong ?
Jacko

Well that's the great thing about the internet, I read the tone of your first post as "no you're not building a locost, so bugger off to a retrorides" as, by the look of things did a few others

p.s. I know you're building an MK, which is where line 3 came from

Locostbuilders is now much more than Ron's book and even 7's though that's still the most popular demographic.

I'll get back in my box now especially as I'm still planning something very small L locost myself.

[Edited on 16/11/11 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

T66

posted on 16/11/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
The Locost site is also good for the odd debate as well......

None of the other sites I get on, can answer questions like this one can - Lets face it why go anywhere else, Plumbing, televisions,tax returns, babies, Land Rovers, it does a bit of everything.

And we dont fall out often either -

ReMan

posted on 16/11/11 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locost
So it must be true

The OP's question was not "Am I welcome here?"

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

owelly

posted on 16/11/11 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I love the sound of the Spit as described, sounds like it should make a real Q car, & providing the mods don't involve modding the chassis (which I'm sure with care they won't ) then I can't see why it shoud affect its tax free status.

Even if the 'shell remains unmodified, it still loses enough points to need declaring which would lose the tax free status.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

spiderman

posted on 17/11/11 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Tax free status goes on a points system and engine, drive train and suspension all count towards it so replacing them would probably render it not tax free. Can't remember how many points you have to a have for tax free but with only the chassis as the original design I do believe that it would not be enough.

"geordielad" I have some interesting photos in my photo archive of some IRS mods others have done on the Triumph chassis if you want to take a look. Send me a u2u if you want any info on the sites I got them from.

Spider

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.