Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie Q - What type of Sierra ?
werebunny

posted on 10/5/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie Q - What type of Sierra ?

Hi,

What type of Sierra do I need as a donor? And what adjustments to the book measurments etc. do I require ? This is considering I will be buying the chasis from Luego most probably.

Someone has contacted me with a 1992 FORD SIERRA SAPPHIRE LX BLUE (95,000 miles, minor accident damage to front left wing.. engine OK). Looks in good condition - £170 a good price?

Cheers!

www.werebunny.com

tom_loughlin

posted on 10/5/05 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
you could use any sierra as far as i know.
the best to get are hatchback ones, they have the diff, brakes, driveshafts, engine, gearbox etc... that you need.

re. the enigne, its totally up to you - the pinto engines (single ohc) seem to be the most populour as they are plentiful, and tuning parts are cheap.

if you use all the bits from a single donor, you have a good chance on getting a proper age related plate (see seperate discussions for pros and cons), and if you want, upgrde the engine at a later date.

If your sierra has rear discs, then thats great, but you dont need them by any means - drums are more than ample.

i would offer about £50 ish and see from there, most people seem to pay about £100 - but im cheeky, and a student

all the best mate

Tom

JoelP

posted on 10/5/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
theres no need to pay 170 for a donor - i wouldnt even pay that for a 2.3 diesel or a 4x4 (value in the diff, either ratio or lsd). you will find suitable sierras ending EVERY day on ebay, pick one with the engine you want, ideally (IMHO) the old 2 litre pinto ones (simple wiring as a start). Most will be £50 and you can drive it home.

Andybarbet

posted on 10/5/05 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I paid £70 for my F reg saphire with a months MOT left on it, it was a 2 litre injection which is apparently the best type of pinto engine to go for as its unleaded, 205 block and was one of the last pinto engines to be used, i think that all the injected pinto cars also had rear discs too, you can junk the fuel injection if you want but im gonna keep mine and shorten the plenum to fit.

As far as chassis mods, I have a luego Velocity kit which is made for sierra running gear and no mods are needed ?? unless your going for locost fibre glass bits which may cause a height problem with the pinto engine under the bonnet ?

[Edited on 10/5/05 by Andybarbet]

ReMan

posted on 10/5/05 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
£100 for my 4x4 off ebay drove it home
right diff, right brakes, wrong rack and prop remember
You should get a standard Sierra for 50-100 or its too good!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.