Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Most MPG efficient LOCOST....
jossey

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Most MPG efficient LOCOST....

Soooo... russbost got me thinking about this compressed air car thingy....

how hard would it be to put a super eco engine in a locost and turn it into a daily runner. IE hard top and heating etc.....

i have a bmw 525d which is averaging about 38mpg on my 135 miles per day. given the price of fuel is £1.40 per litre (6.41 per gallon) thats a mad £22.77 a day in fuel.

Thats madness.

Anyway im looking at the best way to save money and need idea's

Ford focus is bringing a 100 MPG-e car out next year which looks good....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cloudy

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
A locost doesn't really have a good enoguh aero profile to achieve wonderful mpg on a motorway commute - doable for town journeys though...

James

www.warnercars.com

RickRick

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I had a random idea about this sort of thing too, there's a few small 1.2 or 1.3 diesel engines appearing now that are already very economical, why not stick one of these in a locost style midi should get even better mpg and there about 65 bhp so shouldn't be too slow
jossey

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
hasnt someone built a hard top aerodynamic body to slap on the locost yet?

if you get a 2 litre diesel engine with 6 speed box and big wheels on a locost with a decent body you must be able to achieve 80 mpg plus.

the new focus 1.6 does 78 mpg on motorway. that must weigh 1.5 tons. drop that in a locost maybe get 100 mpg.

Thanks

David Johnson

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
hasnt someone built a hard top aerodynamic body to slap on the locost yet?

if you get a 2 litre diesel engine with 6 speed box and big wheels on a locost with a decent body you must be able to achieve 80 mpg plus.

the new focus 1.6 does 78 mpg on motorway. that must weigh 1.5 tons. drop that in a locost maybe get 100 mpg.

Probably the reverse the Focus has half the aero drag of a Seven style car, that would scupper the fuel economy over 50mph.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Bluemoon

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Well I seem to get about 50mpg out of my 1.8 CVH locost on a mixed commuter run (M40 35miles, and some minor roads 15 miles).. With full windscreen, and some beans on motorway
dhutch

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
On a motorway weight means nothing, its all about aero as said. Around town on a stop-start the reverse is ofcause true however.

My westfield (1900cvh on carbs) appears to about the same as my 306 (1800 injection) in that they both average around 30mpg when driven with a certain amount of gusto on mixed driving, 35 is lucky.

Daniel

jossey

posted on 10/1/12 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
god damn air flow. GRRRRrrrrrrr

right ok thats not good.

So .... what next then....

Thanks

David Johnson

britishtrident

posted on 10/1/12 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Diesel engines are most efficient at light loads and low crankshaft RPM --- a big turbo diesel works best so a 2litre turbo diesel in something like an lightened MX5 ?

With petrol engines the peak thermal efficiency will be at wide open throttle at rpm close to peak torque -- a very small turbo petrol will give best thermal efficiency.
Also based on 1970s research by BL for the K series petrol engines best combustion tends to occur with cylinders around 300 to 350cc per cylinder.
With this in mind Honda Beat, Suzuki Cappuccino and Smart Roadster would be the pattern to follow.

[Edited on 10/1/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jossey

posted on 10/1/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
ok soooo.

what cheap car has potential of sticking a 2ltr diesel in it and great aerodynamics.... please?????

Thanks

David Johnson

coozer

posted on 10/1/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
There was a Westfield in PPC with a VAG 1.9D a while ago and if I remember rightly it did 90mpg at a steady 80mph on the motorway.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=247471

I think some RWD engineering a 1.9D into a Saxo/106 would preserve the need for roof and what not and overcome a 7's lack of aerodynamics...

My next build is to be a bike engine rwd Saxo Vtr.

[Edited on 10/1/12 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Rod Ends

posted on 10/1/12 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Veg oil-fuelled Locost 7 in USA
matt_gsxr

posted on 10/1/12 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Drag is frontal area * cd factor. Although the cd is poor in a 7 it isn't as bad in something like a Phoenix/Fury.
The frontal area on our cars is way down on a grown-up car, so drag might not be too bad (especially if you can lose the windscreen).

