Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Books that will help me with my build..?
jps

posted on 13/10/13 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Books that will help me with my build..?

I've got £40 to spend at Waterstones, can anyone recommend some books that will assist with my build (a very standard Haynes Roadster)?

I've already got 'The Book' and the Haynes manuals for my donor.

I've also got an ancient book that my dad gave me which covers ' motor vehicle basics', it's from the '60s, but then a lot of the fundamentals haven't changed I guess...

the thing I'm dreading is sorting the electrics, I have no knowledge in this area ( at the moment!), so a good book on this wouldn't go amiss!

Simon

posted on 13/10/13 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Electrics can be scary - I still look at a diagram to wire a plug (I'm 47 btw ).

However, car wiring is actually very very easy; despite my comment above, I made a loom from scratch using the old Sierra one.

At the end of the day, all you are doing is getting power down a cable to, say a brake light, a side light etc so all it needs is a fusebox (with a supply either ign switched or not depending on what it's for), wire to the items using the power and a switch etc in the way (like a pedal switch for brake lights etc etc). Indicators are a bit more involved (because of the hazard light issue) but there are diagrams on here somewhere that will make even that easy.

If you get a second hand proper Mini Haynes manual, the wiring diagrams are so simple to follow; you just need to study them for a while, start at say a taillight, and follow the wires back and see where they go.

I'd be inclined to wait and see if you get stuck, and even then, you'll prob get all the answers you need on here.

ATB

Simon

Mr C

posted on 13/10/13 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
John Dickens book on electrics is helpful covers all the basics and give you wiring diagrams which are particulary helpful for indicators/hazards and headlights. Not sure if waterstones can get it as Its available through complete kitcar

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

designer

posted on 13/10/13 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
You could always buy mine!!***

http://www.feedaread.com/books/SPECIAL-BUILDERS-NOTEBOOK-9781782997788.aspx

Electrics are easy when you split the job into separate circuits.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 13/10/13 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
You could always buy mine!!***

http://www.feedaread.com/books/SPECIAL-BUILDERS-NOTEBOOK-9781782997788.aspx

Electrics are easy when you split the job into separate circuits.

will I be able to get it via waterstones though?

designer

posted on 13/10/13 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

will I be able to get it via waterstones though?

It's due on Amazon any time now; in fact, it's a week late.

Waterstones should be able to order it for you; I think!!, through the ISBN number.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.