Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Time to jump the pond?
beagley

posted on 9/3/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Time to jump the pond?

SWMBO and I are both frustrated with current job situations. Any of you lot have an opening for a software developer and/or an executive orchestra director? Dunno if she would want to jump the pond, but figured I should check with the most knowledgeable people I know

Beags

sorry, this is more of a quiet rant...

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

bi22le

posted on 9/3/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Things not good in Florida?

Its gloomy on this side of the pond to.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Slimy38

posted on 9/3/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
How odd, when I saw the post title I naturally assumed it was someone wanting to LEAVE England!!
beagley

posted on 9/3/12 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
^ That's funny...

Things aren't that bad. We're only 189% upside down in our loan to value of our house. We both feel like there isn't any growth potential left in our jobs. I've tried to explain to people that its not about the money. The systems we use at work, while they have been very good, are pretty much at their limit. And the word from the upper brass was a firm NO to moving to a more updated database system. I would like to get into using visual studio more, but there's no buy in from the board of directors. My wife is a teacher, so she's paid peanuts and treated horribly. Plus there is nowhere for us to go.....

Just very frustrating

mookaloid

posted on 9/3/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
189% upside down?

That's really bad - do you have the option to just hand it back to the lender or is the debt yours forever?

Apart from a few exceptional cases I don't think we have things that bad here.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

beagley

posted on 9/3/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Matter of fact the legislation for being able to refinance is being loosened so people like myself (there are many many of us) can re-finance to get a better interest rate. That will be the middle to end of next week. I'm not waiting around, as I want to be one of the first people to get it because I don't want the money to run out like with the "Cash for Clunkers" auto deal they did a couple years ago. Pretty much killed the used car sales because all those that were traded in were destroyed.

My mortgage should be dropping by 33% with this refinance so we're looking forward to that. Life has all kinds of twits and turns huh?

Macbeast

posted on 9/3/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
" do you have the option to just hand it back to the lender or is the debt yours forever? "

Basically, it was US homeowners doing just that that forced our Government to bail out our stupid banks.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

beagley

posted on 9/3/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
" do you have the option to just hand it back to the lender or is the debt yours forever? "

Basically, it was US homeowners doing just that that forced our Government to bail out our stupid banks.

I think that was part of it. It was also people buying more house than they could really afford, trying to flip them for profit. I was smart enough to get a fixed rate mortgage (instead of the interest only balloon type) because I knew what I could pay comfortably. Then when the bottom of the market fell out a TON of people were left with these homes they couldn't sell.

Ultimately I think it all boiled down to a lot of people, both on the lending side and the borrowing side, that made really poor choices and then didn't honor them.... for what its worth......

Beags

matt_gsxr

posted on 9/3/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Come over its great here.
Definitely not the same as Florida but you too might like it here.

Ninehigh

posted on 9/3/12 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Shall we swap?

HappyFather

posted on 9/3/12 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
The wife and I have been considering moving abroad and the UK is one of our preferred destinations. We are both on the IT business and if you want to check what is available for you I advise some time spent on the following sites:
http://www.simplyhired.co.uk
http://www.jobserve.co.uk/
http://www.monster.co.uk

I have no idea how you could look for positions for your wife.

Good luck with your decision. Moving (specially when owning property) is not easy.

D Beddows

posted on 9/3/12 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure!? I'll be honest I love this country, I've been round the world a bit and I still think it's one of the most beautiful places on the planet (well a fair bit of of it is...... ) but it's hellishly expensive to live in at the moment especially I suspect if you're coming from America....... are you ready to pay $2.25 a litre (not gallon) for petrol for example...... $230,000 for a 2 bedroom house........$2 for a 400g pack of budget minced (ground) beef......??
James

posted on 10/3/12 at 03:15 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^

and you'll have to drive round corners too!

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Bare

posted on 10/3/12 at 03:51 AM Reply With Quote
USA is a BIG place. doubt the imminent financial collapse of europe will be pleasant to experience.
Regardless of how 'smrt' you might claim to be... not everybody got sucked in by the housing bubble.
also what could be more debilitating than some superior not allowing you to spend large on the current pgm flavour.

snapper

posted on 10/3/12 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
We've had boom and bust with the housing market here in the past, not this bad but certainly what we ca negative equity, in my opinion you buy a house to live in, it doesn't matter what its worth until you sell it or die and leave it to your kids.
Very few people buy low, sell high then downsize, although this is the next crash as people with worthless pensions try and cash in their houses.
I am still in a house that I bought in the period when house prices first started to rise quickly mid 80's the value doubled quickly then came right back down to where it started and stayed there for a good while, people around me panicked, selling even lower than they bought now deeply negative they borrowed even more to move up, I sat tight, the house prices crept up, I then started to addressed the endowment problems (10 years ago I started) now I have addressed the shortfall projections.
As for moving over here, have a long visit first, Blighty is a good place but the weathers crap, the roads are congested, house prices are stupid ( oh and they are small) jobs market is not good unless you can live off £6.21 an hour and speak Polish.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Johneturbo

posted on 10/3/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
You'll hate the weather over here, i know Florida does get tornados but mostly you get sunshine

I remember going over in early November and still managed nice days at blizard beach in my mankini

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.