Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Will an adapter be ok?
Sierra

posted on 1/5/13 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Will an adapter be ok?

Hi all I'm currently fitting a floor mounted pedal box with new master cylinders which have a 3/8 fitment. The car is already built with all brake lines fitted and have m10 male ends.
Question is will it be ok to fit a 3/8 male to m10 female adapter on the master cylinder to let the current line fit. Will it affect flow or performance?
I would change the line but its very hard to get to under the car. For the front section I just bought a tee piece that the 2 front m10 went into then a new line coming out with 3/8 on the end so its a direct fit.

Many thanks

Peteff

posted on 1/5/13 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
The brake pipe is still 3/16", the unions can't affect the "flow". Brake fluid doesn't exactly flow it is compressed.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Sierra

posted on 1/5/13 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks for the reply. I think I'll look for the adapter then as it would save me the hassle of changing the whole back brake line or cut and re flare as I don't have the tool
britishtrident

posted on 1/5/13 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
As Peteff said. Even a passage slightly bigger than pin hole will flow enough fluid to work a disc brake.
In the old days of drum brakes a small volume of fluid had to flow tom move the brake shoes but with disc brake there is practically no movement of fluid in normal operation.

You may have problem finding a Metric to UNF adaptor you could use a metric joiner and a short length of brake pipe with a M10 at one end and UNF at the other.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

wombat

posted on 1/5/13 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch part

Steve, sorry been really busy but off work from Friday if you still want that part?
Sierra

posted on 1/5/13 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Is that the bracket? If so that would be amazing and really help me. Did you also fit the spring to the back of the bracket on yours?
rusty nuts

posted on 1/5/13 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
As BT points out I doubt very much if you will find an adaptor , I've never seen one in 46 years in the motor trade. Make up a short joiner as suggested. If using UNF and Metric pipe fittings on the same car is good enough for RR then it's good enough for us
Sierra

posted on 1/5/13 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have found the adapter but only from the US at the minute so will be costly

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.