Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RWD Diesel
spegru

posted on 3/6/14 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
RWD Diesel

Hi I've just bought an engineless Eagle RV - a Jeep Wrangler replica.

As it's engineless I'd like to fit a reasonably modern diesel into it. It's Sierra based and of course it's RWD.
What do people recommend Diesel Engine&Transmission - wise?

I'd prefer something reasonably car like so I'm hesitant to go for a Transit setup and was thinking of a mondeo diesel/type 9/MT75 (or even automatic) - but I dont know if those would match up at the bell housing. There is also I believe a Peugeot based XUD engine - but the same transmission question applies

Ideas appreciated

Regards
Steve Pegrum

[Edited on 3/6/14 by spegru]

nick205

posted on 3/6/14 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Got to be worth looking at a BMW or Merc as a donor for a ready made diesel RWD set up hasn't it?

tegwin

posted on 3/6/14 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Grab an Audi/VW 3.0L V6 TDI engine and auto box That'd be a bucket of giggles :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

spegru

posted on 3/6/14 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Good ideas already! within minutes of posting
Merc I hadnt thought of at all - d'oh!
Audi is FWD though?

DW100

posted on 3/6/14 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
How complicated do you want to make it?

The obvious choice would be a Sierra diesel engine. Not too complicated, straight forward fit and reasonably reliable.

Or a modern common rail engine that will require all sorts of things done to mechanically fit it in the vehicle and all the complication of getting the electronics to work right.

spegru

posted on 3/6/14 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Of course as simple as possible, but I was hoping for something more modern than a sierra?
I can do simple stuff like engine mountings, exhausts & prop shafts
Does the Duratorq engine have the same compatible bell housing config as the zetec petrol?

dinosaurjuice

posted on 3/6/14 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Having gone through the process of getting a modern common rail diesel to work in a kit car, i would recommend not bothering unless you really want to.

Any engine with a mechanical injection pump will be simple to wire up. The VW PD engines are also fairly straightforward - maybe the 1.9 tdi from a 2002 ish Passat would be a good choice, as its already an inline setup.

have no idea about gearboxes....

Benzine

posted on 3/6/14 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra diesel engine would be easiest if you already have the gearbox/prop sorted, although I know little about their tuning potential etc. Never seen a diesel sierra in the scrapyard before, I see at least 10 XUD powered pugs/citroens every time i'm in there. That's the route I went with an LDV pilot gearbox. Very simple, if you want to go that route I'd be happy to answer any questions. Here's my XUD powered kit:

[Edited on 3-6-2014 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 3/6/14 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
What diesel was used in the Omega? that was RWD as standard so might be a bit easier to convert.

Wiki tells me its the X20DTH or X25TD depending on what flavour you're after.

drt

posted on 3/6/14 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
What diesel was used in the Omega? that was RWD as standard so might be a bit easier to convert.

From memory; omega (2nd gen) were bmw lumps (2.5 6cilinders) and the first gen were Isuzu ?
quite substantial anchors
XUD, like mentioned, would have my vote

Or also;
Mercedes-Benz OM668
Mercedes-Benz OM640

these are ammong the best P2W diesel out there...
FWD indeed... but I've seen a lot of gearbox magic on this forum

Ugg10

posted on 3/6/14 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
This takes me back to the infamous Wiesel - a westfield demo car with a transit diesel in it IIRC, think the date was mid 80's.

Edit - not sure if link works but - http://westfield-world.com/pics_paulr.html

One of the magazines in the early 2000's (CCC or PPC I think) was doing a series of articles about a guy putting a 1.9 TDI in a seven. There are 1.8T > Type 9 bell housings about if the 1.9 TDI is the same bolt pattern.

edit - found this - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=247471

One of the early 320D M47D20 engine (non common rail) with manual gearbox may be the best choice if not going for the sierra, plenty about.

Or if you do not need the speed then a landy defender 2.2/2,5l engines may be interesting and pretty well bomb proof and could possibly fit a rover rwd gearbox (need to look that up but wiki says LT77 will fit).

Good luck with the hunt.

[Edited on 3/6/14 by Ugg10]

BigFaceDave

posted on 3/6/14 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a E36 3 series 318 tds sat about that I'm going to be breaking in the near future I think it's a 1.7 turbo diesel but quite low tech I would have thought but already with a rwd box already on it. I think the omegas where a 2.5 bmw Diesel engine, they put them in range rovers aswell so possibly would mate to a R380 box?
mookaloid

posted on 3/6/14 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Nobody has asked why you would want to do this?

Unless you are some sort of masochist you aren't going to be doing a lot of miles in the car so why do you need a smelly noisy diesel?

They are tricky to get installed and working and there isn't a huge amount of knowledge on how to do it.

If you want some fun then a rover v8 or something would be good. loads of info out there and it would suit the car well.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

whitestu

posted on 3/6/14 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Nobody has asked why you would want to do this?

Unless you are some sort of masochist you aren't going to be doing a lot of miles in the car so why do you need a smelly noisy diesel?

They are tricky to get installed and working and there isn't a huge amount of knowledge on how to do it.

If you want some fun then a rover v8 or something would be good. loads of info out there and it would suit the car well.

+1.

