Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Galvanisation
eenud

posted on 17/10/02 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Galvanisation

Can the chassis be galvanised rather than painted or powder coated? If it can any veiws?

Ian

stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/10/02 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
it would look a bit agricultural and be more expensive than paint?

atb

steve

Gremlin

posted on 17/10/02 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
I asked about this a while ago and the main answer i got was that it would add a silly amount of weight to a car but if you arnt worried anbout weight why not.

Only thing i have thought since if you want it to look like it has been galvanised but be light use hammerite.

JohnFol

posted on 18/10/02 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
I had a quote of £150 to acid clean and powder coat the chassis. One thing stopping me is the fact I then need to drill 500+ holes in it for the panel rivets. Surely water will get in that way anyway?
theconrodkid

posted on 18/10/02 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
galvernising is done hot and could warp the chassis,it also weighs a ton!,as for powder coating,i heard if you scratch it water gets underneath and creeps,causing the finnish to lift.
the best thing i have found is household gloss,hammerite seem to have lost the plot.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/10/02 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
i used household gloss too.

As I have stated before, hammerite is

shyte shyte shyte.

you cant recoat if for weeks, it chips, and streaks cos it goes on like thin glue.

its not as good as you expect by far. A external gloss with UNDERCOAT even if it says you dont need one, is cheaper and can be painted over in a few hours.

you are unlikely to take an open car out in the rain a lot, and its not as if you are gonna keep it ten years.....

atb

steve

[Edited on 18/10/02 by stephen_gusterson]

Alan B

posted on 18/10/02 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree Steve

I painted my buggy frame with a household primer/undercoat and then gloss top coat....

Still looks good after many races and tons of crap on it!

http://www.desicodesign.com/Calabrina/

[Edited on 10/18/02 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/10/02 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
your workshop looks like a paradise.

i am a week away from finishing my garage extension (8 ft sq lean to shed) and i still will be only able to walk 3 paces without hitting summat.

atb

steve

stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/10/02 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
btw

my F1 special in the pic was made for a school play for my son six years ago. Its painted in crayon, and has held up well - who needs hammerite.

I dont think the helmet is to FIA or ACU specs tho.

The motive power is something special though

atb

steve

Alan B

posted on 19/10/02 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
your workshop looks like a paradise.........

Hmmm...yeah it doesn't look bad on those older pictures
Trouble is it's an absolute shithole at the moment with the mould making! dust everywhere

Looking forward to getting it clean again
I got to say that the one big thing over here I like is that room to do stuff is cheap compared to the UK, so a decent workshop is not such a big deal.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/10/02 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
one of the reasons i have built my shed ext is that I know im gonna be mould making and fibreglassing at some point and I can just imagine the mess the process makes.

Cheap and plenty land in USA helps a lot. Like you can actually get out of your car in USA when you open the door in a parking bay!

atb

steve

wicket

posted on 19/10/02 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Panel fixing

Jonfol
Only drill when ready to rivet then seal mating faces with polyurethane adhesive/sealer & use blind pop rivets. If you need to drill & leave before final fixing de-burr holes and tape over until ready for fixing.

Stu16v

posted on 19/10/02 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Another paint to try is Blackfriars QD90 machine paint. Only a limited range of colours(IIRC black, blue red, silver) but can be recoated in 24 hrs and gives a fantastic finish when brushed or sprayed, as well as being chip resistant. Trouble is finding somewhere that sells the stuff. I will have a look tomorrow and get an address off the tin, may help folk to source local stockists.

Dont just build it.....make it!

barrie sharp

posted on 20/10/02 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
hi i sprayed galviniseing paint from screwfix on my chassis then red celuose over the top its pretty sturdy and has not chipped off yet

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.