Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Marketing?
CairB

posted on 24/12/05 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
OT - Marketing?

A while ago I questioned the reasoning in Ford badging Mondeos with Duratec engines in as Zetec.

I've just come across this and wonder how many pistons & valves have been sacrificed.

Hellfire

posted on 24/12/05 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Very similar to other marketing tricks - ie watch for a 0 (zero) being renamed to O (letter o). It's an old trick - buyer beware!

That one is so blatant it should be illegal - in fact I'd be surprised if it's not intentionally misleading.

StevieSuperSeven

posted on 24/12/05 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I thought this was common(ish) knowledge. Our local ford breaker told my dad that no car badged as a 'zetec' has actually had one fitted for some time now.
The actual engine can be a zetec in standard or sigma format, duratec, the st170 focus had kind of a bastard son with a zetec bottom and a unique-but-very-like-a-duratec head iinm.
12 months ago that same breaker was selling zetecs at 600.00 notes. Now they're 250.00 because more and more duratecs are falling out of the cars they were put into. Dad's biulding a fast-road anglia 105 and it was while engine hunting for this that we found this out.

jon_boy

posted on 25/12/05 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I think its the new duratecs where basically the piston would have lasted forever so they had nothes machined in somewhere to increase stress and now they are likely to die by 150,000 miles.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.