Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Motorbike Helmets
flak monkey

posted on 12/1/06 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Motorbike Helmets

Looking for a half decent bike helmet. Anyone got any recommendations? Preferably cost less than £50.

Its only for use in the Locost and on a track day or 2. I believe that ACU Gold and the ECE certificates are enough for normal track days etc? But not for actual motorsport?

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

smart51

posted on 12/1/06 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
go to your local bike shop and see what they have. they should be able to advise you.
DarrenW

posted on 12/1/06 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I got my nitro racing helmet off ebay for less that £50 delivered. It was 90 - 100 in the shops. I went to a shop first to get the size.

jimgiblett

posted on 12/1/06 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO by the time you need the extra safety of a premium helmet over a cheapo one in cars like ours your head probably wont be attached to yer body anyway.

If you are going to spend alot of money get a Nomex lined comp helmet.

On a bike its a different matter though.

- Jim (Arai Giga)

DarrenW

posted on 12/1/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Expensive helmets for bikers sounds fair enough. Im sure some expensive ones are more marketing hype than true better performance.
Helmets for weekend car drives and hobby track use, im sure, wont be subjected to the same potential abuse. I use mine to stop bugs and small stones trying to embed themselves in my forehead. I feel confident that the possibility of needing it to stop my head from contacting the tarmac is somewhat reduced compared to riding bikes.
If i had a bike then my thoughts would be completely reversed.

So the question is - what is a good budget helmet for open top car hobby use?

gary gsx

posted on 12/1/06 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I agree you cant put a price on ya nut even if its the odd track day road use, My bike lid an Arai was £410 and when i used to race superstox i had a simpson, even when mrs rode a 125 scooter she had a £200 lid just my thoughts.
smart51

posted on 12/1/06 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
Hmm low cost helmets...I think my head is worth more than fify quid

on a bike, yes. In a car, not so. A bike crash helmet is to protect your head when you fall off and it hits the road at 70 MPH.

You have to try really hard to fall off a car when driving. I use my helmet to keep the wind out of my eyes and to keep the weather, stones and insect out of my face. In warm weather I guess that sunglasses may be enough. A £50 helmet will be better than any sunglasses. Bike, car; completely different use of a helmet.

Wadders

posted on 12/1/06 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Go somewhere and try em on, nothing worse than a lid that is uncomfortable or ill fitting.
Some of the cheaper ones are a pig for misting up too, look for good ventilation.

Guinness

posted on 12/1/06 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Can't agree more, good ventilation is important. Bear in mind you'll probably do most of your driving in the summer, when the sun is beating down on your head, so don't get a matt black one!

Also go for as lightweight as you can afford (IMHO) as the cornering forces on your neck are higher in a car than on a bike. Car shouldn't lean over as much as a bike.

If my helmet ever hits the deck, I'm really in trouble, it's there so I don't go blind, deaf or pebble dashed.

Mike

Wadders

posted on 12/1/06 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to add, try to get one with a deep chinpiece, otherwise the wind gets under the front and tries to pull the lid off, its more of a problem in a car cos your sat upright rather than head down looking up, as on a sports bike.
Peteff

posted on 12/1/06 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
MPS have some twenty quidders, you can't buy a visor for a Shoei or Arai for that much. As mentioned you will only be using them for windshield not as actual protection from impact. Look here.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

flak monkey

posted on 12/1/06 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the replies guys.

I really only want one to keep stuff out of my face. If I was buying one to ride a bike then I wouldnt hesitate to spend £250+ on a Shoei or Arai lid.

Thanks for the links etc. Will find out my size and go from there.

