Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving an unregistered car
pekwah1

posted on 25/4/13 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Driving an unregistered car

Hi guys,

So have had some conflicting information from VOSA.
I was asking if i can drive my unregistered kit to a garage to get some welding done (chassis plate) before the IVA assuming that i am insured.

On the phone they said yes, but when i emailed (wanted confirmation in writing for when i get stopped by the plod) they have said no. They have said that i can drive it after IVA however when i need to get work done after a failure.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Andy

Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/4/13 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
You can drive it to mot or place for repairs are carried out as long as its insured on the chassis number

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

twybrow

posted on 25/4/13 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
I understood it that you could drive it to the IVA, and then any place afterwards to have repairs done to pass the IVA. But before the IVA, you cannot drive it on the road. I had this in writing from VOSA as I too was worried about being stopped.
blakep82

posted on 25/4/13 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Both half right, as I understand it.

YOu can drive to get remedial/repair work done, that is to say, it has to have failed a test before its remedial or repair work

So, for what you want to do, no. But if you fail iva, and need a garage to fix something, then you can drive to a booked garage

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

snapper

posted on 25/4/13 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
I think DVLA are the more appropriate government department to ask these questions of

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

adithorp

posted on 25/4/13 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I think DVLA are the more appropriate government department to ask these questions of

PMSL... They might be the people to ask but you'll get a different (and usually wrong) answer every time

The rules are, You can drive to/from a pre-booked and required test (IVA) and to/from a place of repair for remedial work required due to failing that test.

So to/from IVA... yes.
To/from repair garage once it fails IVA... yes.

For an MOT... no
To DVLA inspection... no.
To garage to weld vin plate before IVA... no

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jollygreengiant

posted on 25/4/13 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I think that, until the law/legal position changes, that THIS thread ought to be made a sticky, because of the number of times it gets asked and (MOSTLY) because this is once of the quickest, easiest and most succinct answers that I have seen.

Just my 2p's worth.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

whitestu

posted on 25/4/13 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The rules are, You can drive to/from a pre-booked and required test (IVA) and to/from a place of repair for remedial work required due to failing that test.

I should think that depends on what the remedial work is.

Stu

renetom

posted on 25/4/13 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
No you cannot drive it anywhere prior to IVA.
I know a guy who could probably come to you & do the welding.
He's in Horley.
Give me a ring if you wish
René 07831 42 21 59
only up the road.
failing that I have a trailer.

ReMan

posted on 25/4/13 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper

No I could'nt work ouit if this was a serious answer or not

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

designer

posted on 25/4/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just pop rivet it on.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 25/4/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
vosa as an agency are 1000x more organised than dvla, and actually do know what they are talking about!

you can drive it to the IVA or any ministry of transport approved test. if it fails that test you are then permitted to drive it to a place for remedial work. you cannot drive it prior to the test!

so you can drive it to an iva or an mot after that you can drive it to a garage to have the faults fixed thats it. technically failing the test driving it home then a couple of days later driving it to a garage is technically pushing it but its generally not a problem unless you get pulled by a real jobs worth.

btw a vosa inspector has the similar powers to a police officer to take a vehicle off the road.

[Edited on 25/4/2013 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

02GF74

posted on 30/4/13 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
drive my unregistered kit to a garage to get some welding done (chassis plate) before the IVA assuming that i am insured.

a set of alphnumeric punches from Machine Mart and stamp the number on = job done - why make it more difficult than it needs to be?

there was talk from way back that the VIN needs to be permanent;y attached so rivetsd and screws are a no-no.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.