Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: repairing holes in plasterboard ?
steve m

posted on 9/2/12 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
repairing holes in plasterboard ?

Hi

I am currentley helping my Daughter decorate her bedroom, in her new house, and the previous owner, obviousley had a hatred for somthing as there are at least 3 nice big holes in the plasterboard, probably 8" ish in size (fist or boot size!)

the walls are double cavity, with about 2-3" space between the plasterboards

what is the easiest repair i can do, to allow lining paper to go up over the plasterbards ?

I do not want to re plasterborad the whole wall !

Steve

tegwin

posted on 9/2/12 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I would get some soft pine planks (or whatever is knocking about) slightly larger than the hole (put a big screw in the middle of the wood if you need something to hold onto so you dont drop it inside the wall)..... feed it in through the opening and use a few screws through the remaining plasterboard into the pine to hold it inplace inside the wall.

Then get some bonding plaster or a suitable filler and simply fill the hole over the wood. (worth spraying the wood/plasterboard with water first to help adhesion)... Takes a bit of practice to get it in without voids... once its dried, a quick sand and you can either paint direct or ideally paper over it.

I had to do the above many times as the previous owner went a bit lightswitch mad....

[Edited on 9/2/12 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

steve m

posted on 9/2/12 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, makes sense!

now looking for some wood in the garage !

Peteff

posted on 9/2/12 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Slide a larger piece in behind the damaged board by putting a screw in and pulling it forward and No-nails it then stick a piece to the front of it to build the level up and fill over it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

adam1985

posted on 9/2/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Piece of plasterboard or wood same width as hole but about 8 inches longer drill hole in middle and but a piece of rope through as a handle
with a knot on the inside end. Plasterboard adhesive or no more nails on the end of the board where its bigger than the hole then
feed it through the hole and pull tight with the rope leave to dry Then cut off rope patch or plaster over.
Really simple to do difficult to explain hope its clear.

Hellfire

posted on 9/2/12 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Scrunch some newspaper up and shove it into the hole, then simply fill with patch repair plaster.

Phil

MakeEverything

posted on 9/2/12 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Get soffit of plasterboard the same thickness. Cut the hole square, and a spare patch the same size. Insert wood as above and screw in place, creating a batten to screw the patch to. Then fill the gaps and rub down.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MikeRJ

posted on 9/2/12 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I had to do this to a couple of holes when I moved in (ex-student house!). I simply made the holes square, and then screwed some softwood battens to the back of the existing plaster board, overlapping the edges of the hole if that makes sense. Then I just cut a new bit of plasterboard to fit into the hole, screwed it to the battens and skimmed with plaster to get it level. I gave the screw heads a dab of gloss to stop them rusting before plaster.

Reading that back, it seems more difficult to describe than to do!

steve m

posted on 9/2/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

I get the descripted sayings, and am looking for a some small bits of plaster board/wood right now

Steve

westf27

posted on 9/2/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
bet the previous owner had one of those cats off the telly

James

posted on 9/2/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with house most people have suggested doing it:

fitting something behind the current boards, then gluing an appropriate sized piece in the hole and filling and have done this myself in a couple of places.

However, I would recommend against "squaring off" the hole and fitting a square piece. It will re-crack along the join lines *much* more easily if they're straight. I would round off the hole and fit a round piece of plasterboard in the hole. Non-straight lines/joins will be much easier to disguise too.

Hope that helps,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MikeCapon

posted on 9/2/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Take a new piece of plasterboard and cut a piece. Any old shape you want but a bit bigger than the hole you want to fix. Put it against the wall over the hole and draw round it. Cut out the hole following the marks you've drawn. Slip one, two or more battens into the hole and fix them in place with plasterboard screws so that they provide a support for your patch. Put patch in place and fix with screws. Tape joints and finish.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Johneturbo

posted on 9/2/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
How about 3x 8" photos of you to remind her what a great dad you are
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 9/2/12 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
You all make it so difficult ........get out the expanding foam and fill hole..... allow to dry off and sand with a light polyfilla to cover.
If you have a D*****head of a son in law you get plenty of practice fixin them

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.