Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheels & tyres
donut

posted on 10/10/02 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Wheels & tyres

Ok i need to know what people are putting on their Indy's regarding the size of wheels and tyres. I like the look of 15" but i'm not sure what in/offset to go for if any. One thing i have noticed about the Indy is the fact that the rear wheels do not get 'lost' under the rear arches which i guess is due to the wide sierra track.

I also like the look of dished (offset i guess??) 13" wheels but am not sure what type will again fill the rear arches. tyres are again another thing to think of.

At the end of the day i want to avoid the westfield 'lost in the rear arches' look and more like the Indy's.

Any help/advice would be greatfully received

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomblyth

posted on 12/11/02 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel Size

I asked at MK when I ordered my Kit and was told 15 by 7 with a 50 offset, fitted with 195/50X15 tyres. If you are using the sierra Speedo then make sure the wheels are the same diameter as the doner or the speed reading will be wrong for the SVA . But why not put the doner wheels on drive to Charlie Brown and try the different size/offset see which one fits, I asked my local wheel dealer if I could do this and he " No problem as long as don't damage them!"
chrisg

posted on 12/11/02 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't the Mk Demonstrator use Ford Focus alloys?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

locodude

posted on 12/11/02 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
What MK Demonstrator?

bsilly

posted on 12/11/02 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
donut...205/50-15 sound good...thats what ive got....keeps speedo right and the gearing....{1.6 sierra} not sure on offsett though...my wheels are 6jx15

mainly digger drivin me

speedthing

posted on 12/11/02 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
when i went to pick up my indy martin
had a new black demo car and he
told me that it had 17" alloys with a
40 offset but he told me that the 50
offset was better

donut

posted on 13/11/02 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
After talking to a few people i have found that the Ford Focus has the right offset etc so that's the size i'm gonna go for. All i need to do now is choose a design!

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 13/11/02 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I have been looking around at different alloys and have noticed how they differ in weight. A friend of mine finished his book locost 18months ago, and his biggest regret is the wheels he bought. They are OZ's, look the business but weigh sh*t loads and cost him a fortune! He really wishes he had bought some lighter weight ones.
macspeedy

posted on 27/11/02 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
superlite

Superlite have a great deal on 4 alloys 15 x 8 with 205 50 15 rubber for £551.48 see classic ford mags..
ijohnston99

posted on 27/11/02 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.superlite-wheels.com/
Alan B

posted on 27/11/02 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Guys, talking of Superlite the following may be of interest.

http://www.xtr2.net/

Follow build diary for October...a lot about Superlite.

theconrodkid

posted on 27/11/02 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
i read that,makes you wonder?
jollygreengiant

posted on 28/11/02 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
wheels & tyres

Just read that thread myself well spotted that man.
I work in the retail motor service/repair trade and to be quite honest from my experiences over the past 20 years this does seem to be becoming the more predominant characteristic of management. All staff these days are required to have a CAN DO mentality. That is to say workshop loading is at 100% (all ramps in use) and its 4 on friday afternoon, yes we can sort out your brakes/clutch/engine problems (no mattrer that youve already got costomers asking why thier cars are not ready)and we'll have it done tonight for you. It is my opinion the management honesty with customers is (to coin a phrase) economical. If not totaly misleading.
This is leads most young techs to rushing jobs which leads to items not being properly secured or further damage caused by shortcuts being taken without proper preperation. The worst of it is that these techs are now the ones training the new starters and would be technicians, the thoughts and possibilities are frightening.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.