Cheers,
David

Sera

OX

posted on 12/1/06 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
you also want one for comfort,we used to sell some cheap ones for the scooter folk and they do the job but once its been on your head for 10 mins you'll wish you'd spent the extra money.a badly fitting helmet can cause headaches and the wind noise is anough to drive you mad.for £50 you might as well wear a box and some shades

[Edited on 12/1/06 by OX]

cidersurfer

posted on 12/1/06 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently, the major testing difference between bike and car helmet testing is that in a car the helmet is likely to be repeatedly bounced off the rollcage (or something near to your head), impacting the same spot on the lid. If you come off your bike it gets whacked all over but unlikely to be hit repeatedly in one spot. I mnaged to find a Shark RSV for £90 that has both the bike 'gold sticker' and have the 'blue sticker' (be approved to BS6658A, it's the A that's important here, if it's a green sticker it's BS6658B) , which is good enough to do sprints/hillclimbs. Worth having a look seeing as they're out there

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

Hellfire

posted on 12/1/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Aren't all helmets manufactured to a european standard for safety? If so, it should give the same level of protection whether it be £500 or £50 (If it complies with the safety standard). Whether a more expensive helmet actually exceeds those standards will only be known in the unfortunate event of an accident.

As long as the helmet fits good, is comfortable and provides adequate ventilation, I wouldn't be too concerned whether it's £50 or £500.

flak monkey

posted on 12/1/06 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
There are two sets of standards from what I can tell.

Basically theres the ECE/ACU ratings and a BS rating. The BS rating is actually higher than the ACU rating.

Theres some more detail here:
http://www.bristolmc.org.uk/Reference/crash_helmets.htm

I think ECE/ACU is plenty for use in a car. But would probably invest in a BS one if I was riding a bike.

Sera

Jon Ison

posted on 12/1/06 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Having had a scare on the road with a rabbit, heard of several bird strikes and been lucky enough too walk away from a open top car that rolled several times whilst clipping the top of a edge i would advise get the best you can afford, every time i think back too the incident over the edge it sends shudders down my spine when i think what could have been, i was SO lucky a few inches lower god knows what would have happened, also its worth upgrading the visor too a competition spec one, bits drop off cars during track days, nuts, bolts even wheel balance weights, one of these in the clock at 100mph aint too tasty.
One very near miss like i had will make you value your head and make you think of the family you have at home.
No second chances on this one.

Hellfire

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
All I'm suggesting is that you don't always get what you pay for........ Buy an expensive helmet if thats what you want but if you're not too concerned about the 'brand' you can save yourself a few quid and get a helmet to the same standard without the label

Jon Ison

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Me too, by best you can afford I mean standard not name, and upgrade the visor. If one meets a standard and one exceeds it which is best ? They both carry the same sticker.

flak monkey

posted on 13/1/06 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4604351153

Looked good, and was the right price.

Cheers for all the help/opinions,
David

Sera

DarrenW

posted on 13/1/06 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly the same as mine. I paid about the same. They retail at 90 - 100 in shops (or did 8 months ago). Im no expert in helmets but cant fault mine. There are loads of vents. Occasionally i have to lift front of visor a touch to clear mist but thats only cos i dont know what im doing with vents (wasnt as bad when i cleaned with RainX).

Well done. You will be happy with it im sure.

john_p_b

posted on 14/1/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
got my dad one of them nitro helmets, seem more than good enough for the job and pretty comfy too, worn it myself a time or 2 when i've had the linings out of mine for cleaning.

HJC imo are very good value, gone through a few helmets trying to find a comfy one then bought a AC-11 and fell in love! oh and it's got a cool colour scheme too

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

Peteff

posted on 14/1/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
My local bike shop has Nitros at £39.99. I paid £100 for my Premier carbon/kevlar for bike use, nice and light.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

flak monkey

posted on 18/1/06 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Got it today...

Nice and comfy, well made and has a removeable lining as well.

That'll do me. Will get its first proper try out on Saturday, off out for a blast in our Formula SAE car

David

PS Before anyone says anything, I know tinted visors are illegal for road use, but I couldnt resist Rescued attachment NV800 helmet.jpg
Rescued attachment NV800 helmet.jpg

Sera

stevebubs

posted on 18/1/06 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
There are two sets of standards from what I can tell.

Basically theres the ECE/ACU ratings and a BS rating. The BS rating is actually higher than the ACU rating.

Theres some more detail here:
http://www.bristolmc.org.uk/Reference/crash_helmets.htm

I think ECE/ACU is plenty for use in a car. But would probably invest in a BS one if I was riding a bike.

Go down to MandP (think there's still one in Cov) and try them on - they're normally pretty helpful

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.