Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What if the inspector can't see stuff
Nick Davison

posted on 1/6/05 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
What if the inspector can't see stuff

If the SVA inspector can't see some specific and vital inspection points because of no access etc what can/will he want me to do. Mainly seat belt mounts (because of carpets and seats) and brake bias bar (because of covering pannels and additional components mounted on top)?

Nick

flak monkey

posted on 1/6/05 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Its usually worth taking some good clear photos of those bits that are hidden, so if he/she queries then you can show them something.

AFAIK they are allowed to ask you to remove certain bits of the car, but not sure what that stops at. I think its only trim, nothing major.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Hellfire

posted on 1/6/05 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Basically - the SVA man is not stupid. If the quality of the car is consistantly good he is less inclined to go digging! If your build is a bit suspect he will investigate further...

At the end of the day - he is there to protect you and to maintain a high standard of safety. If you (god forbid) total it on the way out he is going to be responsible in some way, so he has to protect himself too.

HTH

David Jenkins

posted on 1/6/05 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
The SVA man invited me to look at something under the car when it was up on the hoist - you can see a hell of a lot from down there!
I believe that he can ask you to lift or open any part that's not permanently fixed (inspection covers, loose carpets, etc.).
Taking pictures is a good idea, but make sure that they are an honest view - don't look as though you're trying to hide something! Take a few different views of each item, just to be sure.

cheers,
David

Fozzie

posted on 1/6/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Mine asked me if I would remove one seat, of which I was happy to oblige!
The lower seat belt mountings could be seen, but he wanted to make sure that it was as safe as it looked!
As said before, its only your safety (and other road users) that they are concerned about!

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

DarrenW

posted on 1/6/05 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
My father failed first time and was told to make the seat belt mountings and under tunnel area available for inspection on the re-test.

A good tip i was given was to take a photo album, theres a good chance these will suffice.

Nick Davison

posted on 1/6/05 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys it looks like loads of photos then.
Interesting about the seat belt anchorage Darren and Fozzie, that is one of the main areas I was concerned about as they will have carpet and close fitting seats covering them. The last thing I want is to have to strip the car down again for the retest, it isn't the most straightforward build.

Many thanks
Nick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.