Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GSXR and big oil cooler???
paul v6

posted on 22/9/05 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
GSXR and big oil cooler???

Hi Guys,
I'm quite keen on fitting a GSXR 1100 oil cooled motor due to a number of reasons that suit them to a BEC, but despite reading a number of archive posts have failed to find a definitive answer as to whether or not it is possible to effectively keep them cool??

An idea would be to fit a large cooler and high speed electric fan at 45 degrees allowing air flow via nose cone mouth to still reach the engine??

What do you think?

Paul

paul v6

posted on 22/9/05 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote

Something like this+ big fan

MikeR

posted on 22/9/05 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
i'd also think of finding a way to vent the air to make sure it moves quickly past the engine.

Perhaps you also need a stat on the oil cooler to make sure that you don't over cool the engine (if possible).

garage19

posted on 22/9/05 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I've always wondered about the fitment of air/oil cooled suzuki lumps in kit cars.

The bandit twelve lump is a stonking engine and very cheap to tune. If you slot in some new liners and and bore the crank cases you can even run 1371cc!!

I guess you would just need to ensure you have very good, ducted airflow through your engine bay?

ned

posted on 22/9/05 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
surely it'd be easy to put some ducts in the side panels for air to exit the engine bay from, use big hoses to route the air through, must be plenty of space in a bec engine bay to do that..?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tadltd

posted on 22/9/05 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Why not use Porsche 911 oil coolers or a similar spec' (for the air-cooled boxer engine) - they'll provide enough cooling for your the GSXR . I'd also recommend fitting an oil 'stat.

Like Ned says, ensure you duct the airflow and vent the body and you shouldn't have a problem. The 911 had it's engine in a worse place, but it still performed! If you use a Pacet fan (or such like) that mounts to the heat exchanger with special zip-ties, you don't need to worry about blocking airflow.

As the car moves through the air, the fan should be turning of it's own accord and directing airflow at the engine (due to the design of the blades, it should rotate the same way as it would when switched on). You therefore don't need to angle it. If you're really worried, how about mounting 2 smaller oil coolers on each side of the nose cone, with a gap between them to allow air straight through.

In addition, the longer plumbing will also aid cooling as the tubes/hoses themselves will transfer heat to atmosphere.

[Edited on 22/9/05 by tadltd]

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 22/9/05 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
i think the legends series use an oil cooled engine - they do have some issues with over heating.

(ok, i can't remember the series but i know one race series uses oil cooled engines in an enclosed body.)

find them and ask questions.

phelpsa

posted on 22/9/05 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a GSXR 1100 oil/air cooled engine. The oil cooler i have is a massive mocal one (34 row or something), and should be plently. One thing you have to watch is that the engine is quite tall! A subaru style scoop on the top my help with cooling.

Adam

paul v6

posted on 22/9/05 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Would I also need to fit a dry sump to a GSXR lump??

Paul

phelpsa

posted on 23/9/05 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
No, I talked to Chris Allanson of Z-cars and he recommended just an overfill of oil.

Adam

paul v6

posted on 23/9/05 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thats a result!! Having seen a few dry sump systems and there prices my buget was looking well and truely blown!!

Paul

phelpsa

posted on 23/9/05 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul v6
Thats a result!! Having seen a few dry sump systems and there prices my buget was looking well and truely blown!!

Paul

Yeh. The sump may need to be chopped, but someone like Z-cars can do that for not a lot of money.

Adam

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.