Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover v8 amplifier testing
rincewind23

posted on 25/7/12 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Rover v8 amplifier testing

Hi all,

I finally got all my wiring sorted out. Everything now works as it should (fuel pump pumps when ignition is turned on, engine turns over, turning off ignition the air flow resets itself), however it won't start. Going back to what my dad taught me years ago, I pulled one of the plugs, ground it on the frame and turned it over. I'm getting a really crappy spark, so I think that may be the problem.

I checked the resistance on the secondary coil and it's outside the range quoted in the Haynes manual, so I ordered a new one. I'm now trying to test the amplifier on the distributor, according to the instructions here:

http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com/pages/Ignition/AmplifierTest01.html

I build the off-car test rig, and my reading is that when the test button is depressed the light should be off, and when the button is released the light should go on. Is this right? What I'm actually seeing is that (intermittently) when I press the test button the light switches state, and when I release it there's no change.

I'm hoping better minds than mine can tell me if this means the amplifier is b0rked or not? My guess is yes.

Cheers,
KEv.

paulf

posted on 25/7/12 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem with one of these a while ago and had a look at the local scrapyard and found that some BL cars had the same ignition module fitted to the side of the distributor.I got one from a rover 100 and it worked fine.
Paul

mark chandler

posted on 25/7/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
These are known as a weak spot, you can get the clever bit inside the amp for much less than the whole thing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.