Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: were to buy rivets ?
mcerd1

posted on 16/2/16 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
were to buy rivets ?

I need some extra rivets for my dax and I'd prefer to keep them as close to the ones that came with the kit as possible (so I don't need to re-work out the grip lengths etc and mixing types would look silly)

The ones I've run out of are the 3/16" (4.8mm) big head ones - dome head that measures 15.7mm by 1.8mm thick
They seem to be alloy with an alloy mandrel and measure 16.8m long

I'm hardly finding anyone that lists ones even close to these - any suggestions?

Also if anyone can recommend a cheap air riveter that would help too - my hands are getting sore just thinking about the number of rivets I've got left to do.....

[Edited on 16/2/2016 by mcerd1]

-

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/2/16 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
4.8mm (x Choose Length) Extra Large Flange Head Open Alum Steel Blind Pop Rivets

any good? They giveall the dimensions (which seems a bit unusual)

rdodger

posted on 17/2/16 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look here

http://www.shop4fasteners.co.uk/

hizzi

posted on 17/2/16 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
clarik engineerin supplies, website and ebay
mcerd1

posted on 17/2/16 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
4.8mm (x Choose Length) Extra Large Flange Head Open Alum Steel Blind Pop Rivets

any good? They giveall the dimensions (which seems a bit unusual)

I'd seen them, but they only seem to do steel mandrels...

-

02GF74

posted on 17/2/16 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Alloy mandrel, this is the pin that splays the rivet?

Are you sure, test with magnet, ive never seen anything other than steel, im amazed that alloy (you mean aluminium alloy?) would be strong enough.

mcerd1

posted on 17/2/16 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah its definitely alloy (very light weight)

They seem to be common enough (maybe not from the usual highstreet places though) just the combination of the size and big head that I'm struggling to find....

I believe that the steel mandrel type can be slightly stronger in shear (depending on the type) but the all alloy ones should have less of a problem with corrosion (i.e. less dissimilar metal issues) and are lighter too (all though I'd guess it won't add up to much of a difference over the whole car)

Also they are normally made from 7*** series alloys, which should be plenty strong enough
(easily a match for mind steel anyway)

[Edited on 17/2/2016 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 17/2/2016 by mcerd1]

-

nick205

posted on 17/2/16 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I know the type you're after, but as above I've only ever seen pop rivets with steel mandrels - same for large head rivets as well.

I recall sourcing a box for my MK Indy build via ebay. IIRC they weren't expensive and as you comment, maintain the fit and finish of the car.

40inches

posted on 17/2/16 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Not heard of ally mandrels, only steel or stainless. Can't see ally working, no matter what the grade! Would be happy to be proven wrong
Well! I take it back Ally Mandel Rivets

[Edited on 17-2-16 by 40inches]

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/2/16 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, but why not ask Dax?
mcerd1

posted on 17/2/16 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Just a thought, but why not ask Dax?

I would, but they've sold the rush off and I'm still not entirely sure what's going on with the bit that's left making cobras - new address, new people etc....

I might try the new owners the rush, but they have totally reengineered the car (so I doubt it uses the same fixings) and I know they have there hands full with launching this new version

-

40inches

posted on 17/2/16 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
"Well! I take it back Ally Mandrel Rivets"
mcerd1

posted on 18/2/16 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've been searching through the links above and some of them look promising

but I've also been having a close look at the rivets I've got just now and I'm starting to wonder if they are actually a 'multi-grip' type as well?

What do you guys think ?

-

Theshed

posted on 18/2/16 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO any blind rivet where the mandril is designed to fall out the back leaving just an aluminium tube in the hole is only suitable for non stressed parts. These ordinary pop rivets are, in my view, complete crap.

For anything intended to last you need some sort of retained stem fastener. In these the broken bit of the mandril remains in the rivet and adds shear strength. This also has the benefits of preventing corrosion through the little hole in the middle. You can get rivets where the back is sealed to make then fluid tight.

There is every last type of material available. low end are aluminium/mild steel up to monel rivets with high grade stainless mandrils, titanium, you name it.

My researches - and believe me I became obsessed - suggest that there are some very good commercial grades from the likes of Advel which can be used with ordinary tooling and are reasonably priced have a look at these http://www.avdel-global.com/en/products/breakstem-fasteners/avexr.html

These will certainly be an improvement on the standard pop rivets. I must say that the rivet shown in the photo looks somewhat as if it is in the pop rivet class.

