Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Warning Sierra Upright Insert / balljoint nut
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 13/11/04 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Warning Sierra Upright Insert / balljoint nut

Right chaps.
We have had two new built cars have these Insert / balljoint nuts come loose after a few miles in the first shake down . Despite the nuts being nylock and checked they seem to be prone to loosen up.

Colin (colibriman) came back in after a few laps reporting some thing fell off but didnt know what it was.
We checked suspention ect and found this nut missing. Not what you want to go wrong. Put some duct tape under the insert to stop the loss of this nut if it does come loose. (this enables you to get back to base) Check it regulary for tightness in your shake downs.

One for the check list

colibriman

posted on 14/11/04 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
might be a thought to try putting a thin shakeproof washer under the nyloc too, the trouble with my balljoint being that there's only a couple of threads sticking out past the nyloc once tightened so it might be unfeasible.

or use threadlock....think thats what I'm going to do....

any thoughts anyone....?

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 14/11/04 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Any danger of getting a castellated nut in the correct thread pattern. Fitting a split pin would then be possible.

Failing that, definitely using loctite threadlock has to be a good idea.

posted on 14/11/04 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Place a thin piece of sheet,in the form of a triangle, under the nut(that fits over the threaded end) tighten up the nut and gently tap two sides of the triangle down over the insert flange and one side up against a flat side of the nut.A very cheap,simple and secure way to keep the nut in place.
madforfishing

posted on 14/11/04 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Drill the fellah and wire-lock it?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 15/11/04 at 04:23 AM Reply With Quote
Use Superglue. If it will hold a woman's nasty shut, then it should cope with your nuts.
Seriously, I'd find out why the nuts want to back off and fix that. If a Nyloc won't hold it, something's majorly wrong.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Peteff

posted on 15/11/04 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Something wrong there.

If it's turning the nut it's not locked into the taper.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/11/04 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm

unconventional

your wife could just tell you shes got a headache

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
Use Superglue. If it will hold a woman's nasty shut, then it should cope with your nuts.
Seriously, I'd find out why the nuts want to back off and fix that. If a Nyloc won't hold it, something's majorly wrong.

billy

posted on 16/11/04 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
who has made your ally converters then? i have used sierra uprights and have this set up, as you say the ball joint should gripp the taper in the converter so as not to undo the nut. strange? im gonna check on mine now

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.