Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap but effective paintstripper?
jps

posted on 12/8/13 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap but effective paintstripper?

I have salvaged some sheet aluminium and steel for my build - but need to strip the paint off it before welding and/or repainting.

Saw recently on here that Nitromors isn't what it used to be, also saw in B&Q that it isn't cheap either!

Any tips for good paint stripper that doesn't cost the earth?

puma931

posted on 12/8/13 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Probably much quicker and cheaper to buy some new ally sheet. www.aluminiumwharehouse.co.uk cut to size and don't charge that much.

quote:
Originally posted by jps
I have salvaged some sheet aluminium and steel for my build - but need to strip the paint off it before welding and/or repainting.

Saw recently on here that Nitromors isn't what it used to be, also saw in B&Q that it isn't cheap either!

jps

posted on 12/8/13 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by puma931
Probably much quicker and cheaper to buy some new ally sheet. www.aluminiumwharehouse.co.uk cut to size and don't charge that much.

quote:
Originally posted by jps

Coming in at upwards of £80 for a 2mm sheet of alu at roughly the right size to cut the floor - whereas i've already got my salvaged sheet cut and ready to fit - so will still welcome recommendations for paint stripper!!!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 12/8/13 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Starchem is the one we use. Not sure what size it comes in but we bought 5l for £23. Not the cheapest, but boy! does it shift the stuff

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Benzine

posted on 12/8/13 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Those abrasive disks that fit on an angle grinder, they have a slightly sponge like appearance and remove paint faster than a speeding bullet/laser beam
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 12/8/13 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Google will reveal some DIY paint stripper recipes... You mileage may vary but might be worth trying some..

Dan

Smoking Frog

posted on 12/8/13 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on the paint would a heat gun work? They make a good job removing gloss.
jps

posted on 12/8/13 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoking Frog
Depending on the paint would a heat gun work? They make a good job removing gloss.

I hadn't thought of that - will give it a go. No idea what sort of paint it is on my alu - the metal WAS a pub sign (you know - 'The Kings Head' - that sort of thing) and has obviously been out in the elements for years before I got my hands on it - so it's already flaking off a bit....

The other metal I have salvaged is sheet steel (1mm i think) from old filing cabinets/office cabinets for transmission tunnel/bulkheads/etc. I think i'll just key that with emery paper then spray with hammerite or similar...

r1_pete

posted on 12/8/13 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I use Langlow Strip Away Pro.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.