Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kit manufacturers ?
romer

posted on 14/11/05 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Kit manufacturers ?

Is it me, or is the kit industry not at the fore-front of customer awareness.

Have spoken to a couple of manufacturers (no names mentioned) -
one, the phone was answered as though I'd interupted at the point of a final minute penalty in an important match (assuming your into football (I'm not!))
ie the manufacturer appeared to have NO interest whatsoever in my genuine questions.
The other was also a bit indifferent, but more open and willing to discuss (sell) their product.
The other - I'm still waiting for a sales brochure allegedly sent.

Now, as I say maybe it's me, but there's so many manufacturers out there, you'd have thought they would have been more professional in there salesmanship - if I've gone to the trouble of phoning, I'm at least interested.

Romer

Triton

posted on 14/11/05 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
No doubt these firms will have excuses but that's no excuse....If you have taken the time to ring to get info etc the least they can do is sound interested....perhaps they don't deserve your custom?

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 14/11/05 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble is that most of the smaller kit car manufacturers are tiny operations - one or two man bands - and have little spare time to deal with customers. Often they cannot afford to have a permanent phone-answerer, so they have to stop paying work to talk to you. Not good, but maybe understandable.

it's not until you get up to major manufacturers like Westfield that you will encounter professional service (but you have to pay for it when you buy your kit)

rgds,
David

daz

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by romer
Is it me, or is the kit industry not at the fore-front of customer awareness.

Have spoken to a couple of manufacturers (no names mentioned) -
one, the phone was answered as though I'd interupted at the point of a final minute penalty in an important match (assuming your into football (I'm not!))
ie the manufacturer appeared to have NO interest whatsoever in my genuine questions.
The other was also a bit indifferent, but more open and willing to discuss (sell) their product.
The other - I'm still waiting for a sales brochure allegedly sent.

Now, as I say maybe it's me, but there's so many manufacturers out there, you'd have thought they would have been more professional in there salesmanship - if I've gone to the trouble of phoning, I'm at least interested.

Romer

im guessing one of them was robin hood, dont even bother going to look round at the company, you might aswell talk to a brick wall

Hammerhead

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
I suggest that they invest in an answer phone and spend the last/first 1/2 hour of each day talking to their customers. I am still waiting for my emailed to be replied to from a company that I have placed an order with. Is it too much to ask for a delivery date for the kit??
They need to look into being a bit more customer friendly - or at least create comprehensive FAQ pages on their websites. Rant over!

David Jenkins

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Many have been severely embarrased by their own popularity! They get a name for a good product, then find that they can't keep up with demand... and get a bad name.

It's happened so many times that it's unfair to single out any one company for criticism.

It's not a business to be in if you want an easy life and big profits...

David

SALAD

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with David, however I believe that the initial outlay in hiring someone to man (or preferably 'woman' the phones, process orders and market the company etc, is far out weighed by the potential revenue generated.

These companies must take definite steps toward building stronger connections and relationships, which recognise their customers as partners.
In order to survive they need to focus on improving their brand image and work on their brand value. That is, if a particular brand maintains a significantly higher perception of value to a customer (in this case through exceptional customer service) than any other brand in the category, that consumer will consistently purchase that brand and consistently recommend that brand to others.

Unfortunately, customers are still being treated as if they didnt matter or as if they were an after thought to the companies really important concerns, which is silly as if it wern't for us customers, there would be no companies.

Just my 2pence worth, I won't go on!!

Sam.

DarrenW

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
You must be ringing the wrong companies. i know of at least one that always tries hard, as a consequence of their superb customer service, competive prices and being a one stop shop i have spent £5.5K with them in the last year - nuff said.

Hammerhead

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
It extends far beyond the phone answering problems. I went to the Donnington show - which was my first - and was astounded by how amateur the 'show stands' looked.
I design and make furniture, and I am a one man band, but when I exhibit I make sure the stand looks fantastic, for very little outlay.
This attention to detail can give the customer a good feeling that the kit will have high attention to detail too, which is good considering the customers risk their lives by driving these things.

SALAD

posted on 14/11/05 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
As 'they' say, 'marketing isn't a battle of products, it's a battle of perceptions'. Every interaction the consumer has with a company (no matter how small, even via a third party) has an effect on how that company is percieved.

I hope the culprits that sparked this thread are taking note of it!

Confused but excited.

posted on 14/11/05 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Having had my own business, I must agree with most of what has been said.

The other side of the coin is that some customers think that because they are spending money, they own you. I have had clients think nothing of phoning at 11.30pm on a Saturday night. This does not promote a good telephone manner.

Don't forget that for every genuine enquiry these guys get, they must get a dozen off muppets. Time is money.

The joy of being self employed is that if you don't work, you don't eat. Neither do your kids.
So let's give them a bit of lee way eh?

How does it go? Walk a mile......

[Edited on 14/11/05 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Messenjah

posted on 14/11/05 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
in their shoes before you say anything .....

then you will be a mile away and have some new shoes !

Mark18

posted on 14/11/05 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I agree thoroughly with the title. Before I started back in college I was working in a steel fabrication plant producing drawings to keep 15 men on the go and I had to answer phones from customers and people looking for money - So I know what it's like. But that didn't give me the excuse to be rude.

