Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Grenada engine removal tips needed
ADD

posted on 26/11/02 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Grenada engine removal tips needed

Hi, I am very new to this, but have just started dismantling my donar grenada. I have gotten to the stage of taking the engine out. In the haynes manual it says to support the transmission with a trolley jack however I need to move the car in order to drop the engine back down to the floor is it possible to just leave the g-box hanging on the one bracket with out bending anything. Or has anyone got any better ideas???
stephen_gusterson

posted on 26/11/02 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
is it possible to put a rope under the box and tie it to a beam of rhs box section above the car?

If you cant rope it to the box, you could make up a bracket and fix it to a bolt or two at the top of the bell housing.

The box is held on a single rubber mount. If you dont support the front it will droop down and force the prop up to the floor. This might not be a problem......but I recon roping it up would be easy.

You could even make up a T shaped bracket out of two bits of RHS - one across the bonnet and the other going down to a bolt at the top of the box....no rope involved. just weld the two together on the car, so no rope tensioning problems.

atb

steve

OR

Put the box on a trolley jack, cut the front lower member off the car, and just pull the engine straight out the front.

atb

steve

[Edited on 26/11/02 by stephen_gusterson]

chrisg

posted on 26/11/02 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using a hoist to take the engine out? I recently took the engine and box out of a Mk3 Granada without a hoist - I didn't need to move the car, why do you think you have to shift it?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

bsilly

posted on 26/11/02 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
eh....ive been removing/refitting engines since i was 6....in my experience youve gotta move either the crane or the car once yerv lifted the engine up...if you dont yer cant put the engine down on the floor stephens idea of supporting the box is a good one if not a bit over the top....if yer put a trolley jack under the box yer can still push the car backwards..

mainly digger drivin me

stephen_gusterson

posted on 26/11/02 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
actually, I was quite pleased with that one....

just one hole to drill, two bits of rhs and one weld.

Easiest engine I ever took out was a hillman imp - comes out on a trolley jack

sg_frost
Builder

Posts 104
Registered 6/11/02

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roaster in college with students, gulp!

posted on 27/11/02 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
if the granada is a donor car destined for scrap, is it important thatthe prop doesnt hit the floor? Just drop the box with the engine and separate it on the floor, much easier. And as said earlier, cut the front crossmember out and slide the engine forward
interestedparty

posted on 27/11/02 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
General rule of engine and box removal for any car made in the last 20 years or so, take off gear lever, put a rope around the gearbox and up into the car through the gear lever hole, pass a piece of bar through the loop of rope. Remove gearbox mounting
Jack front of car up, place home made wooden trolley with castors underneath engine and box. Unbolt crossmember and struts etc. , undo gearbox rope, lift car off engine and box, pull trolley with engine and box on it out from under the car. This method will work with at least 90% of cars

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

bsilly

posted on 27/11/02 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
what yer could do is...disconnect battery..diconect fuel lines....remove starter....remove exaust downpipe....same for throttle cable....radiator pipes.....heater pipes...remove propshaft...remove gearbox bolts....remove radiator....get yer crane....put yer straps on manifolds.....and lift it out.....the time it took me to type this.......2 lads could have easily done the full job....

mainly digger drivin me

bsilly

posted on 27/11/02 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
where are yer at add....if yer within spittin distance i'll come and help yer.... im gettin adjitated think i'll go and tek me engine out and put it back in again

mainly digger drivin me

bsilly

posted on 27/11/02 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
ahhhhh thats better..

mainly digger drivin me

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/11/02 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bsilly
ahhhhh thats better..

you could always just unscrew the gear lever, and take the engine out thro the front complete with the box.......

atb

steve

I didnt realise we had listers in grenada!

[Edited on 27/11/02 by stephen_gusterson]

ADD

posted on 27/11/02 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone

Cheers all, I used a rope and managed to support the g-box between the tops of the suspension struts - worked like a dream - I don't know why I hadn't thought of it!!. No doudt I will be posting more replies in the comming months!!
jollygreengiant

posted on 28/11/02 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Granada Engine removal

Final word on matter.

Glad you got it 0ut ok Add.

For reference Sierra AND Granada gear box mounts are sliding mounts in the bodyshell, early bodies were long and contiuous, later bodies were split slide holes. these allow you to slide the gearboxes back (with propshaft and gearstick removed) to a point where the first-motion shaft clears the clutch (almost) for engine removal, but the clever bit is that the gearbox supports its self on the antiroll/track control bar. hey presto no rope or supprts requied for the gearbox and the engine comes out with a lot less jiggling.

Oh and if your doing a clutch replacement you don't need to remove gearbox like this cos the clutch comes out of the gap and no heavy gearbox lifting (about an hour on the floor!) and don't forget to undo the speedo drive/connector.

Liam

posted on 28/11/02 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Oh - too late now, but I cut the front of the car off and pulled the engine and box out with a transit van. Easy peasy.

Did I mention I didn't want to keep the engine?

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.