Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What size tubing in these pics ?
Simon

posted on 23/7/13 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
What size tubing in these pics ?

Chaps

Next project may involve using a chassis something like the pics here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281134828353

Was thinking about buying this, but too far away so will probably make.

So, I know it'll be a bit of guesswork (but who knows there may be a tvr man (or woman) on here who knows)

I'm guessing 2" and 1 1/2" tube and maybe 2" x 1" and a bit for the box at the bottom.

Cheers

Simon

[Edited on 23/7/13 by Simon]

Talon Motorsport

posted on 23/7/13 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
It would need to be 2mm at least but that would be a pain to make straight with out the aid of a tube notcher or mill for the profiling. It would be a committed home build for sure.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 24/7/13 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Using shiply.com you could have got it home for £2-300, would be a lot cheaper, and quicker, than building.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 24/7/13 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
is there any reason for it to be tubing rather than box section? I remember seeing a Cobra rep that had a similar ladder design, but it was all box section. Same sort of idea though, epic sized transmission tunnel to carry the brunt of the weight, with extensions on the side to sit on.

Not the best picture, but this is a GD427 cobra chassis;

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_qQW_bXqwLuI/SvwsTL-ci3I/AAAAAAAAAJw/wpAZmZhwFZs/s1600-h/Chassis%20Van%5B5%5D.jpg

jacko

posted on 24/7/13 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Sky tv Wheeler dealers bought a new one for £2000 if i remember right
Wadders

posted on 24/7/13 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
This any good ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TVR-Chassis-For-Restoration-/221257789251

Simon

posted on 25/7/13 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Wadders - did you read his ad - 2 or 3 people can lift onto a trailer. Locost chassis was one hand till I put the floor on

Anything like that so long as it's cheap, other one has been relisted for same money - would happily give him £300 and spend a day collecting

Slimy, can't see any reason why not square tube - food for thought

Designer - yep, plus his £700 ish and I'm looking at over a £1000 that I could prob make for £150 (though I'll have to check steel prices first ) Rather spend the time making than spending excessive pounds. Like I said above, if he'll take £300, I'll go and collect.

Cheers all

ATB

Simon

Alan B

posted on 27/8/13 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Typically TVR chassis used 1.5 inch x 14g and 16g as the main tube sizes at least on earlier models.
(source: very good friend who worked for TVR)

Alan

[Edited on 27/8/13 by Alan B]

Simon

posted on 27/8/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Alan - its still being advertised. Offered him £475 beginning of August which he refused, offered him £600 last week, and no response so will have to build from scratch. Oh well, will save £600 I did try and help him!

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.