Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Virgin Builder Enquiry
flyingfuji

posted on 20/9/05 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Virgin Builder Enquiry

Hi, Guy's Three new builders here aged 14, 16 and 40! Gues it's the old yin thats providing the cash! Anyway, just about ready to go and cut the steel for the chassis...bog standard, just as in the book.
Looking at various sites there are sporadic mentions of errors or irregularities with the chassis details in the latest version (February 2004) which I appear to have. I am now at the metal buying stage and really need assurance that all is correct in the book. Are there any problems with the book contents? I know Gremlins are all to eager to do their work at the printers, but are there any errors builders should be aware of?
Thanks chaps, in anticipation of some good answers.

Hellfire

posted on 20/9/05 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Can't answer your questions about the chassis but there are loads on here that will.

May we be the first to welcome you to the Madhouse.

Good luck with the build

TimC

posted on 20/9/05 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
And I thought you were building a virgin..

How dissapointing!

Russ-Turner

posted on 20/9/05 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Tubes FU1 and FU2 will give you a bit of hassle. Best to think a few tubes ahead. One thing i only did half way through was paint all of said tubes in red oxide, then used the grinder to clean it off where i was going to weld it. Good luck mate.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kb58

posted on 20/9/05 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
You need to read more before jumping in!

Reading is cheap, buying or building the wrong stuff isn't. Do a search here for "McSorley"; he has corrected drawings and you should use his instead of the book's.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 20/9/05 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
You need to read more before jumping in!

Reading is cheap, buying or building the wrong stuff isn't. Do a search here for "McSorley"; he has corrected drawings and you should use his instead of the book's.

Agreed!

Get the http://www.mcsorley.net plans or else you're a fool!

Leave out FU1/2 till last as they'll need moving a load.

And make sure you make a jig for your chassis brackets (See my photo archive). Use this also to place FU1/2 accurately.

Also, read up on the LA/LB assembly at the front as it could do with being changed so you can better place your suspension brackets without bracing.

Hope that helps, but please read through the archives!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mix

posted on 21/9/05 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
I agree, download the McSorley plans, but use them in conjunction with the book.
The main book errors as far as the basic chassis goes are in the position of the FU tubes and the trailing arm attachments. There are other errors which have crept in when the imperial measurements were converted to metric so check before you cut.
The main area where McSorley will not help is in the castor angle of the front uprights and the associated placing of the brackets, as suggested above, search that one out on here. Also have a look at Cymtrik's chassis stiffening mods, you may wish to incorporate some of them.
I am really enjoying building my chassis but strongly reccomend you do a bit more reading on here before you get too far into the build.
That said theres no reason not to buy the basic chassis material and start slowly.

Cheers Mick

flyingfuji

posted on 21/9/05 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Building Virgins Part 2

Thanks lads, I'll hold off until I've done a bit of reading and I'll try to source some plans then. I'll let you know how the disaster unfolds.
Cheers

paul v6

posted on 21/9/05 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys, I'm at the planning stages so still reading everything I can find regarding chassis mods, I understand Cymtrik has made changes which have greatly improved chassis stiffness but I cant find any drawings or specific details of what he has done??
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Paul

Mix

posted on 21/9/05 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Search under user name cymtriks

Mick

Gav

posted on 21/9/05 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
http://locost7.info/mirror/mirror.php

their is a .doc file in their somewhere, the document he produced, good reading.

Alan B

posted on 22/9/05 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul v6
Hi Guys, I'm at the planning stages so still reading everything I can find regarding chassis mods, I understand Cymtrik has made changes which have greatly improved chassis stiffness but I cant find any drawings or specific details of what he has done??
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Paul

Cymtrik's mods are theoretical unless someone has followed them and proven their value.
I'm not saying they aren't good mods as they seem to make sense, just saying they aren't proven, unlike the Austraian mods which are well tested.

Peteff

posted on 22/9/05 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
I built my car before I was on the internet and used the book but altered to fit a Sierra engine and gearbox. Whatever mistakes are in the book will leap out and hit you in the face if you have any common sense at all. There are enough standard chassis running round to illustrate that they don't need much in the way of stiffening if you are in the U.K. If you are so unsure you may be better off buying a chassis form a tried and tested supplier. You will most likely alter bits as you go along anyway, just get in there.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.