I would go with a VW 3-cylinder diesel engine. I bet you could get more MGH than a Polo.

mcerd1

posted on 10/1/12 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I was always told that the width of the tyres had a noticeable impact on economy (aero and rolling resistance) and I believe that all these new 'eco' tintop models have skinny tyres for this reason ?

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I think some RWD engineering a 1.9D into a Saxo/106 would preserve the need for roof and what not and overcome a 7's lack of aerodynamics...

well I could get 55+ MPG out of my S1 106 on the motorway (average over 100 miles or more)
and that was a 954cc 8v petrol with a single choke solex carb and 4 speed gearbox
mind you it didn't weigh much (760kg)

the 1.5d might not have been that good an engine, but i've heard of some impresive MPG results...

[Edited on 10/1/2012 by mcerd1]

-

roadrunner

posted on 10/1/12 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
You could always put a diesel engine in a LE MANS style kitcar.
jossey

posted on 10/1/12 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
You could always put a diesel engine in a LE MANS style kitcar.

Now your talking :O)

is that gonna be locost though?

Thanks

David Johnson

coozer

posted on 10/1/12 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
I was always told that the width of the tyres had a noticeable impact on economy (aero and rolling resistance) and I believe that all these new 'eco' tintop models have skinny tyres for this reason ?

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

well I could get 55+ MPG out of my S1 106 on the motorway (average over 100 miles or more)
and that was a 954cc 8v petrol with a single choke solex carb and 4 speed gearbox
mind you it didn't weigh much (760kg)

the 1.5d might not have been that good an engine, but i've heard of some impresive MPG results...

[Edited on 10/1/2012 by mcerd1]

Right on it there, I have 1.5d 106 that does 80mpg on the motorway and 70+ round the doors Its for sale!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jossey

posted on 10/1/12 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
80 mpg 106.... how much???

Thanks

David Johnson

russbost

posted on 10/1/12 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Well, as my names already been mentioned, I think what you want is a Furore F1 with no wings, bubble screen, some skinny wheels & a 1.2 diesel in the back, with some aero fairings over the skinny wheels & suspension I reckon 100mpg & 100mph should both be easily acheiveable!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jossey

posted on 10/1/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
russbost
not great if the weather turns bad. as im sure you know after the le mans drive home i read about......

Thanks

David Johnson

MikeRJ

posted on 10/1/12 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
ok soooo.

what cheap car has potential of sticking a 2ltr diesel in it and great aerodynamics.... please?????

2.0L 8v Vauxhall Calibra, if you can find a non-rotted one. These have a very low drag coefficient, even by today standards and people have fitted the older 1.7 Turbo Diesel into it. Not especially light though.

In reality I doubt you are going to make any significant savings going down this route. If you want basic transport with exceptional economy get yourself a 125cc motorbike or scooter.

[Edited on 10/1/12 by MikeRJ]

coyoteboy

posted on 10/1/12 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.calibrawiki.com/index.php?title=Drag_coefficient
Simon

posted on 10/1/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'd use a twin turbo 2.7l Jag/Pug lump as Clarkson managed best part of 65 mpg when they did their Blackpool lights run.

That in a lightweight aerodynamic shell, with a low enough diff (70mph at 1500rpm) should be economical and reasonably quick.

Next project after the extansion will be either diesel bike or diesel locost (but maybe with a "proper" body

ATB

Simon

Myke 2463

posted on 10/1/12 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
GTM or Midas with small diesel , or buy Coozers 106 and remove or blend in anything that will reduce drag.

Be Lucky Mike.

James

posted on 10/1/12 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Colleague of my Father's commutes 240miles per day, mostly on motorways in a diesel Smart.

I'm told he gets 99mpg so might be worth investigating that route.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.