These commercial rivets usually depend on friction to keep the mandril in place. This is fairly reliable but not perfect.

If you want a really decent long lasting solution, and have the money, the answer is from the world of aviation. Many aviation rivets need special tools. One of the biggest and best manufacturers is Cherry have a look at this http://www.cherryaerospace.com/docs/catalogs/CA-1021.pdf

Cherry make a series of rivets called Cherrymax they can be installed with a hand gun or air riveter because the special tooling bit is found in what looks like a small disposable washer on the stem. You can find these on E-bay particularly from the USA or Canada. They are not cheap but can be found for about 10p each. Do not buy "Cherrylock" rivets by accident or you will need some very expensive tools!

Any rivet is only as good as the hole it fits. They need to be the right grip length or they just will not work. The hole needs to be the right size and free of burrs. Drilling twice and de-burring is a must. Cleco pins are the answer to this.

Most people on here go for bonding with silcoflex or similar as well as rivets. That is almost certainly the way to go for a road car. With the cheapo rivets people seem to be supplied with I doubt whether the rivets are doing much at all after a year or two - but for the bond they would have rattled loose.

Anyhow lecture over - I think the Advel site has the rivets you need in some decent materials. Once you find the rivet you want it is easy to google a supplier.

For pictures of rivets see my archive!!!! We all make mistakes.

If anybody needs any special tooling for rivets send me a U2U I have ammassed a pile of it and will lend against a sensible deposit.

Theshed

posted on 18/2/16 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add - quick search on fleabay turned up these

50 x Avdel Dome Head Rivets 3/16" Diam. Range 0.109"-0.203" Part AS46789 [P18]

These are excellent with 7075 ali retained stems. No special tooling required. Sorry I know they are not the size/ wide head type you are after but they might suit other people. These are a million miles ahead of run of the mill pop rivets

Theshed

posted on 18/2/16 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Now I am getting obsessed.....

Found these - super strong - forget the hand riveter on these Monel is as tough as old boots - useful size but narrow grip length (good for joining 2 x 1.6mm panels)

50 x CherryMax Rivet Monel Diam 5/32" Grip 0.126-0.326" Part CR4523-5-03 [W14]

jacko

posted on 18/2/16 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
Just to add - quick search on fleabay turned up these

50 x Avdel Dome Head Rivets 3/16" Diam. Range 0.109"-0.203" Part AS46789 [P18]

These are excellent with 7075 ali retained stems. No special tooling required. Sorry I know they are not the size/ wide head type you are after but they might suit other people. These are a million miles ahead of run of the mill pop rivets

The ones in your link are mono/bolts we use them at work but 6mm
Daisy rivets what look like pop rivets have a aluminium mandrill
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 19/2/16 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
Most people on here go for bonding with silcoflex or similar as well as rivets. That is almost certainly the way to go for a road car. With the cheapo rivets people seem to be supplied with I doubt whether the rivets are doing much at all after a year or two - but for the bond they would have rattled loose.

Black PU adhesive is the answer as far as dax were concerned, even they told me the rivets aren't doing much as long as the PU is properly done - besides its not like the old dax rush chassis is weak anyway...

as an update I've managed to find one more rivet in the box - that means I've got exactly the right number for the floor panels and I'll probably use the ones that came with the kit here (as per the above they may not be the best rivets in the world, but they are tried and tested in this application)

compulsory floor panel pic
compulsory floor panel pic
my new favourite tool
my new favourite tool

all done with correct drill sizes (fancy cobalt ones with the right points for thin sheet), cleco's and a few British skin pins too - but the spacer tool has to be my new favourite

but I will still need ~50 more (complete guess) to do the rear bulkhead - I don't believe this is structural on the dax as its a sheet of GRP with a really big hole in the bottom for the diff nose - so my thoughts are that large flanged rivets that won't corrode easily would be best for this - the larger flange is probably the most important bit here...

[Edited on 19/2/2016 by mcerd1]

-

mcerd1

posted on 23/2/16 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I take it back - the rivets have steel mandrels, all apart from the one I picked out the bag to measure......

-

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.