Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Best Locost Chassis/BEC Engine???
Neadles

posted on 11/6/12 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Best Locost Chassis/BEC Engine???

I am new to this type of car and hope this hasn't been asked in this way yet as I've had a good look around, if it has please give me a link and delete the thread.

Anyway, I have just sold my Tintop race car that I built from scratch and had for a while. Now I want a new toy that is road legal to use for sunny day blasts and track days, maybe racing later on.

After reading many threads I want a BEC no more than £8k, so if you have one let me know! But it's the chassis I'm unsure of after reading different reviews, I appreciate peoples opinions differ as well, though I would like some advise. I like the look of the following cars:

Mk Indy
Mac#1
Westfield
Fishur Fury
Stuuart Taylor Phoenix

Now the questions are, which are best for weight/handling/build quality?? I'm only short so don't worry about size!

Next I'm conscious of the weight and power available with a bike engine but am a real Honda nut so am leaning towards a Fireblade engine. So a few questions on this subject if I may?

Are the older carb 898/919 plants good enough?
Are the CBR 1100 Super Blackbird plants that dodgy for blowing up and oil starvation problems, as I'll be driving it hard on tack!?
Do people believe that holding out for an R1 seems sensible as they have the power and reliablity?

If I'm completely honest I like the thought of a Mk Indy with a 998/999 blade engine but these seem rare so may be the R1 lump?

Thanks in advance for any opinions or figures

Chris

mark chandler

posted on 11/6/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Best look at the winning cars in the RGB series then, when going fast you need aero so discounts most '7' styles to be competitive.

Or make it fast by adding a turbo and forget about racing.

Also check out kwac ZX engines, they look to be the best bet out there these days on price and power.

nb/ my 919 blade makes 200bhp so up with the big boys

[Edited on 11/6/12 by mark chandler]

parkiboy

posted on 11/6/12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
i've just spotted this which could be a good project for you if you was willing to tidy it up and IVA it?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3974662.htm

I managed to get a new build MK Indy R with a busa engine for 7500 for this same reason it needs putting through the IVA, this had only done 50km though looks like that indy has racked up a fair few track miles!

phelpsa

posted on 11/6/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
The Westfield is the obvious (and best) choice IMO, but you will pay a premium.

If you are serious about track work then the best value tends to be the Sylva derived cars (Striker, Fury, Phoenix etc). They are very well track proven. Stuart Taylor / Aries Locosts are also track proven and can be very cheap!

I personally would not be looking at MKs or Mac1s for that sort of use, although they can be quick.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 11/6/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
The 919 Fireblade is a well proven BEC road and race engine and a good few are still being campaigned in the RGB series. Also a fully prepared/rebuilt unit from AB performance ready to be dropped into a car will cost you less than most of the modern engines would straight from a scrapyard.

Give Andy a call at AB Performance, he will sort you out with the right engine and wont try to sell you anything you dont need.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Neadles

posted on 11/6/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the quick replies It's given me some more to reading and ponder now!

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Best look at the winning cars in the RGB series then, when going fast you need aero so discounts most '7' styles to be competitive.

nb/ my 919 blade makes 200bhp so up with the big boys

[Edited on 11/6/12 by mark chandler]

Yea I was thinking that as my last car had a full aero package and went round the 7 style cars on high speed sweeping corners being planted, while they always looked on the edge and skittish.... but thats a bit of fun I'm lucking for now!

How much engine fettling did that take then for 200bhp, whats your torque looking like??

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
The 919 Fireblade is a well proven BEC road and race engine and a good few are still being campaigned in the RGB series. Also a fully prepared/rebuilt unit from AB performance ready to be dropped into a car will cost you less than most of the modern engines would straight from a scrapyard.

Give Andy a call at AB Performance, he will sort you out with the right engine and wont try to sell you anything you dont need.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind and makes me feel a lot better I'd rather have a prepared engine that does the business!

mark chandler

posted on 11/6/12 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

Just need a lockup clutch and 3.14 diff then away you go.

If it goes bang then £400 to replace

TimC

posted on 11/6/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3888221.htm

Nice car and Ben's a top Lad too. I know that the reason for sale is genuine too - something about an epic journey to Cape Town by road!

Good luck!

Neadles

posted on 12/6/12 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Description
Description

Just need a lockup clutch and 3.14 diff then away you go.

If it goes bang then £400 to replace

Hmm turbo I like the idea! What's the power delivery does it all come in around 6800k or fairly smooth?

Tom I've been considering that one but having thought about aero I'm putting more research into the Sylva now.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.