Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Mig or tig welder near nantwich cheshire ...
monck

posted on 28/12/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Mig or tig welder near nantwich cheshire ...

Hi all i have yet another problem with my build i had the tin part of a blacktop sump shortened payed good money for the job ...

After fitting it filling it with oil i noticed its weeping oil on a weld ever so slow but i imagine when oils warm it wount be such a small leak

i spoke to the guy who made it he say's he will sort it but hes the other end the country and i really could do with my engine back in the car before i go back work on the 3rd .....

He say's all that's needed is drain the oil rub some alcohol on the weld to clean the spot that's leaked then apply an inch long line of weld going over the existing spot that's leaking either Tig or Mig unfortunately i cant weld ...

Really id like to not have to remove the sump if someone would pop over and ill cover your fuel ....

If not ill have to remove it and drive to you .....

Cheers

r1_pete

posted on 28/12/11 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I do a fair amount of MIG welding, but would not tackle your job in situ, trying to mig or tig with oil residue seeping through will result in a poor weld.

To do the job properly it needs to be removed, thoroughly cleaned and done on the bench.

Sorry its not what you want to hear, but there is only one way to do it right.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 28/12/11 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt you will get it perfect with out taking it of as the oil will just contaminate the weld.

Tig would be best as it flows better and you can see any pin holes easier.

monck

posted on 28/12/11 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
looks like it will have to come off then lad's

Im gutted to be honest i know all i need to do is take the sump off but i have had so many delays i waited 2 month for the sump itself to be done

The gear box ect are bolted to the engine so wont go back on my engine stand there both hanging from the crane as i planned on it going in tomorrow do i roll the engine and box on there side to remove or is this not wise ?

Anyone local willing to do it if i bring it round ?

cheers

JimSpencer

posted on 28/12/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I've got some of the locktite ultra high wicking weld sealer if that's any use, number is Crewe 842043, sometimes that will do the job..

If you want it welded ( I wouldn't be brave enough to tackle a sump, be too worried about blowing a hole in it with my dodgy skills) i've used John Wilkinson in Shavington a few times, excellent job, normally same day occasionally there and then and he's not expensive either.

monck

posted on 28/12/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jim i think the weld would be better seems no one wants to touch it tho due to the fact its had oil in

Do you think that Jhon Wilkinson will do it for me ?

cheers

Andy S

posted on 28/12/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
No probs welding it if you want to come this far - Wem Shropshire

Andrew

quote:
Originally posted by monck
looks like it will have to come off then lad's

Im gutted to be honest i know all i need to do is take the sump off but i have had so many delays i waited 2 month for the sump itself to be done

The gear box ect are bolted to the engine so wont go back on my engine stand there both hanging from the crane as i planned on it going in tomorrow do i roll the engine and box on there side to remove or is this not wise ?

Anyone local willing to do it if i bring it round ?

cheers

monck

posted on 28/12/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy, i would come to Wem as i could call by furbers scrap yard for something i need on the way + i really want to get it done and my engine in ...

If you could send me a u2u maybe with a contact number and when's best for you to do it ill pop down ...

Cheers

JimSpencer

posted on 28/12/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Monck

Sounds like you're sorted - just shout if not
worth keeping John Wilks number handy, very good bloke, can turn his hand to most fix's and kit car friendly when it comes to MOT time. (NTDWM other than a happy customer!)

phelpsa

posted on 28/12/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Chemical metal has kept (most of) my sump sealed where it was welded for the past 2 years. Remove sump, clean thoroughly, abrade where required and apply chemical metal.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
monck

posted on 28/12/11 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers lads , Jim i will bear that in mind as i was starting to think about who to go to come Mot time ....

I filled my sump with water before and could only just make out it was leaking .... No wonder i missed it before when i checked it!

Im popping to Wem see what Andy can do tomorrow ....

Hopefully i can get it all back tog-ever and put some pictures up

Ryan

monck

posted on 29/12/11 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Andrew welded my sump up today so a big thank you to him

Engines all back together and ready to go in tomorrow

I pray for it not to rain

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.