Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wilwoods
Poorscousertommy

posted on 10/1/12 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Wilwoods

Opinions and help wanted please folks..

Do I need em?? (Insert redneck accent here...) They sure are purrty!!

If so (front only), are these the bad boys I need for a standard sierra front hub, and is Rally Design the best place for em??

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=562_563_567&products_id=10507&osCsid=jk49dcqgm6g7h34uroga0t3kn5

Oh.. and if you want to help me with how to make a linky, that will help you all in the long run

Any guidance, as ever appreciated (I really dont know what I would do without you lot and I've only been building since the new year)!!

Cheers

*edit - looks like linky works!!!

[Edited on 10/1/12 by Poorscousertommy]

lewis

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Link says cortina so no they won't fit.

I am a driving god!..........sort of

blakep82

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
and you don't need them anyway. sierra ones are more than capable, well, of stopping a sierra loaded with people and luggage, and possibly a trailer, so more than capable of stopping a tiny kit car

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

eddie99

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
and you don't need them anyway. sierra ones are more than capable, well, of stopping a sierra loaded with people and luggage, and possibly a trailer, so more than capable of stopping a tiny kit car

Everyone says that but i've got my car on the road with sierra setup and it dont stop that well.....And on track it dont stop that well either...

But then again i do have crappy pads

[Edited on 10/1/12 by eddie99]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Poorscousertommy

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, found the sierra ones in the end..

Figured fords being as they were would have had a standard fitment but no worries.. So where did people get them from, powerlites at rally design coming in at £326 (grooved and drilled) after the ol VAT trick.. Is this a fair price or should I be looking elsewhere?

Is the main advantage weight (vs recon sierra calipers) as opposed to stopping power? Am aware that drilled and vented will help with brake fade on track days but thats all..

blakep82

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

Everyone says that but i've got my car on the road with sierra setup and it dont stop that well.....And on track it dont stop that well either...

But then again i do have crappy pads

could be pads, or what master cylinder are you running with?
loads of different options i guess, but maybe its better to say, they SHOULD be more than capable

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bi22le

posted on 10/1/12 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have a dumb question. does the fact that sierra callipers are expecting additional assistance via an assisted servo make a difference?

Either way fitting mintex pads will help.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

laptoprob

posted on 11/1/12 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Poorscousertommy
Opinions and help wanted please folks..

Do I need em?? (Insert redneck accent here...) They sure are purrty!!

If so (front only), are these the bad boys I need for a standard sierra front hub, and is Rally Design the best place for em??

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=562_563_567&products_id=10507&osCsid=jk49dcqgm6g7h34uroga0t3kn5

Oh.. and if you want to help me with how to make a linky, that will help you all in the long run

Any guidance, as ever appreciated (I really dont know what I would do without you lot and I've only been building since the new year)!!

Cheers

*edit - looks like linky works!!!

I did the change from Cortina + Greenstuff to Willwoods last year along with Willwood pads.

Make a difference?......... Hardly any

To be fair the brakes were already enough for the car even on a hot track day with 220+bhp(600kgs). I was looking for a better bite to the brakes and didnt find it. Turns out i needed a different master cylinder for more pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajlF4nWJtGA

ashg

posted on 11/1/12 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
sierra and wilwood callipers should both be able to give good breaking power. the big thing i noticed when i put wilwoods on my car was the steering felt more alive due to loosing 4kg per side plus the breaking was a lot more predictable when pushed very hard on track (im talking slowing down from +120mph)

it depends what you want the nth degree or not

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

big-vee-twin

posted on 11/1/12 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Got my Willwoods from Peter Lloyd Rallying on the net, they were cheaper than RD at the time and threw in a pair of pads for free as part of the deal.

May be worth a look before you buy, search Google they will come up.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

MikeRJ

posted on 11/1/12 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Poorscousertommy
Is the main advantage weight (vs recon sierra calipers) as opposed to stopping power? Am aware that drilled and vented will help with brake fade on track days but thats all..

Weight is a significant advantage of the Wilwood calipers, the standard Cortina ajnd Sierra calipers are hefty lumps and they do look nice as well. However, I'm not convinced they are the most rigid calipers ever made, at least not the low end ones (Powerlite?).

Stott

posted on 11/1/12 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
If you're going to get anything from Peter Lloyd Rallying may I suggest driving down here and going to the shop in person.

Then you can lean on the counter while his spandex clad wife explains Wilwoods to you.

PeterV

posted on 11/1/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Heat / fade on mutliple 100MPH+ stops was my issue. Wilwood's were good & Rally Designs support brill IMHO. I think the bigger discs helped the most, they don't turn blue any more.
Click below and then on "Performance Curve" to see the braking issues and tweaks on my build.

Build Diary Link

I think everyone has diffrent issues with braking. Feel, Power, Heat, Right foot response time and Grey cells all play their part

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.