Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Donor Plan
Padstar

posted on 14/5/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Donor Plan

The plan if possible is to use a ford as the basis of my project. I like ford and even with their modern engines believe them to be easire to maintain and tinker with than other manufacturers. My problem is that the Haynes book only details a sierra as donor parts. Given that the sierra is getting on and will become fewer and fewer over the years i wanted to know if this is still the best option. I would like to use a ford zetec engine but can any other manufacturers parts be used in conjunction (gear box / rear diff etc) that could be taken from a more recent vehicle?

If any of teh above seems stupid, please dont hold back in letting me know. If i go into this with eyes shut then the project will fail and my life long dream crushed

HowardB

posted on 14/5/12 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 seems to be the Donor of choice for a single car build, but there are BMW kits too,.. the problem getting a RWD donor.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

NigeEss

posted on 14/5/12 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
The GKD Legend uses a single donor BMW 3 series and the likes of the MEV Exocet uses Mazda MX5.

Whith a bit of jiggery at the chassis stage you could follow a similar route. Lots of people use Zetecs and
Duratecs, just do a search on here.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Slimy38

posted on 14/5/12 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
The reason the Sierra is still quoted is that it was one of the last rear wheel drive Fords. The more recent cars are front wheel drive, which take a bit more work to convert.

I'm in a similar boat to you, and I'm pretty much set on an MX5 base. Decent prices, lots of reusable parts, and not that far from Ford. In fact, I do remember a post suggesting that the MX5 clutch, bellhousing etc will fit a Zetec, although I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

Padstar

posted on 14/5/12 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
The maxda would be my next choice. If they could be matched with a Zetc engine it would be great. Have you found any decent sites offering reconditioned Mazda parts?

I guess that you only need the engine transmition to match. The rest surely you can pick up from anywhere you can find and they will all works together in harmony? Am i right in this thinking?

mcerd1

posted on 14/5/12 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Padstar
I guess that you only need the engine transmition to match. The rest surely you can pick up from anywhere you can find and they will all works together in harmony? Am i right in this thinking?

it certainly makes it easier if the engine and box come from one donor, but there are plenty of possible engine / box combinations

the duratec is fast taking over as the ford engine of choice, but its more or less the same engine as the MZR in the newer mazda's they make the zetec look quite old fashoned now....

there are plenty of tuning options for the MX5 based cars, even the older ones

[Edited on 14/5/2012 by mcerd1]

-

mikeb

posted on 14/5/12 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
still sierras around for sensible money, as most kits use the sierra rear end, uprights, brakes and gearbox parts shouldn't be a problem. Then just bung a zetec in it.

If you want to stick with ford I don't think there is any other option.

No point going for a zetec then trying to make it fit something else when the ford bits are still easy to come by IMO, not saying it cant be done just saying it will cost more and will be more head scratching,
If not go Mx5.

Padstar

posted on 14/5/12 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advise evryone. I am really interested in teh MX5 route as i see this as a more current vehicle to obtain parts from raedily available for the future. I know the sierra are available at the moment but surely as the years go by they will reduce in numbers (this build may take me sevarl years before i even get it on teh road!).

Reconditioned parts for teh sierra are everywhere from what i can see but cant see any sites that offer maxda parts reconditioned. Anyone know of any or is my best bet to obtain the parts then get them reconed myself?

morcus

posted on 14/5/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Mazda on friday and was directed to planetmx5.com which seems to have alot of parts available.

I might be barking up the wrong tree but I was under the impression the last two granadas were mechanically related to the sierra but nowhere as easy to get hold of as an MX5 (Unless you want an auto).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.