Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Thinking about a new buld project
matt2702

posted on 16/1/13 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about a new buld project

Hello all,
Im in the planing prosess of bulding my kit car baced on the haynns chassis and a mx5 doner car and have rerad about oyher bulders macking there car wider ond longer as this givs a bit more space in the cop pit and makes it easer to fit seat ect just wanted to know how they would have keept the wheel bace the same? or is it as simple as making the rear wish bones that bit shorter?
Plus any other advice would be grate full thank you all.

Talon Motorsport

posted on 16/1/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
To make MX5 running gear wider you would need bolt on CV joints and add spacers to them or custom made half shafts. Another way round it is to use rims with near 0mm or -20mm off set.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt2702

posted on 16/1/13 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks for that
I did not thnink any one would reply

bi22le

posted on 16/1/13 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
People always reply. . . Even if just to tell you that some one will reply!

I would suggest not changing the wishbone length as this will change the geometry. Widen the chassis.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

skov

posted on 17/1/13 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Have to question do you really need to lengthen / widen it?
The Haynes Roadster is already fairly big as 7-esque cars go.
While there are some widened versions of the original locost about, I can't think of anyone off hand that's widened the Haynes.
You'll also cause yourself a load of grief with body work as none of the off-the-shelf scuttles/bonnets/nosecones will fit a widened chassis.
Might be easier to just narrow the transmission tunnel if you really do want a bit of extra width for seats.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 19/1/13 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
The mx5 outer CVs are not designed to be separated. They are essentially fit and forget. I abandoned them and started down the route of using replaceable sierra xr4x4 outer stub axles and bearings in the mx5 rear upright. It is possible with very minimal machining. I have not finalised the details as the project is on ice but I now have mx5 rear uprights with a replaceable/upgradable CV joint, I will have to use a custom driveshaft and also will need different wheels front and back. The cut and sleeved shaft is only a mockup btw.

Whilst my experience is not really applicable to your situation, it is related. If you find that the mx5 rear end requires custom shafts I would seriously consider using a sierra rear end, shafts and uprights instead. There are some downsides but its 6 of one and half a dozen of another.

[Edited on 19/1/13 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

AndyW

posted on 19/1/13 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Just buy this, much easier.... LINK
Tazzzzman1

posted on 19/1/13 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW

Much better off with the Sr2 from Roadrunner. Designed from day 1 with MX5 donor.
Proven design, top quality and cheaper than the Zero

sdh2903

posted on 19/1/13 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tazzzzman1
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW

Much better off with the Sr2 from Roadrunner. Designed from day 1 with MX5 donor.

Is it really cheaper than a zero? I like the look of the sr2 but always assumed it would be up at the mnr price range?

chrism

posted on 19/1/13 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt think MNRs were that badly priced, especially for what you get in terms of parts not just quality.

I think its about £4k for the starter pack but it includes loads more ontop of the GBS kit (£2645) like fuel tank, shocks, brake/fuel pipes, steering rack and more.

And from what I saw at the Donnington Kit car show I think you need an extra drive shaft as they mount the diff so its more central, different mounting aswell they appear to have cut off the long "ears" of the diff case use 3 holes in the top to bolt to a plate, not sure if the holes are already there or drilled.

According the the website the SR2 price is £4K plus vat (£4800) for the starter kit http://www.roadrunnerracing.net/the-starter-kit.html and does seem to have a little bit less than the MNR kit.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

sdh2903

posted on 19/1/13 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
wow just checked price list out of the sr2, it better be good quality at that price! 4k+ for chassis starter kit plus 2k for bodywork! It most certainly isn't cheaper than a zero!

chrism

posted on 19/1/13 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
wow just checked price list out of the sr2, it better be good quality at that price! 4k+ for chassis starter kit plus 2k for bodywork! It most certainly isn't cheaper than a zero!

The starter Pack includes the bodywork, they have a choice of 2 additional kits to add on with the extra electric bits and donor prop/upright modifications,etc.

Personally I dont like the hinged combined bonnet and nose cone, prefer the separately removable bonnet and nosecone cant seem to see an option offered for that though.

[Edited on 19/1/13 by chrism]

sdh2903

posted on 19/1/13 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I agree about the Mnr, the mazda vortx starter kit at 3.5k is great value as it includes bodywork too. Unless I'm reading the price list of the sr2 for the same package you are looking at 6k+?? I like the Sr2 but not at those prices.

sdh2903

posted on 19/1/13 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrism
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903

The starter Pack includes the bodywork, they have a choice of 2 additional kits to add on with the extra electric bits and donor prop/upright modifications,etc.

Personally I dont like the hinged combined bonnet and nose cone, prefer the separately removable bonnet and nosecone cant seem to see an option offered for that though.

They really need to sort their price list out then because bodywork is listed as separate. Could turn a few potential customers away reading it as is.

chrism

posted on 19/1/13 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
The prices I used was just on their website, not on their official price list, from this page

http://www.roadrunnerracing.net/the-starter-kit.html

I hope its not 2K extra for the body as thats way too much, as I think you can even get the Westfield Mazda SDV (Single Donor Vehicle) kit for £3150inc vat (Not £4k) including bodywork, and I know which one I would prefer, mind you still need a lot of extra stuff ontop of that. They do an additional kit for £5200 with everything else (Quite literally everything), although you could save loads by sourcing stuff yourself and not fitting a screen etc,

The MNR price is misleading on their website, I think they have put it up but forgotten to update the website correctly in one place its says £3500inc vat but if you got the module page it shows it as £3950 which I think is the price they quote at shows now, so good value for what you get I think, seems to include every bolt, washer, rivet, nut you need.

Tazzzzman1

posted on 19/1/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote

Is it really cheaper than a zero? I like the look of the sr2 but always assumed it would be up at the mnr price range?

Hi Mate,

Have a look in CKC thats mine they did an article on. Some shrewd buying and mine is on the road for just over £8K. It can be done....
Zero will set you back 10K+ to build

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.