Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another v8 wiring question
rincewind23

posted on 18/7/12 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Another v8 wiring question

Hi,

Got the 3.5v8 EFI and wiring loom out of a 1990 Disco. It's been in boxes for ages but I'm finally getting round to hooking it up now I've finished my fuel tank and got the fuel pump. I'm working through the electronic troubleshooting, I got battery volts at pin 15, but when I turn the ignition on I don't get battery volts at pin 19 (and apparently I should).

I found a few wiring diagrams, and they all say that the brown lead into the ignition comes from the battery. I checked the volts there, and got zero. Obviously this is a problem, so I started tracing the brown back to the battery. About 6 inches down it goes into a connector and comes out red/black, which after a while ends in an unconnected brown 5-blade connector. This is why I am getting zero volts.

I can't find anything on any of the pieces of the loom I have that matches this plug, so what I'm asking is, does anyone know what's supposed to plug into it? None of the variations of the wiring diagram I found show anything inbetween the ignition and the battery on the brown wire (and they don't mention it changing colour with a plug either).

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,
KEv.

Here is the mystery connector:
Mystery brown connector
Mystery brown connector

[Edited on 18/7/12 by rincewind23]

Westy1994

posted on 19/7/12 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
Can I ask if we are following this diagram?

Because if we are, it does sound a bit odd, all I can think of at the moment is that it was part of an old alarm system?.
Are all the 5 spades used in the connector and can you trace them back at all?.

I think I would be inclined to alter that into what the diagram states to get your signal at pin 19, after having traced the other cores in that mystery plug. I cant at this stage think why you would want to break that connection for anything other than an alarm/ immobiliser system. Maybe someone on here knows better about the Landy wiring?.

I will have another look, but my best guess would be that alarm/ immobiliser.

Rich

ETA.

Maybe of some use found a few references to a plug sounding like yours here

here

and some more discussion here

here

[Edited on 19/7/12 by Westy1994]

rincewind23

posted on 19/7/12 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Similar, but my pin19 is white/red
My loom seems to be messed up, the ignition wires are the right colours for about 6 inches, then go into a connector and switch colours. I hooked the brown to +ve and then turned the ignition, only to get a lovely burning smell. A bit more testing showed the "II" position on the ignition was connected straight to ground!

I'm going to try and find a diagram that matches my ECU colours and work back from there. I will probably end up remaking most of the loom, but considering it still has all the landy interior wiring adding weight I'm not sure that's a bad thing..

Will let you all know how I get on.

Cheers,
KEv.

rincewind23

posted on 19/7/12 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I've got a bit further.

I decided to try and strip out all the interior wiring and focus on the bits I need. While doing that I found another connector that matches the type on the ignition switch.. This one has wires coming out of it that match the ones from the ignition...

So I had it plugged into completely the wrong part of the loom.

I'm an idiot. 'Nuff said.

Thanks for the help though!

Cheers,
KEv.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.