One particular company/person I have been dealing with has been noteably rude/full of excuses, which is an awful pity because I would regard their car as currently the best on the market. Basically I get a sigh, I'm told to email them my problem (in other words we're not going to do anything, now wee off) and then as he's putting down the phone I get a nice audiable "fucking hell!" from the other side. All because they won't take 2 minutes to check their paypal account to confirm a payment, they just deny it to the last despite accepting the payment on their end and telling me paypal was ok in the first place. Once they even had the nerve to ask me for their own bank a/c & sort code details

Sorry about that, I do feel better though

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 14/11/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
One man, two man band still no excuse......i used to make time for people even at 9pm at night in a freezing cold ex cow shed...even made them coffee.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

romer

posted on 14/11/05 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
So, it's not just me then

What I'm having trouble understanding is why, when I'm obviously a new enquirer (potential customer (customer means money)) that they don't seem to try to sell themselves therefore their product!
Okay, I'm not wanting the "Arfer Dailey" treatment and definitely not any OTT "Mr Super Slick" - this months top saleman dialogue either.
All I would expect, as it appears others do to, is for that first phone call (and preferably all others too) to satisfy me that I am dealing with a trustworthy and reliable company, who appreciates that probably 95+% of kit purchases could be classed as Boys Toys and not esscential(spelling?) purchases and therefore could and can be made anywhere.

Yes, larger companies (poss Westfield etc) could have staff specifically for this purpose whereas smaller companies have to be Jack of All trades, but as they say out of acorns grow oak trees.

Rant over - but still eager for my brochure to arrive to see what they say. Please Mr Postie or whoever . . HURRY UP.

Romer

Dreckly

posted on 14/11/05 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
......i used to make time for people even at 9pm at night in a freezing cold ex cow shed...even made them coffee.

That's great after a 6 hour drive through the night! Sometimes a little heavy on the Grp matting though!!
Mark I'll try to improve things in the new workshop!!
Fair comments by all! It is difficult being a one man band, especially when you have serious health problems with your children, but every time that 'phone rings it's a potential new order and should be treated as such. Good advertising is very expensive.......bad advertising is free. To me "customer relations" is what it's all about, and you never know you might even make a sale at the end of the day!?!

Hellfire

posted on 15/11/05 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
I think this thread is loosing sight of the reason the professional Kit Car manufacturers are here. If you want a well promoted, well marketed Kit Car, with great communication services and after sales service - pay for the priveledge and get a Caterham or Westfield. I'm not condoning little or no communication and when you get it - it is bad. However, let's not loose sight of the fact that most of the Professional Kit Car guys on this forum "by definition" are catering for the locost side of the market - hence the name of this forum.

So if you saw an MK or MNR or MAC#1 or GTS etc etc with great marketing strategies and singing and dancing advertisements then discovered they were a one or two man band - what would you think of them then - "pretentious" may spring to mind.

Their target group is different to the 'high flyers' and as such reflects that in the amount of money they outlay for shows and the like. Looking at it this way; on the basis of a '2-3 car stand sell' Caterham would accumulate £40K- 60K MK~MNR would accumulate £15K-£20K. Using this as the basis for a stand at a show, most manufacturers cannot justify the stand at all let alone push the boat out - as this money comes straight from the bottom line - ie PROFIT.

I would wager the stand fee's alone are approaching £3K/weekend, this does not include setup cost's, wages or loss of business when the phone rings and knowone is there to answer the phone - let's think about why Caterham rarely show at the smaller events, does this make them a better outfit. No - it means they are perhaps complacent and perhaps aiming a little higher than the locost builder...

Loosing sight of your target buyer is foolish... but not providing good sales/service is also very foolish. Good news travels fast, but bad news travels much quicker and it sticks for longer. This thread is a reminder that the person's responsible for this thread need to sharpen up their act's. The word will be out on the QT and snipers will be ready and waiting to shoot them down... let's not turn this into a slanging match - I think we have all seen enough of those. The person's know who they are... 'nuf said.

[/soapbox]

David Jenkins

posted on 15/11/05 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe these places need to advertise 'a good time to ring' on their website and ads.

Then they'll know that that time may be unproductive but at least they can approach the phone in a good frame of mind!

Mind you, I've spoken to a miserable b*gger at Rally Design before now, so it's not just the kit car folk!

David

Rorty

posted on 16/11/05 at 04:35 AM Reply With Quote
There is just no excuse for poor customer treatment. If you don't like the hassles associated with retail business, then get out of it and or get a manager.
If you wee your customers off, you may as well wind your business up!
If I get someone with an attitude, where possible, I'll let them know why I'm taking my custom elsewhere. In the event I really have no other choice but to trade with them, I'll make their job miserable and when the transaction's done, let them know why.
Feck them!
There's someone here that I'd like to buy something from and give him the full treatment, but I really don't need anything he's selling!
I can be a right grumpy bastard when I take the notion, but I would make the best shopkeeper/receptionist (I have owned a customer-reliant business in one form or another all my working life). It's fundamentally imperative to be polite and helpful.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

David Jenkins

posted on 16/11/05 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
I can be a right grumpy bastard when I take the notion,

No! Really?

David

NS Dev

posted on 16/11/05 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think in the end the good companies shine through.

There is certainly one newish player in the 7 scene that have made their name through bending over backwards for people, and also selling a top quality product at the same time...................that is a VERY rare combination.

The majority of my car's parts came from a fairly unhelpful place, but one that was to the point and called a spade a spade. Quality was very marginal though, and strayed beyond that and into unacceptable in several areas.

Alan B

posted on 16/11/05 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
There is just no excuse for poor customer treatment. If you don't like the hassles associated with retail business, then get out of it and or get a manager.......

Summed up very nicely, agree 100%

David Jenkins

posted on 16/11/05 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
I also agree - you can only make a few allowances for bad service before you get pee'd off and go somewhere else...

David

Rorty

posted on 17/11/05 at 05:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

No! Really?

David

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

No! Really?

David

Sod off!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

David Jenkins

posted on 17/11/05 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
A fine sentiment, stated with passion - I salute you, sir!

Welcome to the grumpy sods club!

David
(founder member)

[Edited on 17/11/05 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.