I just can't see the point when you can much more easily fit a nice revvy petrol engine.

mark chandler

posted on 3/6/14 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Look at vans, LDV/daf had 200tdi and r390 gearbox, cheap for bits and mechanical running.
spegru

posted on 3/6/14 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone.
As to the 'why' it's because its a jeep and I want to tow with it and arn't interested in speed (for this car anyway)
Weirdly I've just been to see what I bought and heard it previously had a Rover V8 in it! But that's not for me on this project

From the above it looks like LDV pilot engine (which is I think a Ford MT75 with a specific bell housing, plus XUD engine
I like the Seven!
Also prices and availability look pretty good

More comments please!

spegru

spegru

posted on 3/6/14 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Sierra diesel engine would be easiest if you already have the gearbox/prop sorted, although I know little about their tuning potential etc. Never seen a diesel sierra in the scrapyard before, I see at least 10 XUD powered pugs/citroens every time i'm in there. That's the route I went with an LDV pilot gearbox. Very simple, if you want to go that route I'd be happy to answer any questions. Here's my XUD powered kit:

[Edited on 3-6-2014 by Benzine]

That looks brilliant. Looks like the only silencer you have is the turbo itself?

So what was involved in getting that lot to work? Would I be right in thinking the LDV pilot engine/gearbox were from the same vehicle? or at least that the XUD is also used in the pilot?
Ive heard the MT75 gearbox comes with loads of different bellhousings and that they are usually in one piece with the gearbox itself, unlike the Type9, so I guess it's important to get the right one

Thanks again

spegru

posted on 3/6/14 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hang on a sec. My ebay trawling reveals a Pilot gearbox called R380.

LDV/PILOT PEUGEOT DIESEL 1.9 ENGINE R380 5 SPEED GEARBOX&apos'S 1995- 2005

Isn't that the Rover unit? not Ford MT75? I must be a bit confused somewhere about that

If so it could be ideal to replace a removed Rover v8/ Gearbox prop shaft that I also have

mark chandler

posted on 3/6/14 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, yes r380 as fitted in landrovers without the transfer box, the 200tdi is a 2.5litre motor.

If that fits a PUG motor then a scrap 306 could provide a nice TD engine with minimal wiring

[Edited on 3/6/14 by mark chandler]

Benzine

posted on 3/6/14 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spegru
That looks brilliant. Looks like the only silencer you have is the turbo itself?

So what was involved in getting that lot to work? Would I be right in thinking the LDV pilot engine/gearbox were from the same vehicle? or at least that the XUD is also used in the pilot?

Yeah no silencer, turbo does a good job of that Getting everything to work is straight forward. Pilot gearbox mates to the XUD engine using a peugeot HDi flywheel and pressure plate, a ford galaxy friction disk (I got a custom one made for about £45 that was slightly bigger than the galaxy - I think people have used the galaxy one as it's a close match when flicking through the parts catalogues in terms of having the same splines as the pilot box, but there's room for a bigger one) and a spigot bearing from LDV (a few quid) Then you need a 12v switched ignition feed to the fuel stop solenoid, glowplug relay and the usual starter motor wiring, that's all the wiring involved. As it's a turbo engine, just a single pipe exhaust which is easier to make than a 4 to 1 jobby. Cam & pump timing are very, very simple.

I think the XUDs found in pilots are all N/A? (except maybe a few rare turbo'd ones) I'm not sure what the sump is like from a pilot xud though, I could use a standard one so never looked into it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 3/6/14 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I'm a fan of diesels as can be seen elsewhere on here. I think if the op wants diesel then BMW or Jaguar are the way to go - and as it's going into an Eagle RV that I'm assuming has already been on the road, I'd suggest buying a complete donor and using as much as poss of the running gear:- rear end, modded prop, gearbox, engine, ecu, loom and instruments. That way, the loom can be trimmed out of non essentials like windows etc and all should be grand :d

Simple, just do the whole job properly.

ATB

Simon

stevebubs

posted on 3/6/14 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr

Omega had a BMW engine.

spegru

posted on 3/6/14 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
Having gone through the process of getting a modern common rail diesel to work in a kit car, i would recommend not bothering unless you really want to.

Any engine with a mechanical injection pump will be simple to wire up. The VW PD engines are also fairly straightforward - maybe the 1.9 tdi from a 2002 ish Passat would be a good choice, as its already an inline setup.

Still thinking about this and wondering if XUD is powerful enough considering you can easily get 130 BHP mondeo engines. I've also done a RWD Zetec using factory injection so complexity is not that scary. Since you've done a modern common rail diesel could you give a few more details?

s

drt

posted on 3/6/14 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spegru
quote:

Still thinking about this and wondering if XUD is powerful enough considering you can easily get 130 BHP mondeo engines. I've also done a RWD Zetec using factory injection so complexity is not that scary. Since you've done a modern common rail diesel could you give a few more details?

s

Well if you want a real power house,
BMW e60 535d 272bhp and 560nm
Over here they were quite popular, so binned ones are available.
Use the entire drivetrain and get custom driveshafts

mcerd1

posted on 4/6/14 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

how about this

http://www.tigersportscars.nl/bellhousing_(e).htm

or that westfield diesel in PPC mag used a supra box with a VAG to Toyota adapter from the states

[Edited on 4/6/2014 by mcerd1]